User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 20

  1. #1
    Guerilla Urbanist Brendan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    911

    Default The Origins of Apathy in Students of Poor Communities

    Deviated from: Pelosi calls for birth control to stimulate the conomy (eugenics?)

    Quote Originally Posted by laintpe View Post
    [...]I'm am for birth control, mostly because I think people are stupid and can't control their impulses long enough to think about the consequences, but is it really going to make that much of a difference...? now, this is where quite a few of you are going to get upset... Given the various "low income" schools I'm acquainted with, I do not think that adding a child to the picture would end the educational aspirations for most of those teenagers.. because most of them could care less about school in the first place. Sure, a child would not help, but to blame a pregnancy for destroying their futures... please. When the average in an algebra class is 30% because students are turning in their tests blank, not doing their homework, showing up to class two days a week, giving the teacher false phone numbers in the hopes that their parents can't be reached (when they are reached, it's not like much of a difference is made, anyway).. saying things in class like "I don't need math or school, I can just sell drugs"... the problem lies with those kids and the values and self discipline they lack (let's not deviate into a debate over the origins of that apathy)[...].
    But you opened the door.

    What do you feel are the origins of the aforementioned apathy?
    There is no such thing as separation from God.

  2. #2
    rawr Costrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII
    Posts
    2,320

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    Deviated from: Pelosi calls for birth control to stimulate the conomy (eugenics?)


    But you opened the door.

    What do you feel are the origins of the aforementioned apathy?
    I didn't read the thread in question, however reading just the quote, I would think that the reason is because they don't think they can escape. They don't think there is a chance of escaping such a lifestyle, so they don't even try.

  3. #3
    Guerilla Urbanist Brendan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    911

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Costrin View Post
    I didn't read the thread in question, however reading just the quote, I would think that the reason is because they don't think they can escape. They don't think there is a chance of escaping such a lifestyle, so they don't even try.
    I feel they're trapped by a system that doesn't represent them.
    There is no such thing as separation from God.

  4. #4
    rawr Costrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII
    Posts
    2,320

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    I feel they're trapped by a system that doesn't represent them.
    That would seem to be part of the problem. The system doesn't help them, doesn't even try from their point of view (which people may disagree with, but it's not their perspective that matters, it's the student's perspective), so they say "screw you" to the system and don't participate any more than they are forced to.

  5. #5
    Guerilla Urbanist Brendan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    911

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Costrin View Post
    That would seem to be part of the problem. The system doesn't help them, doesn't even try from their point of view (which people may disagree with, but it's not their perspective that matters, it's the student's perspective), so they say "screw you" to the system and don't participate any more than they are forced to.
    They feel people don't care because people don't generally act as if they care.
    There is no such thing as separation from God.

  6. #6
    rawr Costrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII
    Posts
    2,320

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    They feel people don't care because people don't generally act as if they care.
    I agree. The question is then, what do we do about it?

  7. #7
    Guerilla Urbanist Brendan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    911

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Costrin View Post
    I agree. The question is then, what do we do about it?
    I don't know. I'm reading The Autobiography of Malcolm X, and I've been asking myself what the "white man" can do.

    Then I read this passage:

    I never will forget one little blonde co-ed after I had spoken at her New England college. She must have caught the next plane behind that one I took to New York. She found the Muslim restaurant in Harlem. I just happened to be there when she came in. Her clothes, her carriage, her accent, all showed Deep South white breeding and money. At that college, I told how the ante-bellum white slavemaster even devilishly manipulated his own woman. He convinced her that she was "too pure" for his base "animal instincts." With his "noble" ruse, he conned his own wife to look away from his obvious preference for the "animal" black woman. So the "delicate mistress" sat and watched the plantation's little mongrel-complexioned children, sired obviously by her father, her husband, her brothers, her sons. I said at that college that the guilt of American whites included their knowledge that in hating Negroes, they were hating, they were rejecting, they were denying, their own blood.

    Anyway, I'd never seen anyone I ever spoke before more affected than this little white college girl. She demanded right up in my face, "Don't you believe there are any good white people?" I didn't want to hurt her feelings. I told her, "People's deeds I believe in, Miss--not their words."

    "What can I do?" she exclaimed. I told her, "Nothing."
    There is no such thing as separation from God.

  8. #8
    Senior Member lowtech redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    I feel they're trapped by a system that doesn't represent them.
    What "system" is that?

    Generally such apathy can be traced to a combination of parents who don't know how to raise their children with the characteristics needed to succeed in a post-industrial, information economy, and a sub-culture which devalues or even scorns norms and practices that encourage children to gradually develop such characteristics through socialization and habituation.

  9. #9
    Guerilla Urbanist Brendan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    911

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    What "system" is that?

    Generally such apathy can be traced to a combination of parents who don't know how to raise their children with the characteristics needed to succeed in a post-industrial, information economy, and a sub-culture which devalues or even scorns norms and practices that encourage children to gradually develop such characteristics through socialization and habituation.
    Which parents, what sub-culture are those?
    There is no such thing as separation from God.

  10. #10
    Senior Member lowtech redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    I don't know. I'm reading The Autobiography of Malcolm X, and I've been asking myself what the "white man" can do.
    In terms of poor black communities as a specific subset of the problem, the Malcolm X autobiography is unlikely to provide many answers; the stagnation of class mobility among black Americans and the breakdown of the black family can be traced to the early seventies.

Similar Threads

  1. The origins of God and Religion
    By guesswho in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-26-2012, 06:44 PM
  2. The origin of laziness
    By Moiety in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-27-2010, 11:35 AM
  3. Taking Communism away from the Communists: The Origins of Modern American Liberalism
    By Sniffles in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-15-2009, 01:12 PM
  4. Breakthrough - Key to the Origin of Life
    By Qre:us in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-25-2009, 11:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO