User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Default Questions about graduate study

Do high school results affect one's chance of being accepted into grad school for a master's degree? I'm an undergrad who's doing quite well in a B.A in journalism, but my HS results were disgusting, to say the least.

That said, what do you recommend I further my studies in? I would love to be an 'academic activist' (Sloppy term, I know. Well, basically someone who researches into things such as discrimination and influence changes in a concrete way, like policies. I would love to work in a think tank/non profit). My prime interest is gender (other interests include racism, poverty, etc) but women's studies would be too narrow, wouldn't it? (though not out of the question). Other ideas floating in my head are international relations, anthropology, sociology, public policy and development studies.

(I know, I know that it all depends on the school I apply to, right? But generally speaking, what are my chances? I have less than 2 years before I graduate, so I'm just assessing my options.)

Any valuable input would be much appreciated!

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

1. Highschool? NO! Even undergrad grades to some extent only plays a partial role. It's about finding a good fit with your supervisor. If they back you, you're in.

2. It doesn't depend on the school... it depends on the prof you're working under. The choice should be based on which field of research interests you... and based on that, find your prof... then you bring the school into consideration.

3. Chances? God knows. You best bet is to ask around. Figure out which area you are interested in and hunt out the profs in the field. Find out as much about them as you can... if possible, contact their current or previous grad students and ask them their experiences working under the prof.

4. To think about... Why are you interested in a master's degree? What extra benefit does it gain you? Is it worth the extra year/2 years? Is it worth the dough?
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Thanks for replying.

Why a master's? Because I would like to climb to the upper echelon policy making. I want to influence things strategically, And as narcissistic as this may sound, I would like to be an expert in my areas of interest - attend conferences, write papers and books, etc. Plus, for the intellectual challenge. There are simply many things I want to learn. Studying for a B.A - especially in journalism in a small local college - doesn't satisfy me intellectually.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Highschool grades won't matter at all.

Consider transfering to a bigger university for the final 2 years of your undergrad degree. When there, find a prof who LOVES you and make sure you do everything possible to impress this prof and put them in a cheerleader position when it comes to grad school applications.

Effort will make a big difference here - if you're very interested in and motivated by a topic, it'll show. Your results will show it.
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

The only high school grade that matters to Graduate programs, ironically, is P.E. How were your basketball skills? Graduate programs are obsessed with free-throw percentages.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Kangirl View Post

Consider transferring to a bigger university for the final 2 years of your undergrad degree. When there, find a prof who LOVES you and make sure you do everything possible to impress this prof and put them in a cheerleader position when it comes to grad school applications.
    Great idea! I'm gonna drop by another university soon to check out if I can transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    The only high school grade that matters to Graduate programs, ironically, is P.E. How were your basketball skills? Graduate programs are obsessed with free-throw percentages.
    Oh noes! I didn't attend that most of the time. I didn't even bother faking cramps, I simply gave a bitchy face.

Anyone else have any input? Considering the fees of the university I'm planning to check out, most likely I would have to suck it up at where I'm at right now

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I don't agree with Kangirl. You don't have to transfer for any of that. Find a prof at your current school whose 1) work you admire and 2) personality you feel comfortable with. Ask them for guidance, for some research position (unpaid or paid or for credits -- some universities offer units for research projects or theses), and eventually, you'll ask them for a kick ass letter of rec. You could even find a couple profs like these and juggle/play them all like a player. I'm seriously. It's a good mentality to adopt, imo, too.

MBTI
    ISXJ

I agree with Edahn. Transferring schools is not necessary so long as the school you are at is accredited by your state. However, if you would like to transfer, you can always fill out a FAFSA and find some financial aid...it's out there, you just have to look for it.

If the journalism program is much better at the other school you're looking at, then go for it. I did my first 2 years at an accredited commuter school, and then transferred for my last 2 years to a much larger university because the program there was significantly better. For me, it was a great experience.

Really, the important thing to get into grad school is to have some great references and do decent on the GRE. Once you get into the upper-levels of your undergrad courses, find a professor you really like, and take them for as many classes as you can. Stay after class and talk to them, and do your best work there. Like Edahn said, you can always ask of there is a student-work program within the department to be hired. If your prof. is a PhD candidate, the chances are good that they are doing research and need Graduate Research Assistants (or knows someone else that does need assistants). You really can't rely on a job posting on a website to get you in the door. Be proactive about it.

MBTI
    ENTJ

No, I don't think transfer is a *necessity* either, I was just throwing it out there in the interests of maximising chances.
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Kangirl View Post
    Consider transfering to a bigger university for the final 2 years of your undergrad degree.
    I'm sure it varies based on location, but be very careful if you do this, because many universities will give you huge troubles with transferring (and you may not find out until it's too late). Many schools won't recognize some of the credits from other universities, and a lot of the time they won't tell you this up-front. Then you'll end up with huge hassles and maybe take longer to graduate.

Not to scare you but I've heard enough horror stories to warn me away from transferring without a VERY good reason. Not sure what the benefit is at all, actually. Many, many people switch schools after graduating, to go on to a masters.
    -end of thread-