User Tag List

First 123412 Last

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I thought this thread was about public school not college? There was a world of difference between the two.
    Oops!

In that case...carry on.

Sniffles

I absolutely hated school. I'd always lament over all the things I could've been learning if I wasn't in that accursed prison!

Like heart, I kept my sanity by spending much of my free time in private study on various topics - especially history and later philosophy.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I thought this thread was about public school not college? There was a world of difference between the two.
    No this can include 'college' as well, if there is a difference, why does it exist and which temperaments is higher education geared to?

I hated a lot of highschool but I relished the freedom and independence of learning at university, interestingly the teachers college here is much more like highschool, very structured, very detailed, very restrictive. So the dominance is a perpetuating system where we are feeding SJs back into schools as teachers.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    ISFP

I think it's about education in general and the SJ's dominance in the field of education, because it offers structure.
    I'm a Phlegmatic-Melancholy.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    No this can include 'college' as well, if there is a difference, why does it exist and which temperaments is higher education geared to?
    College was easier because I could pick what I wanted to take and when, I could major in an area of interest to me, I knew when the work was due and I could work on it when I wanted to, no one forced me to do needless busy work.

MBTI
    ENFJ

I dunno. Perhaps because I'm a TJ type, but I didn't think school was so horrible except for required classes -- by the time I got to high school, I took almost exclusively accelerated courses and ended up with some teachers who actually knew something about the subject and weren't afraid to let it show.

Then again, I'm pretty sure that one of the biggest problems in public schools is throwing all the kids together for required classes. Different kids need different things and I've never met a teacher who can manage all level and needs of students in a state-required class at once.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ESFJ

I hated school, too. Too regimented, teachers too ignorant, students disinterested. I talked the whole time, and did my learning on my own.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    Now it's obvious that SJs are drawn to these kinds of societal institutions, school seems to be made by and for SJs. Why do we allow this dominance?
    Because they're the majority of the population, and the majority of non-SJs can manage in that structure. I just used my J, buckled down, and followed all the rules mindlessly, always trying to answer what the teacher wanted rather than the correct answer. Teachers liked me, said they wished there were more like me. Disengaged my critical thinking until I got home.

Once you learn to blank your mind and zone out except for focusing on the few details you need to notice, it's fairly easy to endure. If you don't want anything extra like friends, challenging classes, or extracurricular activities, that is. The way things are set up is quite dulling, though.

It's not fair to Ps, but they've got no real incentive to change it if it works for most of the people going though it.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    It's not fair, but they've got no real incentive to change it if it works for most of the people going though it.
    I suppose that depends on how you define "works" are we fulfilling potential or just churning out obedient workers?

Anyone know what the combined temperament population stats are?
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

College was totally different. I mean, once I got to high school and all the math and sciences it was different, I still hated the stupid homework.

Mechanical engineering was filled with NT profs. Yummeh.