User Tag List

First 12

heart on fire

If left brain people are in the majority ( I have no idea if they are or not) then it would seem the world will remain left brain orientated. It sounds like right brain pipe dreaming to be honest.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Well heart, if you go by the Net generation philosophies... current society identifies with change. Just look at advances in technology, the internet, e-businesses etc, nothing stays the same for longer than a few years. In this case a swift, agile and ADAPTIVE mind is favored. Which is what this right-brained phenomenon is targeting... Since holistic thinking allows you to generalize from specifics and reapply them into new scenarios.

Ceti: Thanks for the link. I'll take a look at that later.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    If left brain people are in the majority ( I have no idea if they are or not) then it would seem the world will remain left brain orientated. It sounds like right brain pipe dreaming to be honest.
    Left-Brain thinking dominates our culture but many feel it is learned or rather forced onto our kids who want to look out the window and see shapes in the clouds, but the teacher says pay attention and spell 'Draconian'.

If someone is not much of an artist but would like to be and is willing to explore how to tap into the right hemisphere...Then:

Drawing on the right side of the brain new edition
    PDF format. The book has been winning converts for 30 years.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    Well heart, if you go by the Net generation philosophies... current society identifies with change. Just look at advances in technology, the internet, e-businesses etc, nothing stays the same for longer than a few years. In this case a swift, agile and ADAPTIVE mind is favored. Which is what this right-brained phenomenon is targeting... Since holistic thinking allows you to generalize from specifics and reapply them into new scenarios.
    How many people really live intense internet/techonology lives though (outside of business emails)? Most people I know offline do not. I am lucky to be able to get them to answer an occasional email. They prefer phone calls. They really dislike buying things online, they want to go out, see and touch what they buy. Many of them ten or more years younger than me!

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

The left hemisphere/right hemisphere distinction you quote is old, retarded garbage. And even if the hemisphere distinction was important and meaningful (it really isn't - global functioning of the overall brain is meaningful, regional activation preferences in the neocortex are just that - physiological geography), his idea is still fanciful.

Look at it this way: perform a hemispherectomy on a young child, and the remaining hemisphere adopts ALL of the functions of the would-be other half. Do not perform said surgery, and the brain develops with split functioning. What does split functioning mean?!? Absolutely nothing, it's just how your head is setup - it does NOT predict cognitive performance, or what you are going to be able to do in life.

The "present set-up" of your brain firing isn't what is important in the 21st century (or any century)- it'll be what cognitive skills you have, not what-is-firing-where.

The good associations you are making have to do with embracing more children's imagination. This is not a left-right brain bias, it's about nurturing the best possible outcome given how the child has to learn things. It is true that more children need less structure, and more embracing of their natural gifts as imagination. But that's more temperament related than hemisphere-dominance related. Your problem is thinking that something like imagination and normalized empathy result just from ONE hemisphere.... it 99% of humans, that is NOT the case.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    How many people really live intense internet/techonology lives though (outside of business emails)? Most people I know offline do not. I am lucky to be able to get them to answer an occasional email. They prefer phone calls. They really dislike buying things online, they want to go out, see and touch what they buy. Many of them ten or more years younger than me!
    Well considering I'm planning on entering the web industry. It's relevant for me. It's also not really so much the current working generation this is targeting but those born ~1800s or later. Kids that grew up with internet etc are going to make a significant impact once they hit the work force. When that time comes, I'll be phased out unless I can "do the shit" better than them. I guess it doesn't really pertain to you because you'll likely be retired by then.

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    The left hemisphere/right hemisphere distinction you quote is old, retarded garbage. And even if the hemisphere distinction was important and meaningful (it really isn't - global functioning of the overall brain is meaningful, regional activation preferences in the neocortex are just that - physiological geography), his idea is still fanciful.
    Exactly noz. I've complaint before about the hemisphere divide. Except the CONCEPT of lateral, holistic thinking carries through regardless of which hemisphere (or both) you utilize. The whole "right-brain" description is just a way of attracting attention of the general public because it's easily visualized and sounds cool. Not because the hemisphere functions are that clear-cut.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post

Look at it this way: perform a hemispherectomy on a young child, and the remaining hemisphere adopts ALL of the functions of the would-be other half. Do not perform said surgery, and the brain develops with split functioning. What does split functioning mean?!? Absolutely nothing, it's just how your head is setup - it does NOT predict cognitive performance, or what you are going to be able to do in life.

The "present set-up" of your brain firing isn't what is important in the 21st century (or any century)- it'll be what cognitive skills you have, not what-is-firing-where.

The good associations you are making have to do with embracing more children's imagination. This is not a left-right brain bias, it's about nurturing the best possible outcome given how the child has to learn things. It is true that more children need less structure, and more embracing of their natural gifts as imagination. But that's more temperament related than hemisphere-dominance related. Your problem is thinking that something like imagination and normalized empathy result just from ONE hemisphere.... it 99% of humans, that is NOT the case.
    Geez, I thought I said the geography was fuzzy.
    The 'Labels' Left and Right are applied because of where the majority of synaptic firing occurs in most people. The phenomenon was first seen with people that have their Corpus Callosum severed (bundle of connections that 'wires' one side to the other) and is supported with recent MRI studies.

The REAL issue that both books I listed speak upon is that, due to our 3 Rs Education system, most people are so dominate in this thinking they don't know how to tap into letting the right brain functions have say. The perfect example given in the "Drawing on the right side of the Brain" book is: if you draw stick figures instead of pictures it is because your Left Brain wont let go. For many, if you try to draw a face from a picture the left brain says "I don't really have to 'see' the picture to draw a nose. I have a symbolic understanding that a nose is a 3 sided pyramid with two holes at the bottom." Thus, your picture sucks. However, if you draw the picture upside down then the Left Brain is stumped and lets the Right Brain See and Draw. Try it! Feel the zone when it happens. We ALL have it because we can instantly ID a face we haven't seen in 10 years. Right Brain switching methods pop up in sports too. Many are trained to mutter something (keeping the Left Brain busy) while the Right Brain Throws the ball.