User Tag List

First 1234 Last

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    No shit. Other than being a source of extra stress; I saw no real benefit to homework. I mean com'on, you already imprison the kids for 6-7 hours a day, just let them have some time off to relax and enjoy life.
    Or at least the part of their life before they're Big Businesses Bitch.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    INTP

[sarcasm]wow, this article is right!!! homework is NO FUN... why are we making our kids *work* and *learn* when they could be running around jumping through hoops or throwing balls around.[/sarcasm]

what a load of hippy bullshit.

should we then come to the conclusion that since more time spent learning doesn't help we need to reduce time spent learning? no, of course not.

quality of education being the most important factor does not mean that homework is unimportant. it simply means that if you start with poor educators then extending that to the home won't help much. however, if you start with *good* educators then extending that into the home will help.

i'm not saying that school should monopolize a kids time, but the way the article tries to spin homework as evil is just stupid.
    I'm feeling rough, I'm feeling raw, I'm in the prime of my life.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I never made homework at home unless I had to use a computer for it. And even then, I made sure I did everything I could first in class before it got to that. Always made my homework during classes.

One can only wonder which is more effective. Self-studying by making homework assignments or paying attention to teachers in classes.

I chose homework over paying attention, because there were rules that if you don't make homework you're expelled from the class and such and get detention. That would cut in my spare time to much, so the choice was easy. o/
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Homewhat?

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

I refused to do homework as much I could and refused to do it at home. Almost all of it was done at school, during breaks, classes, on the train there etc. I *hate* homework. What's the point of going hours to school and then coming home to do the same stuff again. Somebody plz tell those teachers to stuff it.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

That's because the homework they assign in elementary school is USELESS SHIT - teach those little motherfuckers some algebra or some Latin, those scores will go up i assure you

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    One can only wonder which is more effective. Self-studying by making homework assignments or paying attention to teachers in classes.
    I really think that paying attention in class is more useful. If you have a decent teacher, then they will explain things for you and you will understand it. Homework is just pointless and it just shows how well you understood what the teacher was saying (or how well you can Google the answers ). Homework in itself teaches you nothing, therefore making it pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    I refused to do homework as much I could and refused to do it at home. Almost all of it was done at school, during breaks, classes, on the train there etc. I *hate* homework. What's the point of going hours to school and then coming home to do the same stuff again. Somebody plz tell those teachers to stuff it.
    Haha I do the exact same thing!

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by miked277 View Post
    [sarcasm]wow, this article is right!!! homework is NO FUN... why are we making our kids *work* and *learn* when they could be running around jumping through hoops or throwing balls around.[/sarcasm]

what a load of hippy bullshit.

should we then come to the conclusion that since more time spent learning doesn't help we need to reduce time spent learning? no, of course not.

quality of education being the most important factor does not mean that homework is unimportant. it simply means that if you start with poor educators then extending that to the home won't help much. however, if you start with *good* educators then extending that into the home will help.

i'm not saying that school should monopolize a kids time, but the way the article tries to spin homework as evil is just stupid.
    That's why Finland and Japan got things right

In the end, it's really the quality of teachers and how they handle the curriculum that really decides how well a student is -willing- to learn. The students that are willing to learn WILL learn. Some students are naturally willing while some aren't. The engaging teachers can pull some of the unwilling ones to the willing side and thus improving the average grade overall.

An INFJ teacher of mine had a great math strategy: Pass two tests in a row at 80% or higher and you automatically get full score on homework whether you did it or not. This encourages the student to focus on knowing the subject to make the class less stressful. I think that was the only math class I got a particularly good grade in.

Both of my social studies teachers are lazy and teach through movies and discussion. Easy to pass, and I think they're on to something when I see some of the 'unwilling learners' add to the discussion. I still think they're kind of lazy
    'Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.' - Marilyn Monroe

This is who I am, escapist, paradise-seeker.
    -Nightwish

Anthropology Major out of Hamline University. St. Paul, Minnesota.

MBTI
    ENFP

Homework may or may not help. Listening to professors probably helps you earn a high grade in a class. Please never forget though, that these are both mere smokescreens, and you create your education yourself, on a day to day basis, in whatever subjects you choose, on your own terms.
    An inscription above the gate to Hell:
    "Eternal Love also created me"

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Try not doing homework (aka practicing) in math and see if it gets you anywhere.

Homework is a crutch teachers use to get us to absorb newly taught material. You don't need it to learn, but it helps get the "unmotivated" to start studying.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca