12311 Last

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Default The SJ Dominance of Education

So over in the NT'S Opinion on school thread, it seemed almost unanimous that school is more geared towards SJs.

Do you agree with this?

Now it's obvious that SJs are drawn to these kinds of societal institutions, school seems to be made by and for SJs. Why do we allow this dominance?

Do you feel that the other temperaments could be better served by education? Focusing on their strengths? Is the potential of the other temperaments being fulfilled or is the time spent at these kinds of school being wasted and actually holding them back?

How could school have better suited your learning style? Did school prepare you for later life as well as you would have liked?

How do you think it could be improved to make the most of each type's potential?
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

your resident asshole

I don't particularly enjoy school at all. =/

MBTI
    ISFP

I like attending classes for the first time but in the long run, it gets pretty demanding and I feel pressured to do my best. I would have liked a school that emphasizes an individual-paced learning style, if there's such a thing as that.
    I'm a Phlegmatic-Melancholy.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Lower levels of education, up to and including high school, definitely have a focus on learning material as opposed to concepts. I feel like, for any temperament, this is an important skill to have - you need to be able to get the material in your head in order for you to apply it, that's a given.

The problem is, that aspect - learning problem solving skills - is sorely lacking in today's schools. We learn a lot of material, yeah, but there is little focus on actually applying that knowledge to learn more than just the material. I think that's what drew me to the English and Psychology majors in college - both of them are really all about taking a given set of material or data and abstracting meaning from both. I feel like, especially in the core areas of learning, more attention needs to be given to this aspect of learning, but BOTH are required, for sure. You can't always be presented with learning techniques that cater to your strengths, or you'll never learn (or do) anything remotely challenging to you - you'll always stick to your comfort zone.
    "Can you set me free from this dark inner world? Save me now, last beats in the soul.."

Fonewearl and proud of it!

I (85%) - N (80%) - F (35%) - P (90%)
    O: 94% C: 18% E: 21% A: 94% N: 38%
    9w1 (SP, SX, SO)
    (9, 5, 4)
    RCUAI (Primary Calm)

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Yes, I agree.

heart on fire

I daydreamed through much of school until my senior year. I would do the bare minimum in school and go home at night and read and read and read things that I really wanted to read like History, Estoeric subjects and gothic literature. When I was sick, I would watch the junior college telecourses on daytime PBS on History and literature and wish our classes were that interesting. I am grateful I learned how to read and write of course, but I hated school.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    LSI

I'm homeschooled. I always knew I was better.
    Though, some homeschoolers...
    - Caleb

"I am what I need to be..."

"Nemo me impune lacessit - No one provokes me with impunity."

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    So over in the NT'S Opinion on school thread, it seemed almost unanimous that school is more geared towards SJs.

Do you agree with this?
    NT think the entire world is geared for SJs. School and the like is geared for TJs. Ns do suffer a bit more because they are more likely to be bored, but I'd much rather be a NTJ in school than a STP in school.

What can you do to fix it? Same things that should be done to fix education in general. Bill Gates says it better than I can. The Gates foundation has a wealth of evidence-based suggestions... chances are, very few will ever come to pass.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

My experience with higher education was much more NF or NT than SJ. Half of my professors had long hair.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    My experience with higher education was much more NF or NT than SJ. Half of my professors had long hair.
    I thought this thread was about public school not college? There was a world of difference between the two.