User Tag List

First 891011 Last

Results 91 to 100 of 103

  1. #91
    Member songofcalamity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    76

    Default

    When I was younger, I was good in Mathematics and pretty much like it, but when I hit 12, my laziness got the better of me, and well, I literally didn't listen in class and didn't attempted to do any homework. Over the course of few years of complete neglect towards Mathematics, my A* became an F and because of it, I really disliked Mathematics, I couldn't see how it work. The teacher was teaching us more complex stuff, and I didn't understand Algebra and friends, because my foundation in Algebra was really weak and non-existent and everything then was Algebra Algebra and Algebra. So I gave up on Math.

    Now, because my BIGGG examination is coming, this examination will determine where I go and my future, and in my country, failing Mathematics = no future, I am busy studying and learning Mathematics and Higher Mathematics (actually now I realized how fun Higher Mathematics is, esp. Logarithms - Only it sucks that I realized it a little too late) and doing Maths is fun!

    To me, trigonometric identities is a still a novelty though. Oh, and Algebra is my friend now!

  2. #92
    cast shadows metaphours's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    1,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by songofcalamity View Post
    When I was younger, I was good in Mathematics and pretty much like it, but when I hit 12, my laziness got the better of me, and well, I literally didn't listen in class and didn't attempted to do any homework. Over the course of few years of complete neglect towards Mathematics, my A* became an F and because of it, I really disliked Mathematics, I couldn't see how it work. The teacher was teaching us more complex stuff, and I didn't understand Algebra and friends, because my foundation in Algebra was really weak and non-existent and everything then was Algebra Algebra and Algebra. So I gave up on Math.

    Now, because my BIGGG examination is coming, this examination will determine where I go and my future, and in my country, failing Mathematics = no future, I am busy studying and learning Mathematics and Higher Mathematics (actually now I realized how fun Higher Mathematics is, esp. Logarithms - Only it sucks that I realized it a little too late) and doing Maths is fun!

    To me, trigonometric identities is a still a novelty though. Oh, and Algebra is my friend now!
    I know exactly how you feel, bruv. This is my life exactly. 'Cept I've never been good at math and never will. Hahahah.

  3. #93
    Senior Member Habba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Posts
    998

    Default

    This thread is little bit too long to read, so I just drop my thoughts here regarding OP.

    I'm studying Computers Sciences in university right now, and math studies are important part of it. And I don't like math at this level at all, for many reasons.

    - The math teacher is probably the most boring and nerdy person there is. His total ignorance of the current social atmosphere would be amusing, if it wouldn't be ruining the whole class. Most of the time I can't hear what's he's mumbling, and the rest of the time I wish I wouldn't need to listen his "less interesting than pile of rocks"-tone of voice. I get strong vibes that he's a psychopath.

    - Math is old-fashioned. Like I said, I study computer sciences. It's a science of which foundations are constantly changing. At any given moment, one trend can swipe across the field, and change practically everything you know. Core of the math hasn't changed much in the past two thousand years. And it shows, as the logics of mathematics are layers upon layers upon layers to the infinite. One bad example of this are the symbols used. Once during a lecture we were introduced to the set theory, and shown how unions, complements and such work. One simple task included at least 18 different non-numeric symbols! 18! That's a ridiculous amount to remember, especially when the symbols were unintuitive and uncommon. In Computer Science anything like that would be instantly discarded as being too complex and hard to manage. Simplicity is ingenuity.

    - Advanced math has little, if any, common applications. I have studied few courses of math at university, and don't recall a single moment of my life after that in which I would have used the things I had learned there. Not many persons are willing to learn stuff they won't be needing.
    "The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine."
    -Nikola Tesla

  4. #94

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Habba View Post
    In Computer Science anything like that would be instantly discarded as being too complex and hard to manage.
    Wait till you take Database Theory, Complier Theory, or the Theory of Computing. Abstraction is a basic skill needed for computer Scientists.

    UML is another thing with a lot of symbols to remember. There are also countless numbers of computer languages and file formats to remember.

    If you have trouble with 18 symbols, you will have trouble using API's in computer science, because they will have countless hooks that need to be remembered or looked up each time a hook is used.

    Quote Originally Posted by Habba View Post
    - Advanced math has little, if any, common applications. I have studied few courses of math at university, and don't recall a single moment of my life after that in which I would have used the things I had learned there. Not many persons are willing to learn stuff they won't be needing.
    Like I've said many times before, you have to TRY to apply something for it to be apply. Math unfortunately required more imagination and creativity for it's application than most people can muster.

    Name a subject in math you believe is useless for a particular field, and I wager, without much digging, we can find an application. It just requires imagination.

    Math is by far the most widely applied subject in history.

    Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

  5. #95
    Senior Member LostInNerSpace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    1,027

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Math unfortunately required more imagination and creativity for it's application than most people can muster.
    I don't buy it. People just need a solid foundation to start from. Like most people I was taught to fear math as a child. I feel robbed of that experience. Now I have a lot of catching up to do. It just needs to be taught properly.

  6. #96

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LostInNerSpace View Post
    I don't buy it. People just need a solid foundation to start from. Like most people I was taught to fear math as a child. I feel robbed of that experience. Now I have a lot of catching up to do. It just needs to be taught properly.
    I believe everything can be learned given the proper training program...including imagination in math application.

    Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

  7. #97
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    4
    Posts
    384

    Default

    I've always had a math phobia. I only noticed it when I had a question about a problem, then blam! the phobia came to the front of my existence. Then I started equating my failure in math with problems in every academic subject that came my way, even those I might have not felt phobic about.

    When I was about 30 I heard of parents who played math games with their kids. They played how many and how much equals this and that. I heard families played math facts and math family games. They also used rote memorization tactics to help their children learn basic facts. All good.

    I never felt animosity towards the subject of math, I felt frustration. Why wasn't I catching on?! Is this rocket science fgs?! No, it's not rocket science was my answer to my myself.

    Still I don't get how it's so hard to reach kids who have limited discipline in their lives and I wonder what teachers need to do to make the subject engaging and meaningful. Even if they could explain steps of math more coherently or tell how problems of math relate to one another and other subjects, like physics, I would like that.

    Is math an invented science or a natural order?

  8. #98
    HAHHAHHAH! INTJ123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP
    Posts
    777

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wren View Post
    I've always had a math phobia. I only noticed it when I had a question about a problem, then blam! the phobia came to the front of my existence. Then I started equating my failure in math with problems in every academic subject that came my way, even those I might have not felt phobic about.

    When I was about 30 I heard of parents who played math games with their kids. They played how many and how much equals this and that. I heard families played math facts and math family games. They also used rote memorization tactics to help their children learn basic facts. All good.

    I never felt animosity towards the subject of math, I felt frustration. Why wasn't I catching on?! Is this rocket science fgs?! No, it's not rocket science was my answer to my myself.

    Still I don't get how it's so hard to reach kids who have limited discipline in their lives and I wonder what teachers need to do to make the subject engaging and meaningful. Even if they could explain steps of math more coherently or tell how problems of math relate to one another and other subjects, like physics, I would like that.

    Is math an invented science or a natural order?
    Maybe you just realized math was the piece of crap that it is in an early age.
    Well maybe I was a bit cynical there.

    I forgot the name but there are new visual ways of learning math.

    I don't think this is the exact thing but similar. Supposedly this new method has gotten people who are like you, to excel in math.
    New Way Of Teaching Math Comes From Singapore - wcco.com

  9. #99
    Alexander the Terrible yenom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,755

    Default

    Math is just manipulating information. People who suck at math cares about getting the right answer too much. Its the process that counts. All it takes is practice, practice and more pracitice, kind of like swimming.
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

    "In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

    Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

  10. #100
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    938

    Default

    I love numbers and calculation. But it when it becomes too abstract, difficult, and protracted I lose interest. Geometry sucks anyway.

Similar Threads

  1. Why are you here?
    By rhinosaur in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 05-19-2011, 06:08 AM
  2. Religion... why?
    By wyrdsister in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 175
    Last Post: 01-28-2010, 04:31 PM
  3. Why I am here
    By HilbertSpace in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-25-2007, 01:18 AM
  4. Why?
    By SolitaryWalker in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 04-24-2007, 06:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO