• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The SJ Dominance of Education

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
So over in the NT'S Opinion on school thread, it seemed almost unanimous that school is more geared towards SJs.

Do you agree with this?

Now it's obvious that SJs are drawn to these kinds of societal institutions, school seems to be made by and for SJs. Why do we allow this dominance?

Do you feel that the other temperaments could be better served by education? Focusing on their strengths? Is the potential of the other temperaments being fulfilled or is the time spent at these kinds of school being wasted and actually holding them back?

How could school have better suited your learning style? Did school prepare you for later life as well as you would have liked?

How do you think it could be improved to make the most of each type's potential?

riel

MBTI Type
ISFP
I like attending classes for the first time but in the long run, it gets pretty demanding and I feel pressured to do my best. I would have liked a school that emphasizes an individual-paced learning style, if there's such a thing as that. :)

Jeremy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Lower levels of education, up to and including high school, definitely have a focus on learning material as opposed to concepts. I feel like, for any temperament, this is an important skill to have - you need to be able to get the material in your head in order for you to apply it, that's a given.

The problem is, that aspect - learning problem solving skills - is sorely lacking in today's schools. We learn a lot of material, yeah, but there is little focus on actually applying that knowledge to learn more than just the material. I think that's what drew me to the English and Psychology majors in college - both of them are really all about taking a given set of material or data and abstracting meaning from both. I feel like, especially in the core areas of learning, more attention needs to be given to this aspect of learning, but BOTH are required, for sure. You can't always be presented with learning techniques that cater to your strengths, or you'll never learn (or do) anything remotely challenging to you - you'll always stick to your comfort zone.

heart

heart on fire
I daydreamed through much of school until my senior year. I would do the bare minimum in school and go home at night and read and read and read things that I really wanted to read like History, Estoeric subjects and gothic literature. When I was sick, I would watch the junior college telecourses on daytime PBS on History and literature and wish our classes were that interesting. I am grateful I learned how to read and write of course, but I hated school.

Eagle

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm homeschooled. I always knew I was better. :)
Though, some homeschoolers...

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
So over in the NT'S Opinion on school thread, it seemed almost unanimous that school is more geared towards SJs.

Do you agree with this?

NT think the entire world is geared for SJs. School and the like is geared for TJs. Ns do suffer a bit more because they are more likely to be bored, but I'd much rather be a NTJ in school than a STP in school.

What can you do to fix it? Same things that should be done to fix education in general. Bill Gates says it better than I can. The Gates foundation has a wealth of evidence-based suggestions... chances are, very few will ever come to pass.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
My experience with higher education was much more NF or NT than SJ. Half of my professors had long hair.:jew:

heart

heart on fire
My experience with higher education was much more NF or NT than SJ. Half of my professors had long hair.:jew:

I thought this thread was about public school not college? :huh: There was a world of difference between the two.

S

Sniffles

I absolutely hated school. I'd always lament over all the things I could've been learning if I wasn't in that accursed prison!

Like heart, I kept my sanity by spending much of my free time in private study on various topics - especially history and later philosophy.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I thought this thread was about public school not college? :huh: There was a world of difference between the two.

No this can include 'college' as well, if there is a difference, why does it exist and which temperaments is higher education geared to?

I hated a lot of highschool but I relished the freedom and independence of learning at university, interestingly the teachers college here is much more like highschool, very structured, very detailed, very restrictive. So the dominance is a perpetuating system where we are feeding SJs back into schools as teachers.

riel

MBTI Type
ISFP
I think it's about education in general and the SJ's dominance in the field of education, because it offers structure.

heart

heart on fire
No this can include 'college' as well, if there is a difference, why does it exist and which temperaments is higher education geared to?

College was easier because I could pick what I wanted to take and when, I could major in an area of interest to me, I knew when the work was due and I could work on it when I wanted to, no one forced me to do needless busy work.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I dunno. Perhaps because I'm a TJ type, but I didn't think school was so horrible except for required classes -- by the time I got to high school, I took almost exclusively accelerated courses and ended up with some teachers who actually knew something about the subject and weren't afraid to let it show.

Then again, I'm pretty sure that one of the biggest problems in public schools is throwing all the kids together for required classes. Different kids need different things and I've never met a teacher who can manage all level and needs of students in a state-required class at once.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I hated school, too. Too regimented, teachers too ignorant, students disinterested. I talked the whole time, and did my learning on my own.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Now it's obvious that SJs are drawn to these kinds of societal institutions, school seems to be made by and for SJs. Why do we allow this dominance?

Because they're the majority of the population, and the majority of non-SJs can manage in that structure. I just used my J, buckled down, and followed all the rules mindlessly, always trying to answer what the teacher wanted rather than the correct answer. Teachers liked me, said they wished there were more like me. Disengaged my critical thinking until I got home.

Once you learn to blank your mind and zone out except for focusing on the few details you need to notice, it's fairly easy to endure. If you don't want anything extra like friends, challenging classes, or extracurricular activities, that is. The way things are set up is quite dulling, though.

It's not fair to Ps, but they've got no real incentive to change it if it works for most of the people going though it. :(

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
It's not fair, but they've got no real incentive to change it if it works for most of the people going though it. :(

I suppose that depends on how you define "works" are we fulfilling potential or just churning out obedient workers?

Anyone know what the combined temperament population stats are?

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
College was totally different. I mean, once I got to high school and all the math and sciences it was different, I still hated the stupid homework.

Mechanical engineering was filled with NT profs. Yummeh.