• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Problems at work

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
I wasn't entirely sure where to post this so, admins, please move it if it's in the wrong place.

I teach English overseas. My contract is almost up and I am about to leave my job. I've essentially 'given notice'. One of the other teachers here is staying on. She has been kind and loyal, hard working and sweet since the day she came. She asked to visit her family . The school said a solid "NO." Another teacher here is staying. She's just mean and underhanded, selfish and manipulative, insulting and racist. She thinks she owns this school and all the people in it. She *told* the school she was going home for a break and they said "ok."

The teacher who has been good, and who has consequently become my friend this year, has been promised the position of head teacher next year. The other teacher's reasponse was "Well that should be f***ing hillarious."

I'm mad. I'm really really mad. I don't care who's got the better business sense. What's going on here isn't *morally* right. They're letting a teacher stay who will poison the minds of every new teacher. They're punishing the one who does what is right. *This* is why I'm leaving. But I can't just let this happen, I have to try and do *something.* And I'm thinking, I'm gone in a few weeks, even if the other women catch wind of my "betrayal", what can they do to me that I can't live through? I've gone to the administration, talked to two of them individually and while I wasn't calm and I was very direct I did manage to not display my "temper." But I still don't know if I had an effect or if I'm being lied to, too. But at least I'm trying.

I'm so thuroughly angry right now at the injustice that's going on... Any advice on business situations like this, or on Asian business would be helpful.

Last edited:

wolfy

awsm
In South Korea? If you really want to stir it up tell the students mothers about it. Call a meeting. You've got nothing to lose because you are leaving.
The school administrators will spit the dummy.
South Korean mothers have power.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
^He has a point -- you are leaving, so you can stir up shit without risking anything.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
In South Korea? If you really want to stir it up tell the students mothers about it. Call a meeting. You've got nothing to lose because you are leaving.
The school administrators will spit the dummy.
South Korean mothers have power.

+1!!! Majorly good advice!

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
any advice on how I would call a meeting? I only know of maybe half a dozen parents who speak English. Should I tell their kids, or perhaps ask the Korean teachers to help me (they don't like this woman much either)? And...how would I call a meeting without the school knowing? Because, dude, if the school knows I'm doing anything that will make *them* look a fool they'll stop me. Should I continue to bother the administration? I also want to shy away from being too underhanded because that's one of the very behaviors that I resent and feel is morally reprehensible in the other woman...I'd rather do my fighting in the open if at all possible.

wolfy

awsm
I really don't know. I live in Japan and teach English here. But I have my own school. Maybe you should just back away then. I'm sorry I can't help more.
I don't know how you would set it up. You could simply have an open meeting. But you know there will be a lot of heat.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Does being "just mean and underhanded, selfish and manipulative, insulting and racist" affect the second teacher's work? Has the first teacher stated herself to the administration she would like to be extended the same courtesy of the second teacher? What makes this your business?

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
Wolfy: It's ok. Thank you for your advice. I'm definately taking it into consideration, and yes, I know that if I do something public it'll bring down a lot of heat. Do you run your own school in Japan? How is it for foriegners there right now?

Colors: Yes, I think it affects her work considering she's teaching the very race she's made scathing comments about. I also beleive it affects the entire work enviroement from the administration down to the children. It's my business because I can't let injustice go, especially if it a. effects me (which it does), b. is part of something I'm involved in (which it is), and c. I have a possiblity to make a change (which I have to believe I do). Yes, the first teacher has stated herself to the admins that she would like the same courtesy of the second teacher. But, whether or not it's my business is a matter of politics as much as anything else, you might as well ask if I think the French were right to get involved in the American revolutionary war.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
You're going to be disappointed if you expect things to be done for "moral" or "fair" reasons. Number one, morality is subjective. Number two, things are decided based on interest only. What interests are being served? Number three, you may not have the most accurate picture of what's actually going on.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
What makes this your business?

Agreed.

It's not your business.

I totally get how it makes you feel, but in order to be effective here, you have to tuck some of that justice-oriented energy into a rational approach that may or may not help influence things positively for your friend.

First, encourage your friend, the one denied time for a family visit, to put in writing her request for leave. Are there any HR policies that the school has in place you can reference wrt family visits? This could be powerful information. After all, she is the one who must stick up for herself here!

Second, DO NOT involve the parents in such a squabble. I'm thinking of this from a North American perspective, but what's the gain? It will only be divisive and likely unproductive.

Third, you could request an interview with the school administration (if you feel compelled to do so). Encourage the administration to have policies in place for the fair treatment of all teachers. Use the vacation as an example.

I would get a reference letter too - good to have for the future.

Good luck.