User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Probably even worse when it has to be done with letters. Many people do not mind numbers too much, but become quite confused by the usage of letters (also because they cannot be easily sinthetyzed, so there is more information to care about)

I know.

This is one simple petrogenetic grid.

The letters in this diagram are shortcuts for complex chemical formulas.
    If I am not mistaken grt stand for R3 R2 [SiO4]3 for example.

Where first R can stand for Mg, Fe, Mn or Ca
    Second R can be Al, Fe, Cr, Ti or Zr
    While Si and O form the basic of mineral structure.

The shortcuts are simbols for chemical elements.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Spoilers: That was actually Columbus' log for tracking the wind currents.

I dislike math past the practical basic-arithmetic, basic-algebraic forms because it is useless to me, a Japanese and Creative Writing major.
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    I know.

This is one simple petrogenetic grid.

The letters in this diagram are shortcuts for complex chemical formulas.
    If I am not mistaken grt stand for R3 R2 [SiO4]3

Where first R can stand for Mg, Fe, Mn or Ca
    Second R can be Al, Fe, Cr, Ti or Zr
    While Si and O form the basic of mineral structure.

The shortcuts are simbols for chemical elements.

That's some horrendous graph.
    Even the most basic tertiary diagrams give me headaches when they start combining things.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

It seems many people have turned away from mathematics due to teaching that didn't help them in the right way, the way that works for them.

Quote Originally Posted by bluebell View Post
    Interesting post, Amargith. I'm actually the reverse of that. Some of the maths courses I did in college didn't make a huge amount of sense when I was doing them, although I got good grades. But it was kinda like my brain kept mulling over the concepts in the background and 6 months to a year later, I had a much deeper intuitive understanding of previous courses.

This was particularly the case for vector calculus. That said, I never got a particularly good intuitive understanding of differential equations, other than being to grok the answers from seeing patterns. I never managed to develop an inner model that directly related differential equations to real life situations (even though that's what you're supposed to use them for).
    This sounds a lot like my experience with mathematics. (I don't have a fear or anxiety for it, but I do find it difficult...that's a different topic.)
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I'm not afraid of math, I'm...just not very trained in it, I guess. I only took what math classes I had to. I never did higher levels because my interests and talents were more in the humanities, so I took those classes instead. It was a time issue, mostly. When I look back on my education, I think it's one of the things I missed out on. I was never bad at math. I had probably an average aptitude for it, but I worked hard enough to get A's.

I have to say though, I love people who love math.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I love practical math, but it ends there.

Ie. science/chemistry mathematics.

But any of the boring 'you'll probably understand this but it's boring and has no practical use whatsoever' math I usually failed at. Because it just never interested me enough to spend time on. :P

I want to be able to visualize the math problem in one way or another. (Like Einstein! )
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

I was good at math until algebra. Either I couldn't learn or had no interest in learning the aspects of it that needed memorization and I got hopelessly lost and behind. I would study though, and even then, when I thought I'd get a B or an A on an upcoming test, I'd end up failing the test. My teacher would be very disappointed in me. I hated math class SO MUCH.

But I'm pretty good at basic math even in my head (multiplying large numbers, etc.)

MBTI
    fool

3rd grade, math exam. I'm faced with a question I don't know how to resolve. I panic. A boy (happened to be the one I had a huge crush on) next to me looked at my paper and said: "You're only in the first page? Man you're slow." I broke in tears, he starts apologizing "Hey, I didn't mean it like that... Tibby, look, I'm sorry... Don't cry" Which only made it WORSE. I finished the exam in the library and when I came back and people were being deceivingly nice to me, it hurt so much I buried the shame somewhere deep

I've always been my own worst enemy.

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by tibby View Post
    3rd grade, math exam. I'm faced with a question I don't know how to resolve. I panic. A boy (happened to be the one I had a huge crush on) next to me looked at my paper and said: "You're only in the first page? Man you're slow." I broke in tears, he starts apologizing "Hey, I didn't mean it like that... Tibby, look, I'm sorry... Don't cry" Which only made it WORSE. I finished the exam in the library and when I came back and people were being deceivingly nice to me, it hurt so much I buried the shame somewhere deep

Wow, is that really what goes on in the NF head?

If someone said that to me, I would have been all 3rd grade arrogant like "Yeah, well your mom's slow!" and maybe would have spit on him. (Hey, anything you do prior to age 10 is fair game...) Then I would have made him eat his words with my big fat A+. Damn, I'm competitive - yikes.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tibby View Post

*Note to self, don't comment on peoples' math difficulties/pace*