• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do too many people accept jobs that don't satisfy them?

Snow Turtle

First and foremost:
This post is based on limited experience of a student that has not technically entered the 'real world', one that is still starry-eyed about the idea of shaping my own future doing something that is a happy compromise. Moving back the topic.

Something I've noticed is that I'm still alot more idealistic than my peers when it comes to wanting to find a decent career, despite all the current recession business. For example while speaking to my cousin about transferring courses.

"To be honest I don’t want to do a 9-5 job but I have to. People have to.. you have to take sacrifices in life… You don’t want to be a bum your whole life??.. work is no fun.. we all know that! But what job doesn’t last 9-5?"

Now she could be correct but it's just rather depressing thinking that many people are willing to submit themselves to something that doesn't satisfy them, replacing their drive and idealism with apathy and acceptance under the guise of realism (I'm going to get so much slack for this. Bring it on!! :cheese:) but it'd be even more depressing if they are actually being realistic about society and this is the actual truth.

What say more experienced people here?

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes. But the good thing is, many people also get satisfaction from stuff other than their jobs, so it's not as important. My job is certainly not what I would pick if I could just choose from a list, but I find ways to make the best of it, and I enjoy being able to do stuff when I'm not at work that my paycheck provides the money for. :)

Jeremy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
To be honest, before the ideals of "fulfillment" even become a factor, you have to have security and the ability to eat, clothe, and shelter themselves. Here's a picture of Maslow's hierarchy of needs to help illustrate what I mean...

maslows_hierarchy2.jpg

So the fact is that a lot of people *won't* find the job that makes them happy. We have to have people who are willing to work the worst jobs. Those people are more concerned with the bottom half of the pyramid, so they take whatever they can get in order to feed and provide for their family. Coming straight out of college, I have a feeling that my first career probably won't be the "fulfilling" experience I want it to be, but I do hope that I can reach that point some day, whether through my career or through my family / friends (or hopefully both! :D). I know plenty of people who make it through their whole lives working hard at a job many would say is demeaning, and yet, they're some of the happiest people I know.

O

Oberon

As an ENTP, I can't imagine that someone would actually pay me to do what I would find most fulfilling. And I don't even know what that is, either, except it would probably involve some combination of beer, computers, and scantily-clad women.

Jeremy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
As an ENTP, I can't imagine that someone would actually pay me to do what I would find most fulfilling. And I don't even know what that is, either, except it would probably involve some combination of beer, computers, and scantily-clad women.

Sounds more ESTP to me, except maybe the computer. Have you been to your Intuitive Refueling Station lately? You're running out of N.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Well, I think many people don't find working to be that fulfilling anyway. So there is not much point in spending time and energy trying to find something optimal, when the gain in utility is small.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sounds more ESTP to me, except maybe the computer. Have you been to your Intuitive Refueling Station lately? You're running out of N.

That's a good thing! Get rid of that "N" Oberon! It will only pull you down in life! ;)

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I refuse to fall into a career (not to include part time jobs along the way) that I don't find notable enjoyment and satisfaction in. Call me the obvious, an SJ, but I like to work. I just have to find enjoyment in my work.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
The one thing I wish someone had made clearer to me early on would have been that you can't fake passion, getting into even run of the mill "steady" 9-5 type jobs can be hard when you're up against people that naturally have more passion for that line of work.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The kind of job I want is to throw out ideas and thoughts without any pressure and for good pay.

Ofcourse I won't find it. :p

G

garbage

I personally think so. I'd rather have my career set before tackling other life challenges.

It's a source of income and a huge devotion of one's time. Unhappiness at the workplace can manifest itself as unhappiness in the home. People often move so that they can have a specific job or attend a specific university, structuring their life around their career as it is. And it can be difficult to "switch gears" and pursue another career entirely if one is unhappy with their current line of work, especially if one's life is also plagued with other issues. It's too easy to become "stuck" in some unsatisfactory job until retirement, through inertia, outside stressors, and other factors.

To me, a career is just too important to be taken so lightly, to satisfice as many do. One's career should serve their life and their interests, not the other way around.

All I can say is that I'm certainly fortunate to have gotten my career squared away and found a line of work that I enjoy; it allows me to enjoy the rest of my life, too.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I bet on a commune you can get away with maybe 1 hour of work per day. If someone doesn't want a 40+ hour work week, doesn't want to be homeless, and can't become self-employed somehow, it could be a good choice.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Put self actualisation inbetween Physiological needs and Safety needs. Cut the top half of the pyramid in two vertically, on one side put social needs and on the other side esteem needs.

That should fix the pyramid for me.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I have seen this chart a few times and I am sure that it is not correct for me.

I am sure that level 3 and 5 should swich their positions in my case.

Jeremy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
I have seen this chart a few times and I am sure that it is not correct for me.

I am sure that level 3 and 5 should swich their positions in my case.

Not to go completely off topic, but in my opinion, those top three kind of go hand in hand. Some people need more of one or another, but everyone needs SOME of each of those three things. I do agree with the assertion that it is impossible to develop the top half without the bottom half in place; if you're hungry, the last thing you're worried about is making friends. It's getting more food.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
But what is the point of protection without self actualisation. those two go hand in hand as well, in my opinion! For me anyways.

1. Sustanance
2. Reason worth of protection
3. Protection
4. Everything else