User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ENFj

Default Help me pick a career

Ok so I am 23 and for the past 3-4 years I have been doing IT Destop Support. The issue is that I don't see a future for me in that field. I guess my skills are about average in the field and I just don't have the interest that I wish I had to further purse it. I never really finished college because I couldn't afford it and after one job to another I managed to end up doing IT support but now I want to go back and finish/start over but I am having a hard time just picking a major. I don't want to play around, I want to find a area that I can be good at, enjoy it and make enough cash at. So basically I need suggestions from you fine people.
    ENFJ 3W4

If you read this I am sorry to say that you just lost 5 seconds of your life that you wont be getting back.*

*Actual time may vary.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Would need to know more about your interests and other activities that you enjoy in order to set you in a good direction.

MBTI
    ISFJ

I don't know about America but around here computer engineering is still a sure-fire way to make good money with minimal required expertise (the majors overeducate you for the reality of the corporate scene;maybe it's like that everywhere, I dunno).

But I urge you to consider doing something that you actually like doing. I chose this major for pragmatic reasons and now I'm having a hard time finishing it. Not because it's that hard, but because, on top of being lazy, I hate most subjects. If it were today, I'd probably go to art school or something. Dunno.

MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by The Third Rider View Post
    Ok so I am 23 and for the past 3-4 years I have been doing IT Destop Support. The issue is that I don't see a future for me in that field. I guess my skills are about average in the field and I just don't have the interest that I wish I had to further purse it. I never really finished college because I couldn't afford it and after one job to another I managed to end up doing IT support but now I want to go back and finish/start over but I am having a hard time just picking a major. I don't want to play around, I want to find a area that I can be good at, enjoy it and make enough cash at. So basically I need suggestions from you fine people.
    If you are into computers and are up to the challenge, maybe you would be interested in a career working on military intelligence? I don't know much about it or what the requirements are, but just a suggestion.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I see you like swords.

Have you ever considered a career in the lucrative field of pet grooming?

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Third Rider, you are young enough that focusing on learning different skills that you'll be able to use in any career is likely a good start. What do you enjoy? What would you like to learn about?

If you are going back to a 4 year college degree, there is no harm in picking a major that will allow you to focus on important skills, and as you fine tune your career choices, switch your major.

MBTI
    istp

what are some memorable activities you enjoyed as a kid and why do they seem notable to you?

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

E- something where you're around others. N- something fun, which no job provides. NF- be around animals maybe. Pilot a hoarse drawn carriage? Seriously, doing something vaguely parallel. J- no clue over here but perhaps organizing atire prior to attending work. i got it. care and maintnance of the bomb sniffing dogs in Iraq under a civilian contract. Your F compells me to state that this is not a bunch of bs. That occupation recomendation is ONLY something like a guide. It is by no means litteral

MBTI
    ENFj

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Would need to know more about your interests and other activities that you enjoy in order to set you in a good direction.
    Thats the thing, I don't see how any of the things that I do can possibly help me get a career. Anyways here it is:

-Sports
    -Excersice/Gym
    -Music
    -Video Games
    -Movies
    -Reading
    -hanging out?

Well, me and some friends have tried to do a BUNCH of stuff on the side as well. We did some photography, modeling/Promoting, even DJed at Club but I recently found out that I am extremely senstive to loud noises so I stopped. There were many other things but it seems like we werent anywhere so I just decided to finish a career instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    I don't know about America but around here computer engineering is still a sure-fire way to make good money with minimal required expertise (the majors overeducate you for the reality of the corporate scene;maybe it's like that everywhere, I dunno).

But I urge you to consider doing something that you actually like doing. I chose this major for pragmatic reasons and now I'm having a hard time finishing it. Not because it's that hard, but because, on top of being lazy, I hate most subjects. If it were today, I'd probably go to art school or something. Dunno.
    Thats the thing, i am trying to find a well balanced job/career, I want to enjoy it or the very least not hate it, but I want it to pay well which is my main concern and be on a decent demand for my services. I know too many people that have gone on to college, get a degree and do nothing related to what they studied and pay loads of maney for.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    I see you like swords.

Have you ever considered a career in the lucrative field of pet grooming?
    I am not into swords, I just so happens that the Ava came with swords, they were included in the package.

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    Third Rider, you are young enough that focusing on learning different skills that you'll be able to use in any career is likely a good start. What do you enjoy? What would you like to learn about?

If you are going back to a 4 year college degree, there is no harm in picking a major that will allow you to focus on important skills, and as you fine tune your career choices, switch your major.
    The thing is that I want to go in and just not waste my time. I don't want to be changing my major every other semester, that is a waste of both time and money. My plan is to enroll sometime this year and do the mandatory classes first and by then I hope to have a major in mind.
    ENFJ 3W4

If you read this I am sorry to say that you just lost 5 seconds of your life that you wont be getting back.*

*Actual time may vary.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I would go back and read the type description for ENFJ's. Really think about the description and the strengths of ENFJ's. Then go down the list of career recommendations and consider the pros and cons of each one. Here is the list from Careers for ENFJ Personality Types :

* Facilitator
    * Consultant
    * Psychologist
    * Social Worker / Counselor
    * Teacher
    * Clergy
    * Sales Representative
    * Human Resources
    * Manager
    * Events Coordinator
    * Sales Representative
    * Politicians / Diplomats