User Tag List

Content. Content? DigitalMethod's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ

Default Industrial and Organizational Psychology

Does anyone have any experience in this field? It sounds pretty spot on with me. I enjoy psychology yet I cannot see myself being a psychologist. I/O Psychology sounds like a good fit for me and I'm just curious if anyone has any experience with it.
    "The life of the individual has meaning only insofar as it aids in making the life of every living thing nobler and more beautiful."
    - Albert Einstein

MBTI
    ENTJ

I also am interested in this potential field of study, and potential PhD pursuit at a future timeframe. Are you seriously considering a degree in this fiield?

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

is this the kind where you select the perfect candidate for the perfect job at the request of the hiring firm?
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

Content. Content? DigitalMethod's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    is this the kind where you select the perfect candidate for the perfect job at the request of the hiring firm?
    No those are head-hunters I think? I'm not sure what major that is. I/O Psychology is psychology in the workplace. Psychology used to increase efficiency in business settings. That does involve interviews and such to hire people. Also other things like maybe training, helping management. It's almost like a management/HR hybrid sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexinator View Post
    I also am interested in this potential field of study, and potential PhD pursuit at a future timeframe. Are you seriously considering a degree in this fiield?
    Yes I am seriously considering it. For my bachelors.
    However, I'm considering other things also, and I kind have backed away from I/O Psychology because I worry about how the interaction would stress me out (especially training employee's). Why do you ask though?
    "The life of the individual has meaning only insofar as it aids in making the life of every living thing nobler and more beautiful."
    - Albert Einstein

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalMethod View Post
    No those are head-hunters I think? I'm not sure what major that is. I/O Psychology is psychology in the workplace. Psychology used to increase efficiency in business settings. That does involve interviews and such to hire people. Also other things like maybe training, helping management. It's almost like a management/HR hybrid sort of thing.

Yes I am seriously considering it. For my bachelors.
    However, I'm considering other things also, and I kind have backed away from I/O Psychology because I worry about how the interaction would stress me out (especially training employee's). Why do you ask though?
    I have 22 years of experience, most of which involves a plethora of team and continuous improvement-oriented activities. I am facinated with psychology and sociology, so the I&O Psychology are seems to be a blend of my experiences, anecdotes and interest in sociology and psychology. I want to move out of engineering management and into consulting, and also want to be a University Professor down the road, so this field caught my attention. There are 25 competencies identified in the field, and I am interested in all of them, and have keen interest in at least half of them.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

IMO it's extremely Guardian concentrated due to its relationship with the business world, but it's a very popular subfield in psych these days....

however, most of the IO profs I know are utterly CLUELESS about general psychology, and I sincerely question the scientific ability of all IO psychologists in general (ask most people why they went into IO... #1 response: money). When I asked my IO instructor how could you possibly correct for, or check "noise in the data" for, Cognitive Dissonance in relation to Worker Happiness and pay.... he didn't even understand the question! he merely restated some textbook definition, never even seemed to understand that Cognitive Dissonance creates a HUGE, HUGE problem when trying to understand underlying mechanisms of Employee Satisfaction.