User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Hehe. Certainly reminds me of one of my ISTJ Chemistry teachers and some physics teacher.

"Right. What you learnt the last few years is completely wrong. It's just an extremely simplified version of things. Here's the new wrong theory!"

I don't think it's reasonable to blame SJs for the whole structureness and lesson plan issue. It's the education system itself that is extremely geared towards J structure and unneccessary paperwork blah blah blah. When teachers have to meet targets constantly, it's no wonder most end up becoming cynical, hoping to just push students through the system when their original thought was to teach. Think about it...

Teachers don't go into the career thinking: I'm going to be a drill sargent. Almost all want to be inspiring to children but it's difficult to do so when there's a whole load of stuff going on. It changes at college because there's more freedom to do what you want but still there's a large amount of structure involved behind the assessments and all that. Course this is just talking from a non-teaching perspective. It'd be more useful to get information from someone actually in the education system and what they think of it. Recoleta for example.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    I dunno. Perhaps because I'm a TJ type, but I didn't think school was so horrible except for required classes -- by the time I got to high school, I took almost exclusively accelerated courses and ended up with some teachers who actually knew something about the subject and weren't afraid to let it show.

Then again, I'm pretty sure that one of the biggest problems in public schools is throwing all the kids together for required classes. Different kids need different things and I've never met a teacher who can manage all level and needs of students in a state-required class at once.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. Though I went to a private school, so it was a bit better.

Sometimes I really liked school, like my language classes were awesome!!! Other times I could barf whenever I had to take math - it was torture.

If you don't feel challenged, you just have to do extra stuff on your own. On the other hand, busy work keeps you from doing what you love, which sucks.

It also really depends on the teacher. For example, my language and history teachers were freaking awesome - entertaining but stuck to the topic, friendly but strict, understanding but demanding.

At my school, people were more willing to bend the rules. So I had honors classes for subjects I was good in and level 1 or 2 for math (because I suck at math).

In addition, if you wanted to take honors when it wasn't offered, they let you do independent study (YAY!!!!!!) to get honors credit and do what you want (as long as it was quality work). I did this for my Latin class, which is typically only a level 1 class, by doing an independent study project on the development of the English language from its Germanic origins to today. An interdisciplinary project involving history, literature, linguistics, etc., it really fascinated me and allowed me to get honors credit and do what I love.

When they offered French IV and Spanish IV at the same time on the same day, they offered me the chance to alternate between classes (basically I was in each class only 50% of the time) and do independent study for the things I missed so that I did not have to choose between the two. The only caveat was that I was not permitted to miss any assignments or tests.

Many teachers also gave you the opportunity to choose your own topics for papers or assignments. Although this option was not available for tests, it allowed you greater freedom.

This freedom within a structured environment gave me enough structure to not be a haphazard dumb ass (which I need due to Ne gone wild) but enough freedom to do what I love.

Dealing with fellow pupils, on the other hand, was a royal pain in the ass. All the drama was distracting from my work and intent. As a long-term thinker, I was always sure that I wanted to go to university, study abroad or do an internship or something in Germany, etc. So you had to separate yourself from the drama, which turned out to be a lonely time, especially for an extravert like me. It was rather depressing.

Not being able to take classes specifically designed for my future pissed me off, too. I wanted to study German and political science (that was only available senior year) or business and this was not possible at school. But then again, ambitious people can always do this in their spare time, so that's what I did.

Is education only for SJs? Or SJ dominant? I think it depends on your school. But I can't say that I was unhappy or restricted to an unfair degree.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

I don't think the SJs are out to get you. Most probably don't even know what SJ is. You get out of education what you put into it.
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    All gifted students do that, though. There's no type causation there.
    yes there is. All gifted students are NTs!
    "I'd never die for my beliefs, I might be wrong"

"Is it not enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe there are fairys at the bottom of it too"

"Intelligence is being able to hold too opposing views in the mind at the one time without going crazy" - Now all I need to figure out is if I'm intelligent or crazy!

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    It does not matter what you have.
    It matters what you are.

I was empathizing with someone else here. Come on.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by CJ99 View Post
    yes there is. All weirdo gifted students who don't know how to speak to another human being are NTs!
    There you go. I fixed it for you!
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Yes. The NTJs do fare better at school than the STPs.
    On the average only.
    Neither group fits in.

Intuition is not N.
    N is intuition.
    Only the STPs have an intuition about how a theory works.
    They are not locked in the theory.
    The NTJs don't fit. The STPs don't fit.

No one fits.

It's highschool.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by Take Five View Post
    You get out of education what you put into it.
    Well an SJ would say that wouldn't they?
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

In your dreams!
    All gifted students are SPs!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CJ99 View Post
    yes there is. All gifted students are NTs!
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

heart on fire

What does "gifted" even mean if not IQ number and IQ number doesn't really relate to type does it? Type is more how you use what you got, not what you got?