Thread: burnout

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    :run

Default burnout

So I'm reading all these articles on burnout, and they all say "nausea, infections, depression, etc." are the symptoms. But it seems to me, if you're so burnt out, you have these symptoms, you have bigger problems. Not to be a douche, but if I'm not throwing up and contracting ear infections, am I not burnt out?

So then I thought, "Oh, I'll post on MBTIc." I want to know about your burnout story. 'Cause I'm at the point where I don't care. I have a paper due and I just laugh at it. I fantasize about May 28th, and I don't have the passion for music like I did. I'm burnt out, right?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

No, you MUST have an ear infection to qualify for burnout.

burnout just means you fucking hate what you are doing, lack the passion you once had, feel all of your efforts are wasted and spend lots of time doing other stuff-like posting on personality websites.

Not that I know anybody who is burnt out or anything...

MBTI
    INFP

I don't think you necessarily need such blatent physical symptoms to be deemed 'burnt out'. Stress and burnout are related, but not entirely the same.

This site seems to explain it pretty well: Preventing Burnout: Signs, Symptoms, Causes, and Coping Strategies as well as the links.

Burnout may be the result of unrelenting stress, but it isnít the same as too much stress. Stress, by and large, involves too much: too many pressures that demand too much of you physically and psychologically. Stressed people can still imagine, though, that if they can just get everything under control, theyíll feel better.

Burnout, on the other hand, is about not enough. Being burned out means feeling empty, devoid of motivation, and beyond caring. People experiencing burnout often donít see any hope of positive change in their situations. If excessive stress is like drowning in responsibilities, burnout is being all dried up. One other difference between stress and burnout: While youíre usually aware of being under a lot of stress, you donít always notice burnout when it happens.
    As a student, I feel like I've been witheriing away over the past few months and I've literally got less than a week left of exams and I've just started breaking out, getting migraines, tearing up, feeling anxious/depressed, and procrastinating like crazy. It's so close yet so far away. I mean, this sounds like major test anxiety, but it's also because I've been studying something I've never been passionate about, and actually, used to actively dislike, and I'm basically forcing myself to get it done with because it feels like I don't have much choice. Whenever I get close to having to do a major evaluation this fact comes up in my head and depresses me. I've tried hard to change the extrinsic motivation into intrinsic motivation, because I know that it's much more powerful.

Sometimes I feel like I'm on the verge of burnout but I just feel more overstressed than anything else because I AM still hopeful that once it's over with, things will look better. I think full on burnout requires a total loss of any motivation to get things done.

So anyway, from what you said, it does sound like you're burnt out, but I'm definitely no expert. Hopefully you'll find a way to pick yourself up from it.

Banned

I burn out every quarter/term/semester toward the end. Then we get a break, I catch my breath, and dive back in. I've basically resigned myself to this existence. I love the work and I love the life, the burn out is just part of the package. When it starts to feel like it will never end, I just remind myself that it always does.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by juggernaut View Post
    I burn out every quarter/term/semester toward the end. Then we get a break, I catch my breath, and dive back in. I've basically resigned myself to this existence. I love the work and I love the life, the burn out is just part of the package. When it starts to feel like it will never end, I just remind myself that it always does.
    Burnout is more than just stress overload. A lot of it has to do with long term attempts to force ourselves to be something else/do more than we can handle in the long term. But the feeling to burnout is very different than stress overload.

It's waking up feeling trapped... It's you forcing yourself to put foot in front of foot... it's you walking to the gallows, surviving it with no energy and no hope... Everything else in life fades. Your life becomes empty... no energy and no will to do anything. You'll hide yourself away in some corner, try to escape it, but it sits in your mind. The escape fades as soon as you stop doing it. You avoid bed, just because you know you have to get up... and every day ends the same... back in bed, unable to sleep, thinking about doing this again tomorrow. And the day after.

Soon the incremental stress takes it toll. Now the escape is going to bed. Depression sets in... you sleep as soon as you get home... and wake up and lie in bed for most of the night. The anxiety builds up... you start to become erratic. The body gets weaker... and the physical symptoms set in. You start taking OTC medications for headaches, tension, muscles. You see a doctor, get anti depressants, sleep aids... but that just raises your ability to function - raises the amount of stress your body will take before more functions start to break down.

Hmmm, sounds kind of dramatic when I put it that way. Anyway, it's the compounded amounts of small but significant stress that leads to burnout. Test "burn out", spurts of high pressure and stress leads to crashing and breakdowns... Students do get it, especially over achievers... but that's over the long run too, when they never really stop. It's harder for students to get it... less identity and fixed time lines break up the stress. And being trapped in a job tends to mean mortgage and family, never mind social pressures in general... that's a serious amount of long term (ie: 30+years) pressure to stay miserable.

Banned

It appears the OP and I must be experiencing something else. Thank you for the clarification.

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

Imo. If one sneezes at that last stretch just before that redeeming box of donuts at the end, that same person will have less appetite for the donuts. In other words, It can become a habit to start sneezing Don't start becoming allergic to finishing or you may start to concoct allergies to starting later on. Should you finish, you will likely always finish. And i pose a question to you. Will those donuts be tastier to you if you have prior allergie/s?
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I know burn out well. I think I burn out in every job I've had (except this one, and I can't stay.)
    One of the last jobs I was in, I developed tonsilitis, RSI, and was becoming more and more billegirent with each passing day. I was so tired. It didn't help that I had to have my doctor phone up my work place so I could have some time off. My manager wouldn't let me have annual leave otherwise. Resentment built up and I was angry all the time. And I stopped caring... and I stopped worrying about being "nice."
    They were wankers any way...but still I kinda blush when I think about some of things that came out of my mouth during that time.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    :run

Quote Originally Posted by placebo View Post
    This site seems to explain it pretty well: Preventing Burnout: Signs, Symptoms, Causes, and Coping Strategies as well as the links.
    That site says that burnout means you're headed down the wrong path (careerwise). And I don't think that's true.