First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Not irl. But I find that speaking in a non-native language can completely change the way you interact with others.

I'm still not happy about my English as I feel I can't completely be myself as I obviously can in my native tongue. I find I'm not as funny or quick...which sucks since I'm a Ne dominant and am used to being able to quickly articulate the thoughts in my mind. Also, the cultural differences severely limit me.
    That's exactly how it is for me. I can speak fluently but my personality slightly changes, and I perceive myself as not being fully myself.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    X/0

What is/are your native language(s)?
    Tagalog

What language(s) did you learn? Why?
    English, because the option of people i will be able to speak to will be limited to me and my immediate family members.

How useful is a second/third/whatever language to you generally? On a daily basis?
    English is the bomb. Its my prefer language now, won't leave home without it.

What aspects of the language did you find difficult? What did you find easy?
    Pretty easy language to learn, i was able to speak it fluently within a year of coming to the state. Not like Japanese.

About how long did it take for you to feel comfortable speaking in that language?
    A year.

Was there ever a time you 'chickened out' because you were not confident in your ability to speak properly?
    I'm a introvert, i feel like chickening out everytime i have to speak to another human/animate object.

J/K, Speaking English is as natural to me as breathing now, if only that was the case with my Japanese.

MBTI
    INFP

What is/are your native language(s)? English
    What language(s) did you learn? Why? Spanish, I wanted to
    How useful is a second/third/whatever language to you generally? On a daily basis? I speak it every day with the people I work with (many of them barely speak English).
    What aspects of the language did you find difficult? What did you find easy? The Tu/Usted bit is different from my culture, so I play it safe by using Usted as much as possible, but it's a pretty easy language to learn.
    About how long did it take for you to feel comfortable speaking in that language? Not long
    Was there ever a time you 'chickened out' because you were not confident in your ability to speak properly? Nope. When you have to speak it, you stress out about it less, and it comes naturally.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

English

Spanish- I have a degree in it, have volunteered to teach ESL to native spanish speakers and always worked with people who speak spanish

Portuguese- I took a few classes in Portuguese bc it's similar to spanish and then spent 4 months in Brazil, where I had to speak it and picked up pretty quickly

I also speak a little Italian, but am better at reading and understanding it than speaking or writing it

How useful is a second/third/whatever language to you generally? On a daily basis?

I live in my city's Little Mexico, so it's pretty useful

I love the language, it's definitley easier than English! My biggest issue is remembering to use Mexican terminology instead of South American terminology for things in most interactions since I was in SA and most of my instructors were from there... throw out the word Vos and you can get some interesting looks

About how long did it take for you to feel comfortable speaking in that language?

pretty quickly- my mom speaks spanish and always spoke it at home when I was growing up

Was there ever a time you 'chickened out' because you were not confident in your ability to speak properly?

not really- I'm not one to be easily embarassed by my own incompetence
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENTP

English
    French. second language was mandatory.
    Cantonese. picked up a bit from mom.
    How useful is a second/third/whatever language to you generally?
    i feel real good about myself.
    On a daily basis?
    useless.
    mm. in French, prepositions and certain irregular tenses are tricky, but because of its similarities to English it was otherwise a breeze to learn.
    i heard Cantonese throughout my childhood, but because my parents' common language is English, it's what i was stuck with. i'm making a casual effort to learn now through my mom and grandparents. intonation is difficult. i'm fluent as a baby.
    i've never had a real opportunity to speak French, given the way the course was run. i'm not uncomfortable, but i'm also far from perfect.
    i just suck at Canto.
    not confident? pf.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Shaula View Post
    Spanish

What language(s) did you learn?
    English. I also have very basic knowledge of German and I can more or less understand written French and spoken Portuguese and Italian.

Why?
    No reason, it just sort of happened. I grew up reading English-language books and watching American TV, and I ultimately ended up polishing my English skills in chat rooms.

I find it extremely useful. For one thing, I'm here ain't I?

Couldn't say... English is kinda second-nature to me, it's not difficult at all.

A year or so of virtual immersion.

Not that I remember.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

I speak native Spanish and English, use both daily. Definitely a big help getting a job.

a language is not jsut a language but a code of communication. I find English(at least the variety I speak) forces you to be more reserved and less empahtic than Spanish, and this changes the whole style of communication.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

I'm actually much less reserved speaking English than Spanish, because I'm more comfortable with it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Tamil - தமிழ்

apart from my native tongue; I speak English and Sinhalese fluently and Some very basic Japanese

I can also understand Malayalam , and some Kannada, Telugu
    (as Malayalam, Telugu and Kannada also belong to the Dravidian language family)

Everyone needs English, so i grew up Bilingual.

I use English Most of the time, as i live in the US. However, i code-switch my accent based on the person I'm talking to. Switching back and forth between a Californian, and British English accent.

English was pretty easy.
    However, as a amateur linguistics-hobbyist; I can see that the English grammar is not well structured.

Donno..really didn't have any probs with it, to start with. Probably the same time i was able to converse in my native tongue fluently.

Not cos of language issues...but out of stage fright...this was in 5th grade...but got over it soon enough.

Extraverted - 25 Introverted - 75
    Sensing - 0 Intuition - 100
    Thinking - 63 Feeling - 37
    Judging - 63 Perceiving - 37

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by Shaula View Post

.. I guess Arabic.. but I'm pretty much crap with it.

English. My dad got a job in Canada and we all moved there, thus I had to learn it at a pretty young age.

I too have very basic knowledge of German(very very little, I've probably forgotten most of it xD ), and swedish( a self-taught amount).

I also taught myself some Japanese when I was younger. I can say a few sentences and understand some of the music....
    ^ and Korean.
    but thats just for fun. I seriously would not even consider them a second language, just some basic information I've engraved.

It's the language I communicate, dream, and translate with. So , I'd say, pretty damn useful :P

Pronunciation is pretty easy(albeit, sometimes a little off), grammar as well, but the spelling of some words was rather difficult for me as a child.
    Especially the I before E except after C crap. LOL

A year, I was pretty fluent by then, but I'm still learning, even to this day. :-)

well, yes. My pronunciation is a little off, mostly due to a speech impediment I have( it's not a lisp or a stutter or anything like that, but instead, my mouth exaggerates the movements); speaking like a valley girl helps disguise it, but it's really frustrating, it's not just English, it's all languages.

also, people from my culture think I'm a "traitor" when I tell them that I dream and think in English. My internal dialog i have with myself is in English(sometimes British, don't ask me why lol). but it is really frustrating. So I do chicken out , depending on the company I have to keep at that moment.
    Last edited by figsfiggyfigs; 05-23-2010 at 10:10 AM.