User Tag List

First 678910 Last

MBTI
    YaYa

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Probably Russian, or Eastern Slavic in general. Failing that, Indian(Ghandi).
    Native American. Hopi to be exact. It is an honorary title given to brave who has aquired many squirrel pelts.

Sniffles

Ahh no wonder I had no idea what it was.

videodrones; questions Verfremdungseffekt's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Take Five View Post
    There are lots of people with whom education has succeeded.
    Take a look at American educational rankings, and tell me that again.

The system isn't set up to teach anyone. It's not set up to help anyone understand life and go on to be a better person. It's set up to provide those with the initiative that you describe a tool to make a bunch of money.

Which is fucked up.

Sniffles

It's best not confuse education with mere schooling. We have a bad habit of doing that these days.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Aderack View Post
    Take a look at American educational rankings, and tell me that again.
    Doesn't the us have a lot less emphasis and hours of schooling (esp. including after-hours study) than the other places on the rankings? Asia, in particular. If anything, that tells me that schools aren't "SJ" (or whatever) enough.

Of course, Canada is ranked notably higher than the US in most categories too... so maybe the factors are a bit more complicated.

videodrones; questions Verfremdungseffekt's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Eh?

It's best not confuse education with mere schooling. We have a bad habit of doing that these days.
    Perhaps. Still, it's a tool that is set up to help people who need help.

Those who don't have problems -- say, the self-directed people described above who already know what to do with themselves from a young age -- they're not the priority. They can handle themselves. The system is inherently useless to them, except as a qualification.

Which means that as set up now, where -- especially in the US -- that's the only function it does serve, the system is basically useless to anyone, except in that capacity. Again, it doesn't take more than a glance at where the US stands worldwide in this regard to notice there's a problem.

heart on fire

I think public school was originally intended to just be a place to teach people how to hold their pee until break, work at some mindless task for a block of hours. Just teaching a person how to handle shift work. If you were *meant* for anything better, Mama and Papa sent you to prep school. There's a spine of that which remains.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I think public school was originally intended to just be a place to teach people how to hold their pee until break, work at some mindless task for a block of hours. Just teaching a person how to handle shift work. If you were *meant* for anything better, Mama and Papa sent you to prep school. There's a spine of that which remains.
    Uh... I actually learned how to hold it for the whole school day because I felt too self-conscious to ask, and was afraid of running out of time between classes. It helped that I avoided drinking anything during the day, and ate dry foods until I got home, when I'd gulp down lots of liquid. I guess it worked really, really well for me then.

I remember asking one of the other kids why they kept on acting out and doing stuff that didn't benefit them in that environment, and they said, "Because we don't want to turn into you, Machine (which was my nickname). You're what their rules are trying to turn us into."

heart on fire

My friend from junior high now teaches high school and her biggest concern is a chart she made about restroom breaks and who has used up their allotment this month and who hasn't. You get to go to the restroom only once during a semester, no matter you got your monthly or food posioning or whatever.

She says the state pays her to give fifty-five minutes of quaility education to the students and she won't have them cheating themselves out of the benefit of her teaching. (I felt like I was suddenly talking to an alien!)

Then she got a student with Crohn's disease who had a excuse to go whenever they needed to and she decided to make her line in the sand over the issue and last I heard she was being called before the school board to justify herself. She didn't appreciate me siding with the child and she quit talking to me. *sigh*

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    She says the state pays her to give fifty-five minutes of quaility education to the students and she won't have them cheating themselves out of the benefit of her teaching. (I felt like I was suddenly talking to an alien!)
    Woah, talk about inflated self-importance!
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations