User Tag List

View Poll Results: Hmm.. Decisions decisions...

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Straight psychology

2 15.38%
  • Psychology and philosophy

6 46.15%
  • Psychology and sociology

3 23.08%
  • Educational studies

1 7.69%
  • *Head desk*

4 30.77%
Multiple Choice Poll.
12 Last

Default What do I choose at university?

Questions that are running through my head while posting this...

What exactly is sociology?
    How different is it compared to social psychology?
    What's philosophy actually like as a degree?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    What exactly is sociology?
    Sociology is basically the systematic study of society and social relationships - how they're organized, how they function, etc. Sociologists look for patterns in attitudes and behaviors and try to explains how groups influence these attitudes and behaviors. It covers pretty much any branch of social life you can think of from personal relationships to large scale organizations.

How different is it compared to social psychology?
    There are two kinds of social psychology. From the sociological perspective, social psychology focuses much more on the group, specifically how large group variables like social class or nationality contribute to the identities of individuals. From the psychological perspective, social psychology focuses more on the individual and how attitudes and personality affects one's interactions in the social world. A psychological social psychologist is more likely to say that your individual personality is influenced by your social environment to create your personal identity, while a sociological social psychologist is more likely to say that your unique experience with different social groups creates your personal identity. The main difference between psychology and sociology is the focus on the individual vs the group.

BTW, I'm a psychology major considering a double major in sociology, mainly because a lot of the coursework overlaps and there are a lot of interesting sociology courses.

What is your aim with each? What do you want to accomplish/do at the end of the whole trials & tribulations? Beyond, seek knowledge....

MBTI
    INTJ

there's nothing you can learn in a philosophy course that you couldn't learn quicker with a book and someone to talk to.

unless you just want moderately interesting classes or to be a prof then skip it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by murkrow View Post
    there's nothing you can learn in a philosophy course that you couldn't learn quicker with a book and someone to talk to.

unless you just want moderately interesting classes or to be a prof then skip it.
    That is simply not true. A philosophy degree will prepare for graduate work in a number of fields, as well as law school and other professional schools. Even if you don't go on, academically, there are jobs available for philosophy grads. You will not be able to do any more with an undergrad degree in psychology than you will with one in philosophy.

"Working Your Degree:" Philosophy - Oct. 13, 2000

MBTI
    ENXP
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ENTp

pardon for being blunt, but i don't think psychology would befit you. if anything, go for educational studies or some sort of management.
    i hunt INXPs for bounty
    FUNCTION ORDER FOR THOSE THAT CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHAT ENXP MEANS: Ne > Ni > Fi=Ti > *

...people tell me i have wildfires in my eyes

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    What is your aim with each? What do you want to accomplish/do at the end of the whole trials & tribulations? Beyond, seek knowledge....
    Psychology - Natural interest in the theories, not so much the biology. Potentially aiming for educational psychologist.

Philosophy - Secondary interest. More so in ethics, epistemology and metaphysics, there isn't much to do with it apart from gain more knowledge and understanding. Would doing a degree in this subject just be about remembering past theories though?

Sociology - I was just curious about what this involves since I might apply to this as a joint degree. (It lowers entry offers/shoddy reason I know) At the moment I haven't looked much into the theories but I'm uneasy that there's going to be a large element of politics and crime rates. I suppose I'd be more interested in social/cutural sociology/anthropology.

Quote Originally Posted by katerp View Post
    BTW, I'm a psychology major considering a double major in sociology, mainly because a lot of the coursework overlaps and there are a lot of interesting sociology courses.
    Once again thank you for your response. The societal thing sounds interesting, but not so much the government/politics. What sort of questions do you work with in sociology? [I need to get a book, but am short on time...]

Quote Originally Posted by Sentura View Post
    pardon for being blunt, but i don't think psychology would befit you. if anything, go for educational studies or some sort of management.
    Not at all. But I'd want reasoning that backs up this statement. Why wouldn't psychology suit me?

MBTI
    ENXP
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ENTp

Not at all. But I'd want reasoning that backs up this statement. Why wouldn't psychology suit me?
    this is something best discussed over PMs.
    i hunt INXPs for bounty
    FUNCTION ORDER FOR THOSE THAT CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHAT ENXP MEANS: Ne > Ni > Fi=Ti > *

...people tell me i have wildfires in my eyes

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by juggernaut View Post
    That is simply not true. A philosophy degree will prepare for graduate work in a number of fields, as well as law school and other professional schools. Even if you don't go on, academically, there are jobs available for philosophy grads. You will not be able to do any more with an undergrad degree in psychology than you will with one in philosophy.

"Working Your Degree:" Philosophy - Oct. 13, 2000
    That's really comforting.

Thanks .

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Psychology and philosophy are somewhat inter-related, but I would concentrate on psychology if I were deciding for myself.

I knew a philosophy major who said that the getting that degree was a path to unhappiness!