User Tag List

View Poll Results: Hmm.. Decisions decisions...

13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Straight psychology

2 15.38%
  • Psychology and philosophy

6 46.15%
  • Psychology and sociology

3 23.08%
  • Educational studies

1 7.69%
  • *Head desk*

4 30.77%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do I choose at university?

Banned Array

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    Psychology and philosophy are somewhat inter-related, but I would concentrate on psychology if I were deciding for myself.

I knew a philosophy major who said that the getting that degree was a path to unhappiness!
    I know one who believes it was the best thing she ever did.

ish red no longer *sad* Array nightning's Avatar

It depends on what you're interested in... different people get different sort of experiences so it's hard to judge based on their accounts. But I think it's fair to say you're not likely to find a job that is directly related to what you study in psych, sociology or philosophy unless you go into academia.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here:

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Sociology - I was just curious about what this involves since I might apply to this as a joint degree. (It lowers entry offers/shoddy reason I know) At the moment I haven't looked much into the theories but I'm uneasy that there's going to be a large element of politics and crime rates. I suppose I'd be more interested in social/cutural sociology/anthropology.

Once again thank you for your response. The societal thing sounds interesting, but not so much the government/politics. What sort of questions do you work with in sociology? [I need to get a book, but am short on time...]
    Sociology really covers all aspects of society and social life, not just society as organized by governments. If you're not interested in government/politics, then there are still plenty of other topics you can study within sociology - though it depends on what courses your university offers. Just using my university as an example there are sociology courses focusing on gender, ethnicity, intimate realtionships, family, aging, the media, the arts, religion, the military, education, personality/identity, and many other topics in addition to politics. Sociology is such a broad field that you should definitely be able to find some topics of interest. Or if you think you might be more interested in studying how cultures vary across societies, then cultural anthropology might be a good choice for you.