User Tag List

First 21011121314 Last

MBTI
    DEAD
    Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Ok, I appear to be a gifted adult. This pretty much describes me and I was in accelerated and honors classes all through school, even when I started slacking in high school, I still made a perfect score on the AP lit exam.

I would love to be a teacher. I would love to be the kind of teacher that I wish I had. I did have some good teachers, and a couple of great teachers. The problem isn't really the teachers it's THE SYSTEM.

The System isn't getting better, either, it's getting worse. It's as though they're trying to make things even more regimented and structured than it was before. "No Child Left Behind" is a crock of steaming shit that is pushing what creativity was left in the classroom right out of the window. Everything is centered around standardized testing now.

There are some improvements being made in learning, though. Many of you probably don't even know how many flaming hoops of fire a person has to go through to even become a teacher these days. About 800 clock hours of in-school observation spread out over semesters, not just one semester of student teaching as in the olden days. There are also vast improvements being made in the way that concepts are taught by interdisciplinary thematic units and utilizing reader-response theory in the classroom instead of forcing old-fashioned efferent learning down kids' throats.

I would love to be a teacher. I would love to bring creativity into the classroom. I'm terrified to teach middle or high school because although that was my original goal, I have since learned that elementary school seems to be the last bastion of the tiniest squeak of creativity in the public school system. I very well could become a teacher - I have the grades and the interest. What I don't have patience for is the regimented bullshit that keeps some very good teachers from being the teachers that they actually want to be.

I think that's why there's a teacher shortage: most people don't want to do it, and even the intelligent people who passionately do want to do it are getting scared away by the present state of The System.
    I agree wholeheartedly it THE SYSTEM I have so many fun ideas, even the high school kids enjoyed them. But I was told just to stick to grammar and writing. No comprehension, poetry, presentations.. etc. As the only English teacher for 10th grade students. I started out with some activities just to break up the monotony, but alas, the school owner wanted only the two above subjects.

I loved conducting experiments on them. Muahahaha Example: once I divided them up into 3 groups and gave them noun suffixes to memorize.

Group A was to study them individually, repeat the suffixes to themselves and try to memorize.

Group B was to try to find words to attach it to, which might help memory recall.

Group C was put into another room and told to drill each other on the noun suffixes, not to write, not to associate, but to just drill each other.

Note: I divided up my top achievers into group A and B and had only one top achiever in group C.

Test time, they were given strips of paper, to write what they remember. Asked to write only their name and group, some started to write. I crumbled those papers up and repeated name and group only. That took a few minutes for everyone to fall in line.

Group C had double of what group A had and B was slightly more than A.

Some students were angry that they weren'tn put in Group C. I told them this is not a grading test, this is an example of how to practice information recall and how to study for a test. Grab your study buddies.

Activites like these were always fun. Sadly they were never encouraged, so I had to break the rules once in awhile.
    Johari / Nohari

Enneagram 1w2/Lifepath 1/first zodiac sign Aries/first Chinese zodiac sign RAT/first born in my siblings of 3. Did I forget to mention first?

Independent Director

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    So over in the NT'S Opinion on school thread, it seemed almost unanimous that school is more geared towards SJs.

Do you agree with this?

Now it's obvious that SJs are drawn to these kinds of societal institutions, school seems to be made by and for SJs. Why do we allow this dominance?

Do you feel that the other temperaments could be better served by education? Focusing on their strengths? Is the potential of the other temperaments being fulfilled or is the time spent at these kinds of school being wasted and actually holding them back?

How could school have better suited your learning style? Did school prepare you for later life as well as you would have liked?

How do you think it could be improved to make the most of each type's potential?
    It cannot be improved.

It is not about who is in the right.
    It is about the public.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

It would funny to make education NF/NT based and watch everyone squirm.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Didn't I post in this thread? Hmm.

Anyhow, the highschool I was on was very NTJ/NFJ focused. It was the highest segment of high school in the netherlands and very independance based. I loved it as a P too since I never felt like I had to do any shit. But being the minimalist I was at the time, just high enough was good enough for me. I'd have to say it's pretty J based.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    fool

I was pretty much hard work in primary school to (supposedly) xSTJ teachers. To my experience there were more SJ teachers and mentality in prim school and lower sec. Didn't really enjoy school back then. I pretty much had no respect for authority for the sake of authority (their persona and flexibility, understanding, willingness to at least try to understand where I was coming from), and not just because "It Was So" or some ridiculous rule book called "Because I said so". I wanted freedom to do things my way and of expression, whereas they wanted me to do something specificly some way.

I always felt like they had this idea in their heads that we weren't suppose to question them nor their methods. Well it made me rebellious and probably contributed my overall lack of motivation.

I've only started enjoying education in upper sec. For me the most important thing is flexibility. Give choices and opportunities to pupils - some may enjoy independent work, given the goals and others audio-visual presentations and group discussion, others may be more comfortable being vocal on group discussion in the course's web discussion page, or asking directions from the tutor etc. Choices, flexibility and willingness to try to understand differences and even compromise. Don't get so insecure when someone comes along with new ideas or approach to do things, at least, hear them out without rebuffing them first-hand.

I'd like to get out from the whole activity in class showing your interest and abilities, unfortunately some still seem to think that way and grade / favour students only according to that. Obivously personality wise not favouring any should be a given. And obviously it's not that simple.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    I wasn't really part of any clique - not the jocks, not the cheerleaders, not the student gov folks, not the intelligent folks, not the punkers or rockers, not the dumbasses who slept all day, not the slackers, the sports fanatics, or the QUESTION AUTHORITY anarchists, not the wackos or the mentally ill, not the loners, not the geeks or freaks, NO ONE.

LOL What does that make me???
    A loner.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    It cannot be improved.

It is not about who is in the right.
    It is about the public.
    It's about having a system that has to cater to the masses. MILLIONS of people. The system has to be uniform and control large numbers of children. It isn't surprising that a sort of SJ dominant, regimented control has been viewed as the most practical solution - because, quite frankly, in terms of numbers it is practical. Unfortunately the REALITY is human beings, not numbers.

I would honestly like to teach at a Montessori school or some other institution that had been set up for more right-brained learners.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Thanks for creating/continuing with this thread. Although I can't really comment on it (being an SJ myself, and one who never really had trouble with learning), I can say that it reveals a huge problem that others may not have noticed before.
    Excellent work.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Thanks for creating/continuing with this thread. Although I can't really comment on it (being an SJ myself, and one who never really had trouble with learning), I can say that it reveals a huge problem that others may not have noticed before.
    Excellent work.
    A measure does not matter.
    Learning abilities is a skill. A skill does not measure.
    Skill properties matter in survival.
    Intelligence is not a measure.
    Understanding is independent of a measure.

The schools (and the IQ tests) are based on the applicability (usefulness) of intelligence in our culture.

Only if you are not behind, or ahead of our culture, you are accepted.
    Conformity is adaptability. A fit in.

This has nothing to do with the MBTI, or a type.
    Type prejudice does not differ from any other measure.

MBTI
    YaYa

SJ make the best factory workers.

Modern school system was designed for to provide industry raw labor.

No brainer.