User Tag List

12 Last

Default Myers-Briggs and the Writing Craft

As an avid writer, I don't know why this didn't occur to me earlier. And a quick Google search produces little fare on the topic. So, tell me about your craft. Upon further conversation, I will definitely share mine.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

When I write I like to make type-type relationships, it makes the characters seem more alive to the reader. An example is in a story I have written there is an INTJ journeying with an INFP, and then they meet an unhealthy ESFJ that ruins everything for them and causes problems. If you assign a type to a character you can also make them seem more human and not make them seem like an unrealistic personality.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    crak
    Enneagram
    sax
    Socionics
    adhd

reguarding fiction:
    my being a visual thinker has an affect on my writing, sometimes it appears to be descriptions of actions seen in a movie or a movie script. but apart from that it's written kind of like crime and punishment, epsecially with focus on the inner thoguhts and stratedgising by the main character. i try ot be very precisie and accurate with my metaohors and descriptions of peoples personalities. since ive uncovered mbti, i use it keep my characters consistent.
    my poems usually have an acompanying movie in my mind and are exclusively inspired by emotion - so theyre rare.

and then they meet an unhealthy ESFJ that ruins everything for them and causes problems.
    I like this. I'm especially intrigued by the idea of types gone too far, (eg., Joker as an extreme ENTP). I notice that one of the types you used in your story is your own, BlackCat. Is this common for you, or would you rather write from another perspective?

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by litterateur View Post
    I like this. I'm especially intrigued by the idea of types gone too far, (eg., Joker as an extreme ENTP). I notice that one of the types you used in your story is your own, BlackCat. Is this common for you, or would you rather write from another perspective?
    It's so much easier for me to write about myself than it is someone else. Plus it seems XNFPs are the main characters for a lot of books, they seem to fit that role for some reason due to the whole Fi thing thing being apparent in their leadership in the book. The other types I am interested in throwing in the mix are:

Extremely healthy ISTJ as a protagonist, with an insane ESTJ as an antagonist (the healthy one and unhealthy one will clash a lot). I choose ISTJ because INFP-INTJ-ISTJ is a good balance between people, and a healthy ISTJ can definitely make things happen and get along with anyone.

I also want to include an ENTP as a protagonist somehow, since INFP-ENTP relations are usually rocky and difficult and that would add an interesting flare to the story. The ENTP would also common sense own the annoying ESFJ.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

The ENTP would also common sense own the annoying ESFJ.
    Too true--I am quite often bothered by Guardians I just don't understand their sensibilities.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by litterateur View Post
    Too true--I am quite often bothered by Guardians I just don't understand their sensibilities.
    Precisely. A good book consists of drama, and then when a life threatening conflict arises the people will straighten up and solve the conflict. It works like a charm to hold interest.

What are your characters like?
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

To be precise, I have not yet begun to associate characterization with MBTI. But it is a concept that now completely fascinates me.

At the moment, I am strongly contemplating a relationship between a female NT (as we are none too common) and a male NF, as I am quite fond of NFs in general and feel that it would be an easy persona to recreate from personal interaction. But I must admit that the prospect of an NT/SJ duality (ie., fluctuation) in my female character is intriguing. Thanks for the inspiration!

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

No problems, female NT + male NF = steamy romance when in love.

INXX women are always great protagonists, especially when paired with an INXX male. One of my favorite female protagonists in a book was an INFP female fighting for her life and kingdom, whom fell in love with an INTJ man who was an assassin. Was an awesome book. This match IRL also seems like a match made in heaven.

If you study the type relationships then you can create better characters. This is one thing I've gotten out of the many from MBTI.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

Oh, wouldn't want steamy romance. Ugh. Inner-conflict while dealing with outside forces, however, quite appealing. I will continue to search.