User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Salary and Type

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

There's a $20,000+ earnings gap between ENTJs and INFPs in that study. And when you look at ENTJ vs. INFP traits, it makes sense.

MBTI seems like it's definitely relateable to this.

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

Or. The ENTJ corporate execs swing all those other ENTJ ditch diggers to the highest bracket per capita.
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by professor goodstain View Post
    Or. The ENTJ corporate execs swing all those other ENTJ ditch diggers to the highest bracket per capita.
    Maybe, an ENTJ somewhere is not pulling their weight. But ENTJ is all about pride, so If they are digging ditches they are calculating how to get back on top.
    Join my gamma group on facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/edit....id=63943661343
    Thats if you are either ENTJ, ISFJ, ESFP or INTP

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by chegra View Post
    Maybe, an ENTJ somewhere is not pulling their weight. But ENTJ is all about pride, so If they are digging ditches they are calculating how to get back on top.
    Well yes. But, that dang many?
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

MBTI
    nnja
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    EII

"This site is not as popular as Keirsey's and also you have to pay for the test"

This might be why I am spotting a little bias... People who are in other (read:lower) socioeconomic circumstances are waaaaaaaaay less likely to pay for this kind of thing...
    "Don�t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive." - Howard Thurman

[SIGPIC]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l110/evillinclinations/fortune45.gif[/SIGPIC]

...and yes, I'm still on about that...

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon Candle View Post

the INTJ and ISTP are more frequently married than the ENFJ?
    So much for that page and their statistics.

Now go back to digging that ditch, Babylon Candle, and stop using other people's success as a badge of your own personal pride.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

For which type is money the strongest motivator? Sometimes it's not about performance... but priorities.

What's the population distribution of Ts and Fs between gender? 2/3 Ts are male, 2/3 Fs are female? Which gender traditionally earns a higher income?

There's simply too many ways to explain the results... (assuming the stats is valid in the first place.)
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

Quote Originally Posted by something boring View Post
    I'm wondering how they arrived these numbers...
    That's a whole lot of money... Who are these people? It's terribly expensive where I live, yet, I know no one who makes that much (no, not even couples).
    I can imagine that many people wouldn't really care to make any more money if they are already making $60K.

It's also wonder why the demographics aren't as skewed toward IN on personality page as I expected.

The order seems plausible. I can see how EJs and TJs generally do better in big corporations since those are the qualities believed by many to make good managers.

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    For which type is money the strongest motivator? Sometimes it's not about performance... but priorities.

What's the population distribution of Ts and Fs between gender? 2/3 Ts are male, 2/3 Fs are female? Which gender traditionally earns a higher income?

There's simply too many ways to explain the results... (assuming the stats is valid in the first place.)
    Exactly. There are so many things that come into play.

For instance, there is also a difference in what salaries people report when they took that test. For instance, when I took it, I reported my base salary minus the stuff I saved in my 401K. I don't know why I decided to do that; maybe I just don't like people knowing how much money I make.

Also, what if Bill Gates took the test (purported to be an ENTJ)? That would skew the average quite a bit. In fact, I think this effect will be significant on the numbers and can be analyzed to see how much the effect is (I will do so shortly).

Remember that salaries seem to follow a scale-free distribution not a Gaussian (the rich have much higher salaries than the rest) The phenomenon of skewed averages would be even greater when you notice the percentages of the types that took the personality page tests.

They really should be using medians for this sort of stuff.

Just other things to note:
    If I assume that the percentages of people listed on personality page represent the people who answered the salary question (a big probably false assumption, but it will illustrate the effect none-the-less, and I can't think of how to estimate the missing info.)

The average salary (weighted by percentages) is: $67096.77
    I cannot really estimate the Standard Deviation, since they didn't list the s.d. by type. (I could find it for the NUMBERS, but it would be a fairly meaningless result considering my already stretched assumptions)

Note that the average is only $5531.77 from the bottom, but $17337.23 from the top. That should tell you that the percentages of people of particular types taking the test CAN skew the results dramatically.

One final bit of evidence for this average skewing phenomenon comes from the correlation of salaries of type to the percentages of type, which is -0.32

I realize this may not make much sense to people so I've included a graph:
    Salary and Type-type-salaries-gif

Notice the prominent downward slope.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    As far as explaining the ENTP thing my hunch would be that this is based on reported income and that entps probably excel at hiding it. My understanding is that many are self employed also and as those of us who are self employed know there are many ways to hide/ write off a dollar.
    LOL, perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post

Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I can see how EJs and TJs generally do better in big corporations since those are the qualities believed by many to make good managers.
    Yes, I could agree with that.

Also, I would add that I would not reveal my income in some online test - whenever surveys ask for that info I don't answer them. That's too personal.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    The order seems plausible. I can see how EJs and TJs generally do better in big corporations since those are the qualities believed by many to make good managers.
    I think the results for everybody corresponds with expectation. (There are a host of reasons why the statistic can be wrong, but they do fit with expectation)

The only result that was surprising is ENTP.
    Join my gamma group on facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/edit....id=63943661343
    Thats if you are either ENTJ, ISFJ, ESFP or INTP