User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Oh sh!t...

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Red face Oh sh!t...

I got a new job with better pay and benefits, and it starts tommorrow.

Problem is, I'm scheduled with my old job tommorrow as well... I'll admit- it's my own fault, as I said that I was available immediatly, not expecting to start until next week at earliest, but this isn't cool nonetheless.

I left work early today running a fever, so I could call in sick and then resign later, but I'm still a bit concerned about not pissing people off unnecissarily.

What should I do?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post

Problem is, I'm scheduled with my old job tommorrow as well... I'll admit- it's my own fault, as I said that I was available immediatly, not expecting to start until next week at earliest, but this isn't cool nonetheless.

I left work early today running a fever, so I could call in sick and then resign later, but I'm still a bit concerned about not pissing people off unnecissarily.

What should I do?
    What you were going to do. You want the new job, right? Surely you're not going to put avoiding angering the people at your old job above that?

You can either resign your old job or keep making up excuses to avoid work while you're at your new job.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I'm off Friday, and it will perhaps look better if I resign then so that it won't look like I went out and got hired and played "sick" today... and I don't want for future employers to ask for a reference there and have my boss still mad at me (she's somewhat vindictive, especially since I'll be the 3rd employee to quit in a week )

Then again, I'll feel bad about calling in tommorrow because they'll be short a person, even though we've been so slow this month that people keep getting sent home after a few hours at work.
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Congrats and oops

It's best to be up-front and honest about it now while you have the chance, they prolly won't like it but it's better than having them finding out later that you lied, who knows they may be more accepting than you expect, at the least it shows more respect than pulling a sicky and quitting later. Anyway what are they going to do if they are really pissed? Fire you? It's not like they can force you to stay.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

^ true

I'm kinna an idiot sometimes I fear...

MBTI
    INtP

- that's great news!

What should I do?
    Ouch . Sort of a rough situation... other than tomorrow, how much do the schedules conflict? I guess what I'm trying to ask is if it's possible to go to the new job tomorrow, then spend some of your new-job-days-off trying to help the old job people get settled after you resign? I don't know - there may not be a good way out - but all you can do is try. Have you committed to starting the new job tomorrow? I know they expected that you were available "immediately"... but maybe you can "take a day to get things in order" or something like that? One day to wrap up at the old place may not make any difference... I don't know, but might be an option? But maybe just a clean break is the best you can do... old-employer's probably not going to be happy no matter what. Reading back on this, I'm afraid I'm not much help...

Not a fun situation... but congratulations on the new job anyway
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

^ true

I'm kinna an idiot sometimes I fear...
    Id prolly do the same thing

All I know is from an employers point of view I prefer my staff to tell the truth if they were quitting even if its not what I want to hear, means I can move on quicker and start looking at replacing them.

In regards to the new job I wouldn't stuff them around at all, if you've indicated you can start immediately that's what you should do.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

yeah- the problem's not in quitting or anything, since there are some people who can and will very happily take my hours at a moment's notice- it's that my boss is kind of, um... bitchy, and she's been in a bad mood for the past few days

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

yeah- the problem's not in quitting or anything, since there are some people who can and will very happily take my hours at a moment's notice- it's that my boss is kind of, um... bitchy, and she's been in a bad mood for the past few days
    So what's holding you back - Guilt, fear, intimidation, just not wanting to deal with it? The sooner you do it the sooner that feeling dissipates and bitchy boss lady has to deal with it while you can concentrate on being happy about your new opportunity.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

akc.. now how to phrase an e-mail to her telling her that I have a new job, but wouldn't mind working a day a month or so still at the winery because I actually liked that job but couldn't live on the pay

Dear ___,

I just got a call today telling me that I'm hired for a job that I had applied for and interviewed several months ago. The pay and benefits are both nice, but the job starts tommorrow. I hate to tell you at such a late notice, as I'd enjoy staying with ___ and working an occasional Sunday, but I don't really see another option, as I couldn't delay the training.

I'm sorry again, I hope that you understand that with the cutbacks in hours for the winter that I need to be able to earn enough to pay my rent and bills I am sort of cornered here. I feel bad about springing this on you at such a short notice and hope that you understand.

Thank you,
    whatever