• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do too many people accept jobs that don't satisfy them?

pardo

MBTI Type
istp
many people are willing to submit themselves to something that doesn't satisfy them, replacing their drive and idealism with apathy and acceptance under the guise of realism (I'm going to get so much slack for this. Bring it on!! :cheese:) but it'd be even more depressing if they are actually being realistic about society and this is the actual truth.
The biggest difference between now and the past centuries is that now no one forces people to work all day everyday. Unless you force it on yourself by living above your possibilities (consumerism) or by linking your self esteem to your job (work ethic).
Avoiding workaholism, there's still enough time left to fill the pyramid outside the job.

G

garbage

I have seen this chart a few times and I am sure that it is not correct for me.

I am sure that level 3 and 5 should swich their positions in my case.

It's been said that Maslow's hierarchy applies for NFs more than any other type, especially with their search for identity being their fundamental "goal"; other types have other pursuits.

It might be worth another thread..

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I bet on a commune you can get away with maybe 1 hour of work per day. If someone doesn't want a 40+ hour work week, doesn't want to be homeless, and can't become self-employed somehow, it could be a good choice.
You seem to know a lot about freeloading. Care to expound?

lastrailway

Yep, there's unemployment and there's competition and there's an economical crisis world-widely and people need to work and get money, one way or another.

In my experience, even a job that "satisfies" you on some level, is still a job and has plenty of elements that won't be all that satisfying at all.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
You were talking about working only 1 hour per day in a commune. That's certainly not pulling your weight.

I'd like to see a study on the average hours worked by people on those places. I know it's not a 9-5.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
First and foremost:
Now she could be correct but it's just rather depressing thinking that many people are willing to submit themselves to something that doesn't satisfy them, replacing their drive and idealism with apathy and acceptance under the guise of realism (I'm going to get so much slack for this. Bring it on!! :cheese:) but it'd be even more depressing if they are actually being realistic about society and this is the actual truth.

Man, this is like kicking a puppy...

Unless you are extrordinarily talented and/or lucky (baseball players, rock stars, and unemployed billionares spring to mind) the majority of your adult life (outside of sleep) will be spent in various states of misery and boredom. I reccomend copious amounts of alcohol to compensate for this fact.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I'd like to see a study on the average hours worked by people on those places. I know it's not a 9-5.
Probably not. But that's a pretty big spread, 8 hours vs 1 hour. 8 hours is pretty light compared to what people have been required to work historically, out of necessity.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I always get fired, when I dont like the job. The last job I applied for and got fired later, I was still drunk from the day before, when I applied, so thats prolly why I didnt notice that it sucked :D.

No, I am still very young and I worked as a student now in different jobs to get a glimpse on the possibilities. I worked as a technician in a factory, which grew boring after a while. I worked as an engineer for a consulting company, which was fun, but the job was terminable. Now I work for my hometown for the department that boosts economy in my hometown as a consultant engineer. I get to know a lot of companies there and influencial people + different views on the business world thats a great deal of education. Those consultant jobs really rock, cause you are the only guy that knows the shit and everyone treats you like Jesus himself :D.

I wonder what I will do after university is finished. I am thinking about politics :D (to start off small :D)

ygolo

My termites win
Yes. People do accept jobs they don't enjoy--not always on purpose.

I got into a job I loved, and I ended up hating it after a few years. I don't think I am the type of person who can stay in one profession for my whole life.