• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Industrial and Organizational Psychology

DigitalMethod

Content. Content?
MBTI Type
INTJ
Does anyone have any experience in this field? It sounds pretty spot on with me. I enjoy psychology yet I cannot see myself being a psychologist. I/O Psychology sounds like a good fit for me and I'm just curious if anyone has any experience with it.

Lexinator

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I also am interested in this potential field of study, and potential PhD pursuit at a future timeframe. Are you seriously considering a degree in this fiield?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
is this the kind where you select the perfect candidate for the perfect job at the request of the hiring firm?

DigitalMethod

Content. Content?
MBTI Type
INTJ
is this the kind where you select the perfect candidate for the perfect job at the request of the hiring firm?

No those are head-hunters I think? I'm not sure what major that is. I/O Psychology is psychology in the workplace. Psychology used to increase efficiency in business settings. That does involve interviews and such to hire people. Also other things like maybe training, helping management. It's almost like a management/HR hybrid sort of thing.

I also am interested in this potential field of study, and potential PhD pursuit at a future timeframe. Are you seriously considering a degree in this fiield?

Yes I am seriously considering it. For my bachelors.
However, I'm considering other things also, and I kind have backed away from I/O Psychology because I worry about how the interaction would stress me out (especially training employee's). Why do you ask though?

Lexinator

MBTI Type
ENTJ
No those are head-hunters I think? I'm not sure what major that is. I/O Psychology is psychology in the workplace. Psychology used to increase efficiency in business settings. That does involve interviews and such to hire people. Also other things like maybe training, helping management. It's almost like a management/HR hybrid sort of thing.

Yes I am seriously considering it. For my bachelors.
However, I'm considering other things also, and I kind have backed away from I/O Psychology because I worry about how the interaction would stress me out (especially training employee's). Why do you ask though?

I have 22 years of experience, most of which involves a plethora of team and continuous improvement-oriented activities. I am facinated with psychology and sociology, so the I&O Psychology are seems to be a blend of my experiences, anecdotes and interest in sociology and psychology. I want to move out of engineering management and into consulting, and also want to be a University Professor down the road, so this field caught my attention. There are 25 competencies identified in the field, and I am interested in all of them, and have keen interest in at least half of them.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
IMO it's extremely Guardian concentrated due to its relationship with the business world, but it's a very popular subfield in psych these days....

however, most of the IO profs I know are utterly CLUELESS about general psychology, and I sincerely question the scientific ability of all IO psychologists in general (ask most people why they went into IO... #1 response: money). When I asked my IO instructor how could you possibly correct for, or check "noise in the data" for, Cognitive Dissonance in relation to Worker Happiness and pay.... he didn't even understand the question! he merely restated some textbook definition, never even seemed to understand that Cognitive Dissonance creates a HUGE, HUGE problem when trying to understand underlying mechanisms of Employee Satisfaction.