User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Results 71 to 80 of 116

  1. #71
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cascademn View Post
    However in tech/IT/science fields, it's not really an issue, and those types of personalities aren't nearly as prevalent. Certainly don't have the drama and cattiness.
    Don't you believe it. I've met many a bitchy fella in IT.
    And all most of them talk about is fucking FOOTBALL. Give me strength!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  2. #72
    4x9 cascadeco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    4 so/sp
    Posts
    6,931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    Don't you believe it. I've met many a bitchy fella in IT.
    And all most of them talk about is fucking FOOTBALL. Give me strength!!
    Really? I guess I've met a few like that, but for the most part I befriend/chat with the total science/computer geeks. You know...the NT's.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

    My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

  3. #73
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    And yet women are in control? Who defines this system of 'valuation'?

    Answer this, sw, would you want your SO to be the type of woman who responds with open legs to such a txt msg?
    I don't judge people for their sexual decisions (assuming they involve only consenting adults.) I think it's extraordinarily hypocritical for men to whine about women not putting out and then call them nasty names behind their backs when they do, and this is something I hate about male culture in general.

    I wish there was something I could do to stop other men from doing this, but there isn't much beyond telling them it's lame.

    Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    You said:
    But you fail to illustrate your point. How exactly, are women wielding this sexual power? Why are they not more economically or politically powerful if your assertion is correct?
    Because it's only social power, and since it's biologically based there's not really anything that can or should be done about it. It's just annoying.

    Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    Ignoring that, let's accept your premise.
    Women make up ~50% of "society". What reason would they have for doing anything about it? The other 50% can take back the "power" any time they want by keeping it zipped up. Therefore, the solution is in your own hands! Quit bitching!
    Haha, I don't think male mass refusal to have sex with women would somehow result in more sex. It also seems to me that biology forces men on average to have higher sex drives than women, so this approach would fail utterly. There IS no reasonable solution; again, it's just annoying. Venting!

    Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    Excuse me for not buying into the notion that the US is the centre of the universe. Excuse me too for being so outraged that women are being brutally murdered in the 21st century (because they won't accept arranged marriages or because their husbands are not satisfied with them in some way) that the detail of her town's name coinciding with a comic book character completely passed me by!

    Way to miss the point, dude.

    But you're too busy worrying that you can't text up booty any time you feel like it to actually give a damn about real human rights abuses, eh?
    Hey buddy, I'm right there with you that this kind of crap is an outrage. I don't see why complaining about an unrelated topic precludes me from appreciating the seriousness of these human rights abuses; my last string of posts here was all in response to Babylon's post about matriarchy.

    At this point we've both wandered away from the OP's topic; don't assume I don't think your point is important just because I'm busy discussing a different one.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  4. #74
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Please provide the link to the exact story where a 16 year old has been sentenced to prison for 26 years for having consensual sex with a 15 year old. It needs to be from a real news source. It's your assertion and I don't have the time to crawl the web looking, putting the terms in Google brought up nothing like you're saying here.

    If he's 17 and she's 14, that won't be the same thing as you've asserted btw.
    Wiki say:

    Statutory Rape Is Illegal Sexual Activity Between Two People When It Would Otherwise Be Legal If Not For Their Age: In accordance with the FBI definition, statutory rape is characterized as non-forcible sexual intercourse with a person who is younger than the statutory age of consent. Dating without sexual contact can in no way be considered a form of statutory rape.[3] The term statutory rape generally refers to sex between an adult and a sexually mature minor past the age of puberty. Sexual relations with a prepubescent child, generically called "child molestation," is typically treated as a more serious crime.

    I don't have a link to a story with those precise ages, but judging from the fact that 16 is the AOC in a majority of US states, statistically this has to have happened. I'm sure you can find similar stories if you care that much, but the exact ages aren't so much the point as the idea that people are being sent to lengthy jail sentences for "rape" when they've had consensual sex with a person who's passed the age of puberty. The problem is primarily that, since people mature at such different rates, one-age AOC laws must necessarily result in a significant number of cases where sexually mature individuals are declared incapable of understanding/choosing to have sex...which is ridiculous.

    I don't want to turn this into a repeat of the AOC thread, but suffice it to say that I don't believe the AOC should ever prevent a sexually mature person from choosing to have sex. This is NOT the same thing as sex with 7 year olds. The idea of creating one law to make a blanket declaration of one age at which ALL people reach sexual maturity is silly; this is so person-dependent that it's totally impractical to generalize that way.

    Having the law as a general guideline might be reasonable, but charges should be dropped if and when the defense can bring the "victim"'s physician into court to testify that the victim is sexually and mentally mature enough to understand the implications of and voluntarily participate in sexual intercourse (whether or not it was an irresponsible decision is completely immaterial...we're talking about whether she was FORCED, not whether it was a smart decision.) THAT should be the deciding factor here, not some arbitrary age cutoff.

    If I convince a 12 year old to play poker with me and I win his lunch money (without cheating), am I guilty of statutory larceny?
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  5. #75
    I'm a star. Kangirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Posts
    1,470

    Default

    Didn't you just contradict yourself?

    Maybe I just have an odd conception of "power"....
    How do you mean? Re: contradicting myself? Seriously asking, not being assy.
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

    "please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

  6. #76
    Diabolical Kasper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx
    Posts
    11,544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    How can you possibly assert that these are two situations should be considered equivalent?
    When did I say they were?

    I think you'll find that not only have I not given my personal opinion anywhere in here I've also stated that the law does consider them different.

    Your example of a 16 year old being convicted for having sex with a 15 year old is extreme, most places would cover that under Romeo and Juliet laws which provides a defence where age differences are minor, it doesn't make it legal but the penalties, classification and after effects such as registering as a sex offender can be greatly reduced. The laws are there to stop situations where adults, especially those in a position of power such as a teacher/guardian/etc can claim consent when having sex with a minor, not to lock up teenagers for having sex with each other.

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    This is NOT the same thing as sex with 7 year olds.
    Um, the law agrees with you there, sexual abuse of a minor like you've mentioned there is paedophilia not statutory rape and would be considered child sexual abuse. You see how they're all a little bit different, rape, sexual abuse and statutory rape? The law has many other categories these things can fall under. Your suggestion that the law considers them the same is ludicrous.

  7. #77
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cascademn View Post
    Really? I guess I've met a few like that, but for the most part I befriend/chat with the total science/computer geeks. You know...the NT's.
    Yeah. The bitches tend to be SJs.
    I DO know the NTs. The men don't get interesting until they hit middle age, and start developing some social graces, IME. (Some of them never get there). The best conversations I've had have been with NF techies. They has the whole package.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  8. #78
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kangirl View Post
    How do you mean? Re: contradicting myself?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangirl View Post
    women do wield sexual power.
    ....
    The above fact is also arguably a strong contributor to historical and current laws throughout the world that seek to control women's sexuality, very often at the expense of their human rights.
    Again I ask: how is this power?

    What you, sw and others are saying is basically, women (I would qualify women in progressive democracies) have some say over who they have sex with. So that if they don't want to whore around with everyone, they don't have to.

    Whoop-de-doop.


    Power, in the sense of having something someone wants? That's like saying a gazelle has power because a lion wants to eat her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  9. #79
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Wiki say:

    Statutory Rape Is Illegal Sexual Activity Between Two People When It Would Otherwise Be Legal If Not For Their Age: In accordance with the FBI definition, statutory rape is characterized as non-forcible sexual intercourse with a person who is younger than the statutory age of consent. Dating without sexual contact can in no way be considered a form of statutory rape.[3] The term statutory rape generally refers to sex between an adult and a sexually mature minor past the age of puberty. Sexual relations with a prepubescent child, generically called "child molestation," is typically treated as a more serious crime.

    I don't have a link to a story with those precise ages, but judging from the fact that 16 is the AOC in a majority of US states, statistically this has to have happened. I'm sure you can find similar stories if you care that much, but the exact ages aren't so much the point as the idea that people are being sent to lengthy jail sentences for "rape" when they've had consensual sex with a person who's passed the age of puberty. The problem is primarily that, since people mature at such different rates, one-age AOC laws must necessarily result in a significant number of cases where sexually mature individuals are declared incapable of understanding/choosing to have sex...which is ridiculous.

    I don't want to turn this into a repeat of the AOC thread, but suffice it to say that I don't believe the AOC should ever prevent a sexually mature person from choosing to have sex. This is NOT the same thing as sex with 7 year olds. The idea of creating one law to make a blanket declaration of one age at which ALL people reach sexual maturity is silly; this is so person-dependent that it's totally impractical to generalize that way.

    Having the law as a general guideline might be reasonable, but charges should be dropped if and when the defense can bring the "victim"'s physician into court to testify that the victim is sexually and mentally mature enough to understand the implications of and voluntarily participate in sexual intercourse (whether or not it was an irresponsible decision is completely immaterial...we're talking about whether she was FORCED, not whether it was a smart decision.) THAT should be the deciding factor here, not some arbitrary age cutoff.

    If I convince a 12 year old to play poker with me and I win his lunch money (without cheating), am I guilty of statutory larceny?


    Is this your way of saying there are no newstories to link to where a 16 year old boy had consensual sex with a 15 year old girl and then was sentenced to 26 years in jail?

    You said previously there were many cases just like this. I saw many listed for 30-40 year olds with 14-16 year olds, none for 16 year olds with 15 year olds.

  10. #80
    ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INfj
    Posts
    3,741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cascademn View Post
    I do think it depends on the type of job and working environment. There are definitely fields/sectors that draw a lot more of the gossipy women. I would NOT do well longterm in that sort of environment. I really hate office drama and tend to keep more to myself in an office environment. [Random somewhat-related aside: I definitely have more fun talking/joking with a group of intellectual, geeky guys, than discussing interior decorating, new purses, or the likes with women. *shudder*]

    However in tech/IT/science fields, it's not really an issue, and those types of personalities aren't nearly as prevalent. Certainly don't have the drama and cattiness.
    +1

    The problem isn't in women... but the type of women in the workplace. Put in a bunch of problematic people... regardless of gender you'll get problems. It's just a matter of the sort of problems that crops up.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

Similar Threads

  1. [ENFJ] ISFP males in the eyes of an ENFJ females
    By floral87 in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-25-2011, 04:07 AM
  2. [ESFJ] The Memorial Service of an ESFJ
    By INTJMom in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 10-27-2008, 09:44 PM
  3. Paragons of an ESTP Female
    By Thursday in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-29-2008, 07:12 PM
  4. [MBTItm] Drowning inside the mythical mind of an INTP
    By Pseudonym_Alpha in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-16-2007, 09:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO