User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

I hate math because it did not come easily to me.

Because I have a lack of patience, I tend to give up the ghost on things I don't automatically do well and enjoy. Like, it's a waste of effort and energy to invest in things I don't do well - to express this in math, let me say:

If I have a cost of 1 and a benefit of 10, I think this is cool shit. But if I have a cost of 10 and a benefit of 1, that blows. And well, math was always a 10:1 cost:benefit ratio.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    Why?
    Socionics
    SEX

I find it extremely boring!... And the shapes I see get in the way!
    ... They say that knowledge is free, and to truly acquire wisdom always comes with a price... Well then,... That will be $10, please!

MBTI
    ENTP

because 7 8 9
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics

Math has never bothered me.
    ESTP - Definition: "Love" is making a shot to the knees of a target a 120 km away, with an aratech sniper rifle and tri-light scope.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
    True, but unless you're already a master at it, it is very difficult and takes a lot of time.
    I don't think you have to have mastered Linear algebra for it to make things easier, just know some of the techniques. I never mastered it.

What I am alluding to is that the Linear algebra techniques make things easier. If you try to solve a common linear algebra problem without the techniques, it will take an awful lot of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
    I do agree that a good math teacher helps a lot. I've had crappy ones all my life, which is probably a big part of the reason I'm not good in maths (I excel in maths compared to 99.99% of humankind, but I still consider my level to be too low for me).
    Well then, I suppose it is a mater of standards and expectations. If you believe you are 1 in ten thousand in terms of math skill, but still feel not good enough at it, how good would you want to be?

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    I hate math because it did not come easily to me.

Because I have a lack of patience, I tend to give up the ghost on things I don't automatically do well and enjoy. Like, it's a waste of effort and energy to invest in things I don't do well - to express this in math, let me say:

If I have a cost of 1 and a benefit of 10, I think this is cool shit. But if I have a cost of 10 and a benefit of 1, that blows. And well, math was always a 10:1 cost:benefit ratio.
    Nothing has ever come easily to me...math included. I suppose it is a matter of what one naturally enjoys.

As far as benefit, those who do better at math, on average, make more money. I believe, there was also a paper saying that those with mathematical skill have a tendency to make more money in entrepreneurship than when working for someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Prototype View Post
    I find it extremely boring!... And the shapes I see get in the way!
    Shapes? There was a genius who pictured numbers as shapes. There was a documentary on TV about him.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    Why?
    Socionics
    SEX

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Shapes? There was a genius who pictured numbers as shapes. There was a documentary on TV about him.
    ... They say that knowledge is free, and to truly acquire wisdom always comes with a price... Well then,... That will be $10, please!

MBTI
    INTP

I always associated mathematics with the environment in which is was taught--sterile looking cement cell rooms, rows of students wearing the same uniform. Then there is the endless drill and skill without any mention of the wonderful conceptual stuff that comes later. For me it took several years after school before I would even read a book because I associated learning with rote factoid memorization and parroting instead of understanding. I have heard this same scenario from others over and over again.

Am currently in the process of relearning basic math and pre-algebra because it became obvious that the lack of mathematical knowledge was (is) holding me back from understanding a lot of things that I want to learn, not to mention how it can streamline thought process and save time. If you like to think and never had the chance to really learn mathematics you ought to try again on your own, many of these subjects are quite rich and beautiful despite what you may have experienced in school.

Fear of mathematics is very common, here is a wikipedia article about it:

Mathematical anxiety - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I see a few of each type struggle with math, while others find it almost innate. I wonder if math ability it is at all type related. You'd think it should be.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Are you afraid of crunching numbers, or symbols?
    Yes.

Are you intimidated when you see matrices or differential or integrals?
    Yes.

Are you intimidated by any sort of math? If so, why?
    Mostly all of it. High school math gives me headaches. I can't give correct change from the till and I still count on my fingers.

I would just like to know. Why the math phobia?
    Because I fail. I don't understand math.
    Is not to be held accuntable for peeling errors.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Why do people always seem to conflate being afraid of math and not liking math? I don't tremble when I see a number, I just sigh and wish I could be doing something else, though I will admit that I enjoyed trigonometry and algebra somewhat. But if I ever see another geometry problem I am going to choke someone.
    "People from a planet without flowers would think we must be mad with joy to have such things about us at all times."-Iris Murdoch