• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Myers-Briggs and the Writing Craft

litterateur

MBTI Type
ENTP
As an avid writer, I don't know why this didn't occur to me earlier. And a quick Google search produces little fare on the topic. So, tell me about your craft. Upon further conversation, I will definitely share mine.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When I write I like to make type-type relationships, it makes the characters seem more alive to the reader. An example is in a story I have written there is an INTJ journeying with an INFP, and then they meet an unhealthy ESFJ that ruins everything for them and causes problems. If you assign a type to a character you can also make them seem more human and not make them seem like an unrealistic personality.

Ulaes

loopy
MBTI Type
crak
Enneagram
sax
reguarding fiction:
my being a visual thinker has an affect on my writing, sometimes it appears to be descriptions of actions seen in a movie or a movie script. but apart from that it's written kind of like crime and punishment, epsecially with focus on the inner thoguhts and stratedgising by the main character. i try ot be very precisie and accurate with my metaohors and descriptions of peoples personalities. since ive uncovered mbti, i use it keep my characters consistent.
my poems usually have an acompanying movie in my mind and are exclusively inspired by emotion - so theyre rare.

litterateur

MBTI Type
ENTP
and then they meet an unhealthy ESFJ that ruins everything for them and causes problems.

I like this. I'm especially intrigued by the idea of types gone too far, (eg., Joker as an extreme ENTP). I notice that one of the types you used in your story is your own, BlackCat. Is this common for you, or would you rather write from another perspective?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I like this. I'm especially intrigued by the idea of types gone too far, (eg., Joker as an extreme ENTP). I notice that one of the types you used in your story is your own, BlackCat. Is this common for you, or would you rather write from another perspective?

It's so much easier for me to write about myself than it is someone else. Plus it seems XNFPs are the main characters for a lot of books, they seem to fit that role for some reason due to the whole Fi thing thing being apparent in their leadership in the book. The other types I am interested in throwing in the mix are:

Extremely healthy ISTJ as a protagonist, with an insane ESTJ as an antagonist (the healthy one and unhealthy one will clash a lot). I choose ISTJ because INFP-INTJ-ISTJ is a good balance between people, and a healthy ISTJ can definitely make things happen and get along with anyone.

I also want to include an ENTP as a protagonist somehow, since INFP-ENTP relations are usually rocky and difficult and that would add an interesting flare to the story. The ENTP would also common sense own the annoying ESFJ.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Too true--I am quite often bothered by Guardians :) I just don't understand their sensibilities.

Precisely. A good book consists of drama, and then when a life threatening conflict arises the people will straighten up and solve the conflict. It works like a charm to hold interest.

What are your characters like?

litterateur

MBTI Type
ENTP
To be precise, I have not yet begun to associate characterization with MBTI. But it is a concept that now completely fascinates me.

At the moment, I am strongly contemplating a relationship between a female NT (as we are none too common) and a male NF, as I am quite fond of NFs in general and feel that it would be an easy persona to recreate from personal interaction. But I must admit that the prospect of an NT/SJ duality (ie., fluctuation) in my female character is intriguing. Thanks for the inspiration!

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No problems, female NT + male NF = steamy romance when in love. :wubbie:

INXX women are always great protagonists, especially when paired with an INXX male. One of my favorite female protagonists in a book was an INFP female fighting for her life and kingdom, whom fell in love with an INTJ man who was an assassin. Was an awesome book. This match IRL also seems like a match made in heaven.

If you study the type relationships then you can create better characters. This is one thing I've gotten out of the many from MBTI.

litterateur

MBTI Type
ENTP
Oh, wouldn't want steamy romance. Ugh. Inner-conflict while dealing with outside forces, however, quite appealing. I will continue to search.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Working as a copywriter, I've practiced economy and literality. I naturally figurate, and enjoy precision through the use of what are often uncommon words.

Mole

Permabanned
As an avid writer, I don't know why this didn't occur to me earlier. And a quick Google search produces little fare on the topic. So, tell me about your craft. Upon further conversation, I will definitely share mine.

With practice writing can become an expression of oneself.

After a while you will discover your own voice; and after a while you will discover your voice has its own style.

And this is just the beginning. Once you discover you have a distinctive voice and style, you may discover you have other voices and styles.

But the first essential step is to discover your own voice and style.

But what is fascinating is those who do not have their own voice and style. What do they do? How do they write? And what do they sound like?

Do they borrow a voice from someone else? Do they mimic? Do they imitate?

Or do they think they simply write down their thoughts and feelings?

Or perhaps they follow the rules of logic.
Or perhaps they follow the rules of an ideology.
Or perhaps they follow the rules of MBTI.

But whatever they do, they follow the rules.

And then they become the rules-police.

I've had the rules-police onto me ever since I joined this site.
Bless their cotton socks.

But I would much prefer a faltering and unsteady voice, a voice that was struggling to be itself, than a self-satisfied, imitation voice.

How I long to hear that cool, clear voice that is really you.

I long to hear the sound of your voice.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
LOL. I used to love Wind and the Willows when I was a kid.

I've never thought about using MBTI to create characters. To me, it seems inauthentic, but then I guess characters follow basic archetypes anyhoo.
My characters seem to have minds of their own, and have their own individual quirks and eccentricities. The ones that I've worked longest with seem almost real to me. Although maybe typing them after their emergence may help with inconsistencies perhaps.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Precisely. A good book consists of drama, and then when a life threatening conflict arises the people will straighten up and solve the conflict. It works like a charm to hold interest.

What are your characters like?

Yes, only put up with certain people for the greater good. Character development? It's because of the plot! Then you get the joy of the writer forgetting certain aspects of a character's personality, or certain details of the plot when writing further into the story. This is actually why I like reading critical reviews of things. They really dissect this stuff.

The depth of the characters is only as believable as the writer's understanding of human personality and emotions, though. But, this is going way far way from MBTI, sort of.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I love to write but I often get caught up in narrative flow and easily get stuck on voice versus precision.

I used to type my characters. For what I'm working on right now, I'd say perhaps I have... an ISFJ, an ESTJ, an INTJ, an ESTP, an ISFP, and an INFP.

Perhaps. I need to write more of it.

Mole

Permabanned
I used to love Wind and the Willows when I was a kid.

I knew you weren't all bad, Firey.

So I know I can confide in you - I want to tell you of my dream - as long as it is just between you and me.

I long for you to read me, "Wind in the Willows".

It is surprisingly easy to do - all you need to do is download Skype for free and type in my Skype name, "shortus", and I can hear the sound of your voice.

Of course you need to open up on your screen, "Wind in the Willows", by clicking on -

The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame: Chapter 1

And you would make my dreams come true.

Victor.

norepinephrine

MBTI Type
INTP
reguarding fiction:
my being a visual thinker has an affect on my writing, sometimes it appears to be descriptions of actions seen in a movie or a movie script. but apart from that it's written kind of like crime and punishment, epsecially with focus on the inner thoguhts and stratedgising by the main character. i try ot be very precisie and accurate with my metaohors and descriptions of peoples personalities. since ive uncovered mbti, i use it keep my characters consistent.
my poems usually have an acompanying movie in my mind and are exclusively inspired by emotion - so theyre rare.

One, two....FIVE

Sorry - Holy Hand Grenade and all.

I haven't tried writing fiction in a very long while. But I naturally gravitate toward either dialogue and little else (because I see it in my mind and fail to describe it) or the internal musings of the protagonist. I'm not sure if that's type related or not - but both the dialogue and internal monologue do take on a movie script quality.

Needless to say, I'm a lousy fiction writer. But I'm an amusing enough anonymous columnist to have had people hunt me down.