User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Good argument?

MBTI
    yupp

Default Good argument?

So I'm on academic probation, and I need all A's to stay but that's not going to happen, I'm going to get A's and B's and I told my advisor about my room mate trying to kill herself, and she told me I could petition, I begged and pleaded. And I finally said If I get all A's and B's will you reconsider, so once my grades are in, I have to make an appointment, I'm going to argue part time until I get my grades up. It be pointless for me to go another school for two semesters since I'm done with any course requirements that would transfer back over. keep in mind I was lazy first few semesters, and hated my old major so I didn't try nor went to classes ever. Then when i was getting my grades up my room mate tried to kill herself, unfortunatley this was after the withdrawl date. So I lost all motivations and failed all classes except one, which I managed to get a -B minus in.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

I'm unclear about what you are asking...

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Can you petition in addition to begging and pleading with the counselor? Or does the process of petition ruin your chances of your counselor helping you?

Also, see if your counselor is amendable to a plan where you meet with her every month or so and update her with your grades, etc. It'll be a pain, but if you show you are willing to work with them they are more likely willing to work with you. It'll be more effective than begging and pleading alone.

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

i'd research the history of that school involving situations like yours to see if they're being consistent with their judgment on your case compared to simular cases they've judged on.
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I don't really get how your roommate trying to kill herself has anything to do with your academic performance, unless she tried to kill you too.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I don't really get how your roommate trying to kill herself has anything to do with your academic performance, unless she tried to kill you too.
    Depending on how attached she was to this roommate, or how much angst she shared, it could be alot. INFPs wither in environments like that.

MBTI
    yupp

we were friends before that happened. and yes as an INFP I get very effective by the emotional atmosphere I've my enviroment, not that I enjoy it.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    +1, but I accept UDog's explanation, whether I can understand it or not.

Ok, I think I understand what you are asking now.
    Who would you have to petition? Is there a board of people or a department head?

Before formal petitioning, I would bypass the advisor altogether. He's already shown that he's of no use to you and will not get you the results that you want. When you bring problems to the higher ups, they tend to placate you faster because they don't want to be annoyed with things like this. Be persistent. Low level management are always the hardest people to break because they are sticklers for the "rules", and don't want to even ask their bosses, for fear of looking incapable. I've done this many times in my academic career and have gotten what I wanted out of the situation. I rarely feel that any rules apply to me, especially stupid ones. But that's just me...

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Jen, you make a good point. It might be worth waiting to see what the counselor says after the meeting, but I'm not sure if it will be too late by then or not. Some counselors can hold considerable sway and be surprisingly lenient to students that put forth an effort.

However, I do think that a meeting with the Dean of the college (not the entire college, but like Dean of Arts and Sciences or whatever) could be fruitful if she makes a good case for herself.

prpl: Your thoughts on the advice received so far?

As your thread title asks, you gotta set up a good argument for why you need a pardon.

(1) Roommate's attempted suicide
    (2) Stress induced by being stuck in a major you did not like (have you changed major already? In the process? Going to?)
    - if you can show correlation of grades where the courses for major you DO want is better than for the grades in the major you were stuck with...that will help your case.
    (3) Whether you need it or not, it's a sly trick, but go talk to the school mental health councellor...get a few meetings in there if possible (this will help them realize your case is 'serious')
    (4) Outline an air-tight plan of action. E.g., if your plan is part-time (i.e., what courses you will take, do the research to see when they're offered, work out a timetable, do this for what it would take until you're ready to go full time, etc, etc). Shows you have a clear vision (GOAL) for how you're actively putting thought into how you're gonna correct your mistakes.
    (5) Academic help centers, go see them, bring old assignments, etc, get the help

And, when you go to talk to the advisor, you have evidence, 1-5, so he/she 'buys' your case.

End point: do not go there looking like a heap of potatoes being dropped on them, as if saying, well, what do *you* suggest I do with me? Proactive. Orchestra the movement yourself, so whatever their response, it's reactionary. If it's them having to put forth possibilities on how to deal with you, you will be playing with luck (whim of the advisor) and more likely to be cornered.