User Tag List

First 2345614 Last

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Guys, the issue isn't that "SJs are supposed to like school more", the issue is that schoolteachers and schoolmasters/principles are predominantly SJ and thus SJs will have communication advantages, especially over SPs and NTPs. I really wish i would have had at least ONE fucking ENTP teacher in elementary school. SJ assbag after SJ assbag year after year really stifled the fuck out of my imagination, and I need my imagination to be illicited to see something (I dont hate SJs btw, i just presume the really smart/good SJs got better paying jobs)

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    Guys, the issue isn't that "SJs are supposed to like school more", the issue is that schoolteachers and schoolmasters/principles are predominantly SJ and thus SJs will have communication advantages, especially over SPs and NTPs. I really wish i would have had at least ONE fucking ENTP teacher in elementary school. SJ assbag after SJ assbag year after year really stifled the fuck out of my imagination, and I need my imagination to be illicited to see something (I dont hate SJs btw, i just presume the really smart/good SJs got better paying jobs)
    I have a B.A. and I am totally unemployed and broke right now.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I'd just raise my hand and say, "You're pointing at East Africa, but you're talking about West Africa," or "The Great Wall of China is NOT one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World."
    Ah, there was one teacher (a psychology teacher), who specifically asked me to do that, and I did it in their class, because they wanted the situation to be more open, involve more participation.

With most of the teachers, though, I'd be afraid to embarrass them in front of their students. It might lead to a minor breakdown in respect and order.

So I guess mine would be more like:

*waits for everyone to leave*

*goes over to the teacher, says very quietly or at a whisper*

"Umm... ma'am, you know how you said <X> was this way? Well, I heard somewhere else that it was this other way [shows evidence if available], and I'm just wondering which one is right."

"Oh, yeah, I think I got that wrong. You're right, actually. It is that way. Thanks for not making me look bad. It's hard enough to keep them in line when they respect us."

"Yeah. Well, see you tomorrow."

So, I wonder what it is that makes some people more bold, and some more accommodating? Is it an I/E thing?

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Ah, there was one teacher (a psychology teacher), who specifically asked me to do that, and I did it in their class, because they wanted the situation to be more open, involve more participation.

With most of the teachers, though, I'd be afraid to embarrass them in front of their students. It might lead to a minor breakdown in respect and order.

So I guess mine would be more like:

*waits for everyone to leave*

*goes over to the teacher, says very quietly or at a whisper*

"Umm... ma'am, you know how you said <X> was this way? Well, I heard somewhere else that it was this other way [shows evidence if available], and I'm just wondering which one is right."

"Oh, yeah, I think I got that wrong. You're right, actually. It is that way. Thanks for not making me look bad. It's hard enough to keep them in line when they respect us."

"Yeah. Well, see you tomorrow."

So, I wonder what it is that makes some people more bold, and some more accommodating? Is it an I/E thing?

Perhaps. My S vs. N and F vs. T are pretty close, but my E is off the charts, and my J is quite high, too. If I'm right and I know that I'm right, I wouldn't want to be someone contradicting me, especially not an authority figure.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENFJ

Huh. I was never good at correcting teachers about factual information. I was more of a pointing-out-flaws-in-policy kind of kid. I could get quite nasty when a way of doing something didn't make any sense...
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Huh. I was never good at correcting teachers about factual information. I was more of a pointing-out-flaws-in-policy kind of kid. I could get quite nasty when a way of doing something didn't make any sense...
    Same.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    So over in the NT'S Opinion on school thread, it seemed almost unanimous that school is more geared towards SJs.

Do you agree with this?

Now it's obvious that SJs are drawn to these kinds of societal institutions, school seems to be made by and for SJs. Why do we allow this dominance?

Do you feel that the other temperaments could be better served by education? Focusing on their strengths? Is the potential of the other temperaments being fulfilled or is the time spent at these kinds of school being wasted and actually holding them back?

How could school have better suited your learning style? Did school prepare you for later life as well as you would have liked?

How do you think it could be improved to make the most of each type's potential?
    I read some places ENFJs have the least trouble in school. I don't think this is a blanket case, but it is of note.

I'd make a case that there are more ENFJs in education though. It seems highly the case.
    "In the end it is not a matter of reason; it is a matter of love." - St. Thomas More

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    NT think the entire world is geared for SJs. School and the like is geared for TJs. Ns do suffer a bit more because they are more likely to be bored, but I'd much rather be a NTJ in school than a STP in school.

What can you do to fix it? Same things that should be done to fix education in general. Bill Gates says it better than I can. The Gates foundation has a wealth of evidence-based suggestions... chances are, very few will ever come to pass.
    Yes. The NTJs do fare better at school than the STPs.
    On the average only.
    Neither group fits in.

Intuition is not N.
    N is intuition.
    Only the STPs have an intuition about how a theory works.
    They are not locked in the theory.

MBTI
    INTP

I have a B.A. and I am totally unemployed and broke right now.
    It does not matter what you have.
    It matters what you are.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    512 sp/so

I'd just raise my hand and say, "You're pointing at East Africa, but you're talking about West Africa," or "The Great Wall of China is NOT one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World."
    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    I did neither.

If a teacher was wrong, I'd keep quiet about it, verify privately that he/she was wrong, lose respect entirely and use this as an excuse to do other stuff in class.

If a teacher told me to do something that didn't make sense/was unreasonable, I'd do it, but privately despise him/her.

What I did speak up about was scientific stuff, e.g. general rules in chemistry etc. I'd ask when something didn't seem to conform to the rules, and generally the teacher would say something like "that's an exception, you'll learn more about it in higher level chem". It turns out that there are LOTS of exceptions to "rules"! (I now have a chem degree.)

School was exceptionally SJ because I went to a Chinese all-girls' school. I abhorred it, and am glad to be out.