• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

journalism as a career

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
I couldn't post in the NF forum because it was the "private" forum, and I'm an isfp so I don't have access.
To all of the people who say that journalism is "unethical" and "risky":
um, well, that's not really true for the most part. I am a journalist and I have never done anything unethical or risky. Most journalists work for hometown newspapers and we write about town board meetings, events at libraries, school anniversaries, and stuff like that. Only a few people get to be foreign correspondents and do all of the fun stuff. As for the unethical part, that is pretty rare but you'll find unethical people in all careers.
I wouldn't recommend journalism as a career, though, because there aren't very many jobs out there. Even for people with years of experience, it is hard to find a job that pays a living wage.
Newspapers are closing all over the United States. So it is not a good time for journalism or journalists.
I would recommend getting into a career field in which there are jobs. Health care is an excellent career, and there are plenty of job openings in that. Some health care practitioners also write columns in local publications so, if you like to write, you can still do that.

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I would never want to be around what I think of as the stereotypical journalist, but the field screams INFP to me.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
Journalism is not a natural fit for my personality type. I didn't want to be trapped in an office all day so I just picked journalism, sort of at random. A career change is in order now because I am tired of working and not getting paid (at all, not just underpaid)...

Nijntje

Warflower
MBTI Type
CRZY
Enneagram
4w5
I would never want to be around what I think of as the stereotypical journalist, but the field screams INFP to me.

HAHAHA! I've gone back to university as i finally worked out what i want to do when i grow up and i'm in a journalism major, i'd hate to think of what a "Stereotypical Journalist" is like, but i chose the field because i love writing but don't necessarily love writing fiction... :D

What's wrong with wanting to be able to inform and educate the otherwise happily ignorant masses of what is actually happening around them? :huh:

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
What's wrong with wanting to be able to inform and educate the otherwise happily ignorant masses of what is actually happening around them? :huh:

Spin. I'd like all news (except opinion pieces of course) to be like lists of facts and leave the thinking and analyzing to the reader. I don't like using a middleman to get the info I want/need.

jazzyidahovandal

MBTI Type
ISTJ
When I was younger, I wanted to be a sports journalist. When I got to college and started to get involved in journalism, I thought hell no. I do like writing and designing, so I decided to do PR/marketing instead. Weird field for an ISTJ like myself...hah