• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Math phobia, why?

Wade Wilson

MBTI Type
INTP
i was very good at math as well, they moved me into the next grade level's advanced math class. so, in 5th grade i was in a 6th grade advanced math class. then i realized that those math kids got beat up and ostracized a lot, so i stopped trying and got very bad at math.
now i am terrible at math, really horrific. i guess you can divide numbers by other numbers!? craziness!

My math skills are limited to what I can do on my fingers and a calculator... kinda the same philosophy I have for not driving; "if I can't get there with what I got, I don't need ta go there." :D

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I knew someone who was afraid of decimals. Poor girl.

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
I like to understand stuff, the only time i hate math is when i see something i can't figure out. But as soon as the light bulb turns on, i feel like i won the lottery.

So no i don't hate math, I hate not being able to figure things out by myself. But that applies to everything and math happens to be one subject where i have to put alot of effort to understand.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Math_Kills_Trees_by_Blackhole12.png

I always tried to explain to my teachers, but they never listened. Bet they would think otherwise nowadas, when ressources are gettin lesser and lesser by the minute :D

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Math_Kills_Trees_by_Blackhole12.png

I always tried to explain to my teachers, but they never listened. Bet they would think otherwise nowadas, when ressources are gettin lesser and lesser by the minute :D

HAHAHHAA That's freaking awesome! :)

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
OMG THE NUMBERS THEY WANT TO EAT ME!

turquoisecat

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Math was always my best subject...up until 2nd grade.

After that period, my skills evaporated due to a lack of cultivation on my part as well as my schools'. I was enrolled at a private religious institution that adhered to a horribly inadequate program which confused the heck out of me. On top of that, my "teachers" were morons; whenever I would request help, they couldn't elaborate on a concept...

I never really acquired a good understanding of the basics, so I haven't had much fun with algebra and the like. I have a strong aversion to math now and I doubt it will ever go away.

Go calculators!

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
2=1
I can prove it.

Given x=y
x-y=0
2x-2y=0
2x-2y=0
2(x-y)=(x-y)
÷ (x-y)
2=1

/bow

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
2=1
I can prove it.

Given x=y
x-y=0
2x-2y=0
2x-2y=0
2(x-y)=(x-y)
÷ (x-y)
2=1

/bow

Hehe clever proof :)

"It followes the rules, but conflicts logic", I like that

You must somehow leave room for comments in your jokes tho, otherwise I dont know how to respond :)

--

I as a natural scientist am mostly busy with putting up equations in the first place. And I produced a lot of 2=1 already :D

laughingebony

MBTI Type
INTP
2=1
I can prove it.

Given x=y
x-y=0
2x-2y=0
2x-2y=0
2(x-y)=(x-y)
÷ (x-y)
2=1

/bow

(x-y)/(x-y) isn't 0 or 1. It's not even defined. (You're dividing by zero.)

Many of you are concerned with the practicality of math. Am I the only one who likes doing math for its own sake? The ideas behind it are profound.

ygolo

My termites win
Ooops. Didn't mean to derail my own thread.

Rest assured. There is a perfectly logical explanation for why the above "proof " is wrong.

Need not be afraid of it.

But if you are, please tell us why. :D

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
math will only be fun to those who actually use it to the full extent that they learn it to...colleges teach you way more than you need to know...shoot for the moon, land among the starts theory i guess

ygolo

My termites win
I don't know anyone who is forced to use all the math that they've learned. I certainly am not forced to, and I find math fun.

I think you have it backwards.

Those who find math fun will try to use as much of the math they learned as possible.

Well, that is a major over-generalization too, but I think it is more true than the reverse.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
I liked maths until I learned about linear algebra and I had to do insane amounts of work for every equation I had to solve.

ygolo

My termites win
Because it's boring and a waste of time. For me. :steam:

That makes you afraid of it?

I liked maths until I learned about linear algebra and I had to do insane amounts of work for every equation I had to solve.

Learning Linear Algebra is supposed to have the opposite effect*, that's why we learn it. We need good math teachers.

*ask Luna about a feindish problem that could have been done using linear algebra in a few seconds, but took hours using regular algebra techniques.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Don't know about math phobia. I've never been scared of a problem of any type. The closer to impossible, the more thrill to attack.

I think someone long ago said maths was hard, then someone else said it, then someone else copied, and now people approach it as hard. Also if you teach something with outdated techniques involving drawing lines on paper and carrying numbers rather than give people a fundamental understanding of what they are doing, most people can get a little lost. I'd assume maths is fundamental enough that it makes sense to all types if explained properly.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
That makes you afraid of it?

Learning Linear Algebra is supposed to have the opposite effect*, that's why we learn it. We need good math teachers.

*ask Luna about a feindish problem that could have been done using linear algebra in a few seconds, but took hours using regular algebra techniques.

True, but unless you're already a master at it, it is very difficult and takes a lot of time. I do agree that a good math teacher helps a lot. I've had crappy ones all my life, which is probably a big part of the reason I'm not good in maths (I excel in maths compared to 99.99% of humankind, but I still consider my level to be too low for me).