User Tag List

First 12

Thread: burnout

I only burned out from a job once. I didn't get depressed, just felt trapped and angry. I could have smashed the whole place down with a sledgehammer in 30 minutes flat. It's the feeling of having no options that leads to burnout.

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Burnout is more than just stress overload. A lot of it has to do with long term attempts to force ourselves to be something else/do more than we can handle in the long term. But the feeling to burnout is very different than stress overload.

It's waking up feeling trapped... It's you forcing yourself to put foot in front of foot... it's you walking to the gallows, surviving it with no energy and no hope... Everything else in life fades. Your life becomes empty... no energy and no will to do anything. You'll hide yourself away in some corner, try to escape it, but it sits in your mind. The escape fades as soon as you stop doing it. You avoid bed, just because you know you have to get up... and every day ends the same... back in bed, unable to sleep, thinking about doing this again tomorrow. And the day after.

Soon the incremental stress takes it toll. Now the escape is going to bed. Depression sets in... you sleep as soon as you get home... and wake up and lie in bed for most of the night. The anxiety builds up... you start to become erratic. The body gets weaker... and the physical symptoms set in. You start taking OTC medications for headaches, tension, muscles. You see a doctor, get anti depressants, sleep aids... but that just raises your ability to function - raises the amount of stress your body will take before more functions start to break down.

Hmmm, sounds kind of dramatic when I put it that way. Anyway, it's the compounded amounts of small but significant stress that leads to burnout. Test "burn out", spurts of high pressure and stress leads to crashing and breakdowns... Students do get it, especially over achievers... but that's over the long run too, when they never really stop. It's harder for students to get it... less identity and fixed time lines break up the stress. And being trapped in a job tends to mean mortgage and family, never mind social pressures in general... that's a serious amount of long term (ie: 30+years) pressure to stay miserable.
    You write this as if you know these feelings intimately. I know them quite well myself. I relate to the description of burnout you wrote. You weren't being too overdramatic. Lucky for me the family part hasn't happened yet.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

I've experienced burnouts....and in school, it usually happens when I'm so close to the finish line. I think it's because my mind leaps ahead to being done/finished, when reality hasn't caught up. And, the melancholy then sets in, because you can't just speed up time and wrap the whole shebang up and move on. Going through the motions then feels like time is stretching itself infinitely and there's really no end.

Banned

+1

I think people outside of academia sometimes forget what this is like. Having worked plenty of shit jobs, for long periods of time, I can say without equivocation that what we go through near the end of a degree, or even just a really hard term, is probably as stressful (or more so) as anything I ever dealt with in the decade and a half I was out in the "real world". Burnout seems to be a part of the package for us.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    You write this as if you know these feelings intimately. I know them quite well myself. I relate to the description of burnout you wrote. You weren't being too overdramatic. Lucky for me the family part hasn't happened yet.
    Yup, I'm familiar with it... but I've heard quite a bit from some psyche friends that deal with really bad cases.

The thing to remember about burnout is that it is, at its core, a sort of long term stress. It is very different than being in stressful situations - like exams - which carry a different set of risks. And the symptoms are quite different - people on burnout start to shut out the world, emotions become dead, purpose and goals mean nothing. Stress is pretty much the opposite of these. The exact cause is up for debate and is probably somewhat personal, but small incremental stress - even if just being out of a 'natural' environment - seems to be the common link.

The distinction is important because a person can seem to have it all - like I did - and yet be on the verge of collapse. Stress is way more physical than burnout, so burnout can fly under the radar... and it isn't so easy to unravel.

I was reaching my limit over the last 6 months. It went from 'some issues' to 'check off every single thing on the list'. My wife knew it, but my family can't see it... so now that I am leaving this job (which wasn't my choice), it's hard to explain that I really need time to recover.

It's good to know you've gotten yourself out of the situation that was burning you out.

It took me a long time to realize I need to make a change as well. However, I still haven't found a new job. I am still searching.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

Fortunately, I was way too aware at the possibility of 'burning out' during university - Cambridge University (UK), the original institution, here. Now I'm about to state something (to the world) that I never stated before.

... And that's that I never gave a damn about pursuing hard whilst being there - I simply knew that in the end, whether I attain a good degree or not, that I'd be worn out to the extent that only my degree, a decent job opportunity and a mundane 'settled' life out of it would be my atonement in the long-run.

It didn't fit for me to go about like that - it's in my criterion to explore life the way I see it, and seek to make the most in all my areas... not just academics. That place seemed to focus solely on the academic area as though it's 'everything'. It's not right, there's more to life than that.

Being asked to go back to Cambridge nowadays, which is quite a decision to make.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    It's good to know you've gotten yourself out of the situation that was burning you out.

It took me a long time to realize I need to make a change as well. However, I still haven't found a new job. I am still searching.
    Getting out is hard... but what's really hard is finding something else that isn't the same. Once you learn the bad 'habits'... aie. I dunno what I'll end up doing yet... and that's the scary part for me.