User Tag List

123 Last

Default Do too many people accept jobs that don't satisfy them?

First and foremost:
    This post is based on limited experience of a student that has not technically entered the 'real world', one that is still starry-eyed about the idea of shaping my own future doing something that is a happy compromise. Moving back the topic.

Something I've noticed is that I'm still alot more idealistic than my peers when it comes to wanting to find a decent career, despite all the current recession business. For example while speaking to my cousin about transferring courses.

"To be honest I donít want to do a 9-5 job but I have to. People have to.. you have to take sacrifices in lifeÖ You donít want to be a bum your whole life??.. work is no fun.. we all know that! But what job doesnít last 9-5?"
    Now she could be correct but it's just rather depressing thinking that many people are willing to submit themselves to something that doesn't satisfy them, replacing their drive and idealism with apathy and acceptance under the guise of realism (I'm going to get so much slack for this. Bring it on!! ) but it'd be even more depressing if they are actually being realistic about society and this is the actual truth.

What say more experienced people here?

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Yes. But the good thing is, many people also get satisfaction from stuff other than their jobs, so it's not as important. My job is certainly not what I would pick if I could just choose from a list, but I find ways to make the best of it, and I enjoy being able to do stuff when I'm not at work that my paycheck provides the money for.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

To be honest, before the ideals of "fulfillment" even become a factor, you have to have security and the ability to eat, clothe, and shelter themselves. Here's a picture of Maslow's hierarchy of needs to help illustrate what I mean...

So the fact is that a lot of people *won't* find the job that makes them happy. We have to have people who are willing to work the worst jobs. Those people are more concerned with the bottom half of the pyramid, so they take whatever they can get in order to feed and provide for their family. Coming straight out of college, I have a feeling that my first career probably won't be the "fulfilling" experience I want it to be, but I do hope that I can reach that point some day, whether through my career or through my family / friends (or hopefully both! ). I know plenty of people who make it through their whole lives working hard at a job many would say is demeaning, and yet, they're some of the happiest people I know.
    "Can you set me free from this dark inner world? Save me now, last beats in the soul.."

Fonewearl and proud of it!

I (85%) - N (80%) - F (35%) - P (90%)
    O: 94% C: 18% E: 21% A: 94% N: 38%
    9w1 (SP, SX, SO)
    (9, 5, 4)
    RCUAI (Primary Calm)

Oberon

As an ENTP, I can't imagine that someone would actually pay me to do what I would find most fulfilling. And I don't even know what that is, either, except it would probably involve some combination of beer, computers, and scantily-clad women.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    As an ENTP, I can't imagine that someone would actually pay me to do what I would find most fulfilling. And I don't even know what that is, either, except it would probably involve some combination of beer, computers, and scantily-clad women.
    Sounds more ESTP to me, except maybe the computer. Have you been to your Intuitive Refueling Station lately? You're running out of N.
    "Can you set me free from this dark inner world? Save me now, last beats in the soul.."

Fonewearl and proud of it!

I (85%) - N (80%) - F (35%) - P (90%)
    O: 94% C: 18% E: 21% A: 94% N: 38%
    9w1 (SP, SX, SO)
    (9, 5, 4)
    RCUAI (Primary Calm)

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Well, I think many people don't find working to be that fulfilling anyway. So there is not much point in spending time and energy trying to find something optimal, when the gain in utility is small.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    Sounds more ESTP to me, except maybe the computer. Have you been to your Intuitive Refueling Station lately? You're running out of N.
    Anymore, I'm closer to the middle on all four indices.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    That's a good thing! Get rid of that "N" Oberon! It will only pull you down in life!

MBTI
    ISTx

I refuse to fall into a career (not to include part time jobs along the way) that I don't find notable enjoyment and satisfaction in. Call me the obvious, an SJ, but I like to work. I just have to find enjoyment in my work.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

The one thing I wish someone had made clearer to me early on would have been that you can't fake passion, getting into even run of the mill "steady" 9-5 type jobs can be hard when you're up against people that naturally have more passion for that line of work.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations