User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

MBTI
    YaYa

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    She says the state pays her to give fifty-five minutes of quaility education to the students and she won't have them cheating themselves out of the benefit of her teaching. (I felt like I was suddenly talking to an alien!)
    Does she not realize that someone about to piss/shit their pants probably isn't absorbing any material or learning.

Mother-fuck public schooling.

heart on fire

^ She took the position that she didn't believe anyone could have an emergency to go during a 55 min class period and that the students just ask to go to the restroom to goof off.

I suggested well why not just trust them and then punish the ones who take advantage but don't judge them guilty before the fact. This didn't go over well. I was dismissed.

MBTI
    ESFJ

^ She took the position that she didn't believe anyone could have an emergency to go during a 55 min class period and that the students just ask to go to the restroom to goof off.

I suggested well why not just trust them and then punish the ones who take advantage but don't judge them guilty before the fact. This didn't go over well. I was dismissed.
    In my high school, there was no allotted time between classes to use the restroom or go to one's locker. It kinda sucked having to carry basically all of my books at all times, but they were very lax about letting use the bathroom. I did quite a bit of homework in there.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

I actually enjoyed school for the most part, but I did have a bit of trouble with some of what seemed (to me, anyway) senseless bureaucracy.

For example, a few years ago, I wanted to take a programming course at a local community college. The prerequisite was Algebra I with a C or better. I took Algebra I in the eighth grade. Since then, I took math through calculus in high school and two semesters of calculus in college, with straight A's.

I stupidly assumed I had the required prerequisite for the course. I submitted both my high school and college transcripts.

My registration was dropped without warning. Why? Because I had failed to submit proof that I had taken Algebra I with a C or better. I *tried* to reason with the registrar's office. Doesn't an A in Algebra II count? How about an A in trigonometry? In calculus? Nope. Unfortunately for me, my junior high school does not issue transcripts, so I could not be enrolled. End of story.

In the end, I had to make an appointment with the professor who was required to submit a written waiver of the Algebra I requirement. I suspect the professor (an INTP or INTJ I'm guessing) was not amused with the registrar either.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

-Sure, education is dominated by SJs. Most things are dominated by SJs because the world is dominated by SJs. They are all over the place.

-I think that, as someone might've said before, that this student/teacher conflict thingy has more to do with gifted/non-gifted than about NT/SJ, so as not to discriminate against the non-gifted NTs, I shall give my side of the story...

There is one part of me that says that school is the best place in the whole world, and one that says it is the worst. These sides are pretty even. School may have been a totalitarian torture chamber where nobody makes any sense, we are forced to relieve ourselves in the classroom when the sudden urge strikes, the action of speaking is a supsendable offense, and even breathing the wrong way will get you screamed at (well, lets just summarize the rest with "totalitarian"), but I still very much appreciate the wonderful things I have got from there among the evil.

First of all, school gave me a very important opportunity to get away from my house. I cannot stand being in a building for an extended amount of time, and since it is mandatory to send children to school, I could escape to there no matter how much trouble I was in. Being trapped in a classroom might not be much better, but there was always lunchtime, and the freedom to see the sun and not have my every action scrutinized for 30 minutes. Second, as much as I was hopeless at learning stuff at school, I was much worse at it away from school. Without school, there would have been millions of different bits of information that I would have missed out on. I doubt that I'd even be able to do long division by now. School has given me the opportunity, however imperfect, to know all the stuff I do today, and the ability to accumulate much more in the future.

These things alone might've been worth the submission of my human rights for 13 years, but I'm not sure. I definitely love school in principle though: a place dedicated to helping me learn lots and lots of stuff for several hours per day, and a place to where I am allowed to get away.

What does "gifted" even mean if not IQ number and IQ number doesn't really relate to type does it? Type is more how you use what you got, not what you got?
    By most definitions (including the school one), it is usually about IQ. Get an outstanding score on the little puzzle things that some kids get in the early elementary years, and you're in. Also, certain types do have higher IQs on average than other ones, but generalizations don't mean that much. I'm sure there are ESFPs with 170 IQs and INTJs with IQs in the 50s.

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I absolutely hated school. I'd always lament over all the things I could've been learning if I wasn't in that accursed prison!

Like heart, I kept my sanity by spending much of my free time in private study on various topics - especially history and later philosophy.
    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    No, I know, but I meant that specific example of finishing before everyone else, hating the regimentation, etc. In grade school, I wasn't just more intelligent than my teachers; I often knew more about the SUBJECT they taught us than they did. I wasn't very bashful about letting them know it, either.
    The things that are being done to students such in the above examples are terrible, however it should be known that such extremely gifted students are less than 1% of the population.

Okay, I've gone sufficiently off topic... I'll respond to the real topic-at-hand later.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity;675606,
    The things that are being done to students such in the above examples are terrible, however it should be known that such extremely gifted students are less than 1% of the population...
    I'm still not sold that it takes being *gifted* to find traditional education a poor fit or to become bored or to give up or to question teachers/the system.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

^ Anyone can find education to be a poor fit, but it takes someone at the very edge of the bell curve to be able to study history and philosophy unassisted at that age, or to be able to know more than your teachers. Kids like that should just be automatically given a diploma, but for the rest of us, we need assistance to be figure out long division before we're 30.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity View Post
    ^ Anyone can find education to be a poor fit, but it takes someone at the very edge of the bell curve to be able to study history and philosophy unassisted at that age...
    Does it? Or does it just take interest in the subject and to find pleasure in studying it?

I read history for pleasure from a very young age. I don't see myself as particularly gifted, I just was more interested in it than anything else. Geekism.

or to be able to know more than your teachers.
    Someone who likes to read and likes to read about a particular topic can quickly amass a body of knowledge that surpasses others. Likewise if you read a lot, you'll pick up more and more from what you read because you're just better at reading and your vocabulary gets better.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

^ It is possible with extreme interest and extreme dedication alone, but it is still not common at all, and even someone with incredible abilities will need a lot of interest and dedication for such feats. You do not see yourself as gifted, but your abstact reasoning test results say otherwise. I'm not saying that extreme interest and dedication cannot bring such results alone, but with an average person trying to reach these goals probably won't achieve spectacular results until age 16 or later. It takes lots of practice.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Take Five View Post
    What do you do now? I mean what are you?
    Well at the moment, I'm a scientist in the field of medical science....Although it seems it won't be for much longer as I can't find a job after this contract ends (and the funding to keep me on has run out), so I will be an unemployed wastrel. I may return to Uni to study something else in that case....or become a homeless bum. Or I might see if I can temp in the U.K. if they still have work in thier path labs....Sorry, complicated answer. I might have to sell a kidney....Ask me again in six months.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]