User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    Temperament is merely a set of natural dispositions. The fact that you are an INTP merely shows that you tend to be most comfortable with dispassionate contemplation (T) and abstract perception/imagination (N). Inevitably this suggests that you'd excell at fields that require such skills more than at others. However, this does not mean that you already have them, it only means that you have more potential to develop skill at this activity than at activities that do not emphasize those aspects of cognition as much. (T and N).

INTPs tend to be more talented at mathematics, the hard sciences and philosophy than at the humanities and the arts because they have distinct tendencies for systematic thought which is demanded in those fields. However, systematic thought is often frowned upon in the humanities and the arts because the more free-flowing, intuitive reasoning is preferred. (To exemplify this matter, consider the attitude of poets or novelists regarding the thought of physicists or mathematicians, almost doubtlessly they'd see their analytic approach to ideas as a straight-jacket.)

Note also, as a general rule counselling is more of an NF activity than that of any type because it involves intepersonal interaction with individuals to a notable degree. INTPs may excell at this due to their tendency to be good listeners and to solve the problems of patients in therapy, however, they are likely to find this field less enjoyable than the exact sciences (and studies related to them) because therapy requires exact thinking much less than those fields.

Biology is much closer to an empirical science than psychology and is for this reason to be preferred for an INTP. That is so because it is more objective in nature as it is concerned with studying matters that are clear-cut in nature rather than the amorphous entities psychology studies. The minds of people are not as clearly defined and investigated as biological organisms. But remember, this merely shows that you're likely more talented at biology than psychology, it does not mean that you would have an easier time in the field. It could simply be the case that the circumstances of your life were such that you have already developed more skills that are directly applicable to psychology more so than to biology and for this reason psychology may be easier.

So, in summary, biology is in closer affinity with the INTP's natural talents and in principle if you were to study both for a long period of time you'd likely excel at biology more than at psychology, yet what you'd excell at more at this moment has more to do with extra-typological factors than typological.
    Wow great insight! I just want to clarify that I'm not basing this decision purely on my typology, but was curious whether either of these professions was deemed a "very good fit" for an INTP.

With regards to my cognitive functions I describe myself as currently having a greater ability with regards to my Ne, as I have quite extensively studied humanity and art type subjects previously at Uni to become a primary school teacher. However I do have a great interest in developing my Ti and hard science is something that has always interested me.

That being said I don't want my work to always being dealing with exacts, I need some element of intuitive reasoning within my work. I guess I'm saying I want to explore hypotheses, not simply tally facts. I'm liking this idea of ecology, it seems like it would be a good blend of both.
    Good Dog Nigel

Arf, arf, he goes, a merry sight,
    Our little hairy friend,
    Arf, arf, upon the lampost bright
    Arfing round the bend.
    Nice dog! Goo boy,
    Waggie tail and beg,
    Clever Nigel, jump for joy
    Because we're putting you to sleep at three of the clock, Nigel. -John Lennon

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post

Let's just say that if you're going to do any sort of critical theory work, hermeneutics, or literary analysis, then you have to turn off the deconstructive logic and turn on whatever intuitive process it is that allows for the almost endless integration of theories (take one crazy theory, find a problem with it based on your experience or intuition, and then patch it up by bringing in parts of another crazy theory that you detect a connection to, ad infinitum).
    ahh humanities.... A degree in bullshit

as someone whose been down this road though.

honestly, being an academic sucks from all relevant data I can gather. If you major in bio, you go to medical school, period. Before the economy collapsed I would say get a PhD and then get the fuck out of academia and into biotech (but most venture capital money is dried up).
    ive ended up double majoring in econ because i realized way late in the game that the only thing you can really do with bio is medschool... but then again, all you can really do with Psych is get a PhD in Psych...(i guess you could get a masters n council though)

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    512 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon Candle View Post
    ahh humanities.... A degree in bullshit

as someone whose been down this road though.

honestly, being an academic sucks from all relevant data I can gather. If you major in bio, you go to medical school, period. Before the economy collapsed I would say get a PhD and then get the fuck out of academia and into biotech (but most venture capital money is dried up).
    ive ended up double majoring in econ because i realized way late in the game that the only thing you can really do with bio is medschool... but then again, all you can really do with Psych is get a PhD in Psych...(i guess you could get a masters n council though)
    I was going to do a double-major in psych and chemistry. I ended up with a double-major in biochem and chem. Even with my interest in psychology, I figured that I could read up on psych in my own free time and that my interest would not extend to actually working in that field.

Yes, academia sucks... (saying this as someone who's about to START grad school). I'm doing it precisely because the economy has died and finding a job would be tougher than milking a bull. It buys me another 3 years, and I hope that the economy recovers by then so that I can get a proper job in biotech. Otherwise it's teaching for me.

I love lab work and research, and I know quite a few INTPs in my field (biophysics). As far as I know, they like the work and the thinking part, but hate academia and all of its pretensions and politics.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon Candle View Post
    Umm..there are lots of things you can do with a bio degree without going to med school. Most of the better jobs do require post-Bsc studies though.

You couldn't pay me to go to med school .
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Umm..there are lots of things you can do with a bio degree without going to med school. Most of the better jobs do require post-Bsc studies though.

You couldn't pay me to go to med school .
    and all of those things involve a PhD. 400,000$ anesthesiology. 65,000$ working in academia, or even shit, as a lab rat in the private sector. If you want to make money with Bio, you go to med school :steam:

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    infp

bio just because ur a thinker

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Snowey1210 View Post
    Wow great insight! I just want to clarify that I'm not basing this decision purely on my typology, but was curious whether either of these professions was deemed a "very good fit" for an INTP.

With regards to my cognitive functions I describe myself as currently having a greater ability with regards to my Ne, as I have quite extensively studied humanity and art type subjects previously at Uni to become a primary school teacher. However I do have a great interest in developing my Ti and hard science is something that has always interested me.

That being said I don't want my work to always being dealing with exacts, I need some element of intuitive reasoning within my work. I guess I'm saying I want to explore hypotheses, not simply tally facts. I'm liking this idea of ecology, it seems like it would be a good blend of both.

Like I said earlier, every INTP has greater potential regarding exact studies than the inexact, yet not every INTP has greater skill regarding the exact studies than the inexact.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Psychology, because it's much more interesting.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

A lot of you seem to be under the assumption that psych is "more" feeling oriented, more about "loving others" plus Freud stuff or something, and that hard-nosed empirical minds have no place in the psych field. This is not so.

Trust me, an INTP can LOVE psychology once they have thoroughly studied William James and Skinner. Even if these scholars were too reductionistic about human minds, psyches what not, behaviorists do a very keen job of cleaning up the "muddiness" spoken of in psychology, leaving a pure empircal science behind. Cognitive psych is what remains of that sterilization done by the behaviorists in psychology.

If you want to abstract more (and shoot down abstractions more) often, go psych. Bio is extremly "hard" and unmoving - the principle abstract questions surrounding biology have not changed since Aristotle.

EDIT: actually, go both and go into Neuro like I am I am becoming.... SUPERNERD

What if you're an INTP who prefers and (even in University) is very good at the humanities. I'm pretty sure I'm an INTP, but if that's so, why did I gravitate towards the humanities in High School even though I also tried math and the hard sciences? Why does analytical philosophy (no offense, Solitary Walker) bore me even though I am good at it? I really don't know. Maybe I'm just lazy and don't want to subject my ideas to the crucible of objectivity. But whatever the case, I'm not all that big on the INTP cult of "logic" and "truth", preferring beauty, meaning, and personal experience (still, after taking a Drama course in university I quickly learned my toleration for the "inexact" did, in fact, have a limit) But INTP fits me quite well in many other ways (I identify as INxP currently because my views on life seem to be diametrically opposed to those of 95% of INTPs).

Even in univeristy, I have excelled at the humanistic subjects (when my P-ness wasn't so oppressive it prevented me from handing in papers). Would you reccomend staying on this path, or doing something more in line with the INTP skill set? Perhaps I just haven't found an "exact" subject I can get passionate about yet...

Edit: many apologies for the wanton excess of winks
    Last edited by auriel; 06-19-2010 at 02:19 AM. Reason: unfinished sentence