• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Steps to Finding a Career

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I was driving home today and had some important insights that I thought I would share. Instead of making a selfish post all about me, I thought it'd be cool to have everyone contribute. Your job: list, sequentially, what practical steps one could take to find a suitable career. Also, extra points if you give it a cool title.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Correct Motivation

The problem with the way most people try and find a suitable career is that they use the wrong motivation. They focus too much on what will make them happy. Consequently, they choose careers based on their personal preferences and personal enjoyment. Their personal enjoyment, however, is bound to change because of their own personal development (e.g., suddenly money is less important, or you realize you're really interested in math) or because they realize that they've encountered something they don't like in their job that they underestimated or overlooked. Since the only thing that ties them to the career is their OWN enjoyment, when the enjoyment fades, the commitment to that career changes, and they're back at step one. The effects of that pattern can be pretty devastating in the long run because (1) you may suffer financially (2) you run risk of feeling interminably lost (3) your chances of building expertise diminish (4) you don't build a strong connection to your job (5) you may end up feeling like you have wasted time (6) it's harder to make your career serve as a source of fulfillment. Obviously this is not the case for everyone, as some people may find enjoyment is job-skipping, but I think most people, myself included, would agree with this premise.

The answer, I think, is to stop thinking about yourself and your preferences and start thinking about it from a different perspective: what is my duty? what is my responsibility to this world? Your duty is something you can think of as handed to you (by your genetics and upbringing or by a deity if you prefer), rather than something that you choose. I don't mean to say that it's handed to you like an envelope that has a specific thing written on it -- no. Rather, you have certain gifts and talents that can be used to better the world. Your task then, is to contemplate (a) what your gifts are and (b) where they can be utilized to produce maximal benefit to mankind. While typology is a good starting point, there is lots more to your personality and abilities that the practice of typology will miss. By discovering your duty to this world, you have a better chance of weathering through job-disappointments, creating a connection with your job, resisting fleeting urges to find something a bit more stimulating (that may disappoint you too), building expertise, and feeling fulfilled.

Practical Steps to Finding Your Life's Purpose and Duty
1. STFU. Your mind is both a friend and foe, but in order to get in touch with your real qualities, you need to shut your mind up. One way to do this is through arousing compassion (reading certain stories, nostalgia) or arousing some sadness (listening to emo music). If you meditate, now's a good time. If you think some is beautiful, be around it, even through the internet. You can also go to the gym and do some intense exercise. Any one of these will work. (1.5 hours)
2. Ask yourself what your best qualities are. What do you do very well? Exceptionally well? What talents do you have? What was your best grade in school? Favorite subject? What have people complimented you for? What was your favorite job thus far? (20 minutes)
3. What types of areas are your skills needed? Where are you, personally, needed? If you had a duty in life, what might it be? What type of career would give you quiet pride? (2 days)

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What if you happen to enjoy that which you do well, because you've consequently spent a lot time doing it?

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
What if you happen to enjoy that which you do well, because you've consequently spent a lot time doing it?

What would the problem with that be? Are you pointing out an error in my guide? (No hostile tone here, I just want to make sure I understand you correctly.)

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Need to mix passion with talent, anything else will result in dissatisfaction over time.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
2. Ask yourself what your best qualities are. What do you do very well? Exceptionally well? What talents do you have? What was your best grade in school? Favorite subject? What have people complimented you for? What was your favorite job thus far? (20 minutes)

What if there's more than one!

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I think it's very important to utilize your strengths but to feel passionate towards that which you do. How are you really going to be beneficial without the mixture? If you happen to hit a focus shift and you just can't stand your occupation anymore, cross that bridge when you get to it. You can only do so much to plan for the future, because obviously the future is non-linear and unforeseen.

Not that Edahn's advice is bad or wrong, but I really can't relate to the mindset of ignoring self and latching to your strengths even if that compromises your interests. To be truly effective, you have to be passionate about what you do.

1. Look for something within an avenue that caters to your interests.
2. Research.
3. Take proper steps in receiving the experience and training that would make you optimal for that career; whether that be internship, mentorship program, schooling, a part-time job that's similar in nature etc. etc.
4. Start applying.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The problem with the way most people try and find a suitable career is that they use the wrong motivation. They focus too much on what will make them happy. Consequently, they choose careers based on their personal preferences and personal enjoyment. Their personal enjoyment, however, is bound to change because of their own personal development (e.g., suddenly money is less important, or you realize you're really interested in math) or because they realize that they've encountered something they don't like in their job that they underestimated or overlooked. Since the only thing that ties them to the career is their OWN enjoyment, when the enjoyment fades, the commitment to that career changes, and they're back at step one. The effects of that pattern can be pretty devastating in the long run because (1) you may suffer financially (2) you run risk of feeling interminably lost (3) your chances of building expertise diminish (4) you don't build a strong connection to your job (5) you may end up feeling like you have wasted time (6) it's harder to make your career serve as a source of fulfillment. Obviously this is not the case for everyone, as some people may find enjoyment is job-skipping, but I think most people, myself included, would agree with this premise.

The answer, I think, is to stop thinking about yourself and your preferences and start thinking about it from a different perspective: what is my duty? what is my responsibility to this world? Your duty is something you can think of as handed to you (by your genetics and upbringing or by a deity if you prefer), rather than something that you choose. I don't mean to say that it's handed to you like an envelope that has a specific thing written on it -- no. Rather, you have certain gifts and talents that can be used to better the world. Your task then, is to contemplate (a) what your gifts are and (b) where they can be utilized to produce maximal benefit to mankind. While typology is a good starting point, there is lots more to your personality and abilities that the practice of typology will miss. By discovering your duty to this world, you have a better chance of weathering through job-disappointments, creating a connection with your job, resisting fleeting urges to find something a bit more stimulating (that may disappoint you too), building expertise, and feeling fulfilled.

Practical Steps to Finding Your Life's Purpose and Duty
1. STFU. Your mind is both a friend and foe, but in order to get in touch with your real qualities, you need to shut your mind up. One way to do this is through arousing compassion (reading certain stories, nostalgia) or arousing some sadness (listening to emo music). If you meditate, now's a good time. If you think some is beautiful, be around it, even through the internet. You can also go to the gym and do some intense exercise. Any one of these will work. (1.5 hours)
3. What types of areas are your skills needed? Where are you, personally, needed? If you had a duty in life, what might it be? What type of career would give you quiet pride? (2 days)

This is all interesting. In a sense I agree with what you're saying in the first paragraph, as a more superficial enjoyment can fade with time and there will always be factors in whatever job you have that are unpleasant or overlooked initially. I would say this is actually a reason I've never been able to pinpoint a career -- because I know over time my interests will change, so I fear committing myself to one, and only one, career, only to eventually dislike it over time.

As for the 'duty to the world' concept....it's an interesting take. I think it's a good way to compartmentalize the job thing, and make it in your mind so that it's more of a reality (which it is) and an obligatory thing, but I don't think it's a concept I can easily integrate into my brain. :)

I do take your point on assessing gifts and figuring out the type of job/career they'd best be utilized in. Bullet points 1, 2, and 3...I've done similar things before. Basically given that list I should be in an analytical/strategy/planning job. Problem is that I hate working in a corporate environment at this point, and also need to actually care about the project that I'm on and the subject matter at hand - and most corporate stuff is stupid in the big picture. :)

I think I already know the sector I need to target - environmental or government.

I also agree with Trinity and Beat that passion (on some level) IS a necessary element - otherwise there will dissatisfaction.

The only 'problem' with going the route of pure skills/talents is that you can easily be GOOD at something that you don't like doing or that isn't a great fit for your personality or ideals. Example - I was really good at math and science. Those were my favorite subjects in school. But I hated engineering classes and the types of people I'd end up having to work with - so I left it.

Snow Turtle

Personal preference for a specific type of career:
For example - I want to become a teacher. It's very well possible that my interest will change.

However there are fundamental reasons behind my enjoyment for teaching, ones that have existed long before I knew anything about teaching. I think choosing a subject based on those fundamental interests is the best idea as they aren't as changing.

I reacted very negatively towards the duty comment. Because that's exactly what I had been brought up to do and consequently I'm suffering for the decision. I had a mathematical background, my interest is more in humanity. Technically I could have concluded that my duty was to work in the environmental agency or hazard risk management except I hated the work. I don't think that's a good direction to go down.

Step 1
Discover core values.

That's it really.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
I exhausted my creative energies yesterday. Sowwy.

I was driving home today and had some important insights that I thought I would share. Instead of making a selfish post all about me, I thought it'd be cool to have everyone contribute. Your job: list, sequentially, what practical steps one could take to find a suitable career. Also, extra points if you give it a cool title.

I'm going to answer this but firstly I find being practically helpful such a wonderful thing. Like literally plotting out steps to do something that attains some sort of purpose. My fuzzies are back!

I found that when I went to career counselors in college there was lots of good advice but no practical way to enact what they said. They said, get your resume out there, network, see what you like but I had no clue how to make that reality. Since I've been working I've found some practical ways to do all those things.

Even at the job (not career) you're at try to attend professional meetings to literally see what other options there are in the job you're at. You may not like the work you're doing at your job but you may not have to completely change fields to find satisfaction. I've attended more than a handful of professionally related annual meetings and conferences and I actually like the field I'm in, just not my particular job. Practically, this is what I've started doing:
  • visiting professional websites associated with a possible career field, learning who the major players and trying to begin correspondence with them.
  • look at program books from the conferences if I can't afford or have time to attend, just to get ideas and a better concept of what is out there. I'mn looking for specific sessions, what they're about, and who's presenting. My problem is there is so much to choose from, so much to do that narrowing my field of interest is almost overwhelming. Everything sounds interesting.
  • if you're at a conference and there are exhibitors, get a list of the exhibitors, check out their websites and look for possible job openings; also see if you can pass out your resume but do this on the low low if you're at a conference for your job.
  • find backdoors in...a friend of mine got laid off and started volunteering at an organization. Even though they're not hiring money suddenly appeared in their budget to hire him. It's crappy pay, but it's better than being jobless and he actually like what he was volunteering to do so it's mostly a positive gain.
  • Another one is we're getting a new content management system at work and I've volunteered to be the departmental liaison. I've talked to the trainer who's showed us how to use the system and gotten his contact information. He's got a master's in Industrial Education/Information Technology and has learned the computer stuff on the job. I was thinking that I had to know all these computer languages and stuff to even get in the field. While that is majorly helpful it's not absolutely necessary.
  • Volunteer, volunteer, volunteer!!!

The major thing I've had a problem with is how do I know what I like to do? I didn't know I liked the field I'm in, never even heard of it until I got my job. Don't like the job though. How do I know what's out there? I'm currently toying with the idea of doing cold networking. Since I'm in an area that hosts lots of conferences I've been going to local convention center websites and large hotels (i.e. Marriotts and Hiltons) seeing what conferences are happening and maybe just showing up and talking to people. My first opportunity comes at the end of this month and I'm going to see how I do.

The difference between a career and a job seems to be how much you enjoy what you're doing. I've recently thought what if I gave five percent of what I do, 90 percent of my ability towards that thing? What kind of changes or differences would I see in that little slice of my life that's getting more of best efforts and concentration? You feel confident in the things you're good at and the things you're good at get the best of you. Maybe if I can expand that effort to a few more areas I'd hit on something that could lead to more satisfaction.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
the problem is the word "career" to begin with..... people have such strange notions of Professions these days. I don't think there's but, maybe, 4 people on this forum that know what is refered to by "career". Silly post modernists ;)

Cenomite

Systematic chaos
MBTI Type
ENTP
I never thought about my career, I just always knew since I was seven that I wanted to go into some sort of computer related profession.

I asked my Mom around high school what major would match that, and she said Computer Science. Thus I'm now in CS.

While at college, I realized that I really want to be a professor, since I'm really pissed off with how the current system works. I also think that a lot of professors are simply lecturers and not teachers, and many could care less about their students. Thus my goal is now a PhD and a professor job in CS or a related field.