First 678910 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by laughingebony View Post
    (x-y)/(x-y) isn't 0 or 1. It's not even defined. (You're dividing by zero.)
    Shhhhh.... You're ruining the joke.
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

Quote Originally Posted by Costrin View Post
    Shhhhh.... You're ruining the joke.
    Try this one instead:

sqrt(5)=sqrt(-5*-1)=sqrt(-5)*sqrt(-1)=(i*sqrt(5))*(i)=i*i*sqrt(5)=-1*sqrt(5)=-sqrt(5)

Divide both sides by sqrt(5), 1=-1.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Ooops. Didn't mean to derail my own thread.

Rest assured. There is a perfectly logical explanation for why the above "proof " is wrong.

Need not be afraid of it.

But if you are, please tell us why.

Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    entp

math will only be fun to those who actually use it to the full extent that they learn it to...colleges teach you way more than you need to know...shoot for the moon, land among the starts theory i guess

I don't know anyone who is forced to use all the math that they've learned. I certainly am not forced to, and I find math fun.

I think you have it backwards.

Those who find math fun will try to use as much of the math they learned as possible.

Well, that is a major over-generalization too, but I think it is more true than the reverse.

Robot Fusion

MBTI
    SEXY

I liked maths until I learned about linear algebra and I had to do insane amounts of work for every equation I had to solve.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI

Because it's boring and a waste of time. For me. :steam:
    "So I say, live and let live. That’s my motto. Live and let live.
    Anyone who can’t go along with that, take him outside and shoot the motherfucker."
    - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by rainoneventide View Post
    Because it's boring and a waste of time. For me. :steam:
    That makes you afraid of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
    I liked maths until I learned about linear algebra and I had to do insane amounts of work for every equation I had to solve.
    Learning Linear Algebra is supposed to have the opposite effect*, that's why we learn it. We need good math teachers.

*ask Luna about a feindish problem that could have been done using linear algebra in a few seconds, but took hours using regular algebra techniques.

Robot Fusion

Don't know about math phobia. I've never been scared of a problem of any type. The closer to impossible, the more thrill to attack.

I think someone long ago said maths was hard, then someone else said it, then someone else copied, and now people approach it as hard. Also if you teach something with outdated techniques involving drawing lines on paper and carrying numbers rather than give people a fundamental understanding of what they are doing, most people can get a little lost. I'd assume maths is fundamental enough that it makes sense to all types if explained properly.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

MBTI
    SEXY

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    That makes you afraid of it?

Learning Linear Algebra is supposed to have the opposite effect*, that's why we learn it. We need good math teachers.

*ask Luna about a feindish problem that could have been done using linear algebra in a few seconds, but took hours using regular algebra techniques.
    True, but unless you're already a master at it, it is very difficult and takes a lot of time. I do agree that a good math teacher helps a lot. I've had crappy ones all my life, which is probably a big part of the reason I'm not good in maths (I excel in maths compared to 99.99% of humankind, but I still consider my level to be too low for me).