User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Default A Right-Brain Future

Improving Right-Brain functions is becoming a hot issue these days and as long as the U.S. Dollar is strong, vis-a-vis the third world, anything that can be outsourced will be. This will include the high-end Left-Brain dominate jobs.

Quote Source: Why right-brainers will rule this century - CNN.com
    Your left brain is logical, linear, by-the-numbers; the right side is creative, artistic, empathetic. In Daniel Pink's book, "A Whole New Mind", he explores how right-brain thinkers are wired for 21st-century success.

Pink, a former chief speechwriter for former Vice President Al Gore, presents a convincing argument that our country is entering a new era -- the so-called conceptual age -- during which right-brained skills such as design and storytelling will become far more crucial than traditionally left-brained skills such as accounting and computer programming.

While the latter skills are readily outsourced, transformative abilities such as empathy and creativity are crucial in a new age "animated by a different form of thinking and a new approach to life," he writes.
    QUESTION: Is improving Right-Brain Functions on your brain?

Why? or Why Not?

EDIT: Present Day Observations
    When you look at the world around us you see our Cars, TVs, iPods, and Clothes coming to us cheap from the third world. Yet, it is western culture that produces the lifestyles, Movies, Music, and Fashion that most of the rest of the world craves. To create a new product or for Madison Avenue to sell it requires someone able to walk in the other guys shoes.

When I started tinkering with a computer the only way to make a picture was to type the syntax that defined the plotting and attributes of each pixel. Further, if I wanted an apparent 3D motion I had to employ Trigonometry and Geometry along with logic math to make it happen. Thus, trying to do visual was very Left-Brained.

Now, I just double click the PhotoShop or Bryce 3D icon and let my Right-Brain create. A handful of people make the high-level utility software that millions of people use to design for billions.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I do have right brain skills, but I'm extremely nervous about the prospect of being forced to rely on those skills to make a living. I don't like the kind of unpredictable, competitive, challenging work that involves the right-brain.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

It doesn't seem like that's particularly true, to be honest.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

That won't happen... We need left brain to make sure that our internet connection run smoothly...

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I do have right left brain skills, but I'm extremely nervous about the prospect of being forced to rely on those skills to make a living. I don't like the kind of unpredictable, competitive, challenging boring work that involves the right-brain left-brain.
    Fixed for personal relevance.

I used to think I wanted to do left-brain related work. These days I'm not so sure. I've done enough balancing throughout the years. Basically I'm a right-brain dominant that threaded the left-brain path for a long time and now became fed up with it. There are enough TJs in this world. Let them do what they were wired to do. I'm ok with "middle-of-the-road" or full-fledged right-brain work.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Thats an interesting theory...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Alright! Good news for me!

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

By the way, I truly think that they are stylizing some tasks in the wrong way. Writing a good computer program, solving a mathematical problem in an innovative way, creating a well-engineered structure require as much right brain as left brain. Purely left brain thinking is unable to find quicker/better looking ways of executing tasks, whatever the task is, and not many people are happy with that.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

People try to split off the brain into two far too much. Creativity is nothing without logic and planning. Systematical thinking leads to little improvement without creativity. Enough said.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    People try to split off the brain into two far too much. Creativity is nothing without logic and planning. Systematical thinking leads to little improvement without creativity. Enough said.
    I agree the geography is fuzzy. The book is really about becoming more right-brain aware and why you should be.

Dan Pink's book is on everybody's bestsellers list, has been translated into 18 languages, and is huge with educators.
    The Book in Question

Here is a one hour and 22 minute video about the book's content(Pink appears at the 8 min. mark) :::A Whole New Mind LIVE AT TC WILLIAMS