First 4567 Last

MBTI
    nnja
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry LaLa View Post
    Call me a bitter ex-journo, but it's been my experience that almost no one -- NO ONE -- knows where to put apostrophes or how to spell correctly or how to write coherently -- and no one cares. I don't think writing is as valued as society as it should be -- sad!
    I have to agree here, as much as I usually stifle the urge to say anything...

Sadly, I have to agree here, as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry LaLa View Post
    But a typo or a poorly written paragraph probably won't bring down a company, where a math error could.
    In response to the OP, I think it depends on the intended use. For example, math is generally useless when attempting to create interpersonal relationships.
    "Don�t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive." - Howard Thurman

[SIGPIC]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l110/evillinclinations/fortune45.gif[/SIGPIC]

...and yes, I'm still on about that...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by untypable View Post
    Writing or Math. You can only choose one.
    WRATH

/thread

Math. The ability to use modelling or stats can be applied to any situation to better understand it.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    Si
    Socionics
    ESTP

Lol, It depends on the situation. If you're a maths researcher at university, then you'll need maths. If you're a grammar teacher, then writing is better. Imo you better go with maths. With english you dont need any course to improve. With the increasing globalization and available english literature, you can learn english without having to go through a course, there is tons of self-learning material you can find on the internet or buy. Studying english would only serve you as merit. There are lots of examples of fluent and expert writers in english who did not study nor have a degree, yet they surpass those who do.
    "Where can you flee? What road will you use to escape us? Our horses are swift, our arrows sharp, our swords like thunderbolts, our hearts as hard as the mountains, our soldiers as numerous as the sand. Fortresses will not detain us, nor arms stop us. Your prayers to God will not avail against us. We are not moved by tears nor touched by lamentations."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    LoL

I don't define writing as the art of grammar. I define it as the art of story-telling and creating meaning. You can't get to the stars without math; without writing there's no reason to go...

"How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGeq5v7L3WM

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    Si
    Socionics
    ESTP

Quote Originally Posted by speculative View Post
    I don't define writing as the art of grammar. I define it as the art of story-telling and creating meaning. You can't get to the stars without math; without writing there's no reason to go...

You got a point SPecs, however maths is far harder to learn, and he can always compensate his lack formal education in english by reading literature and self-educating himself.
    "Where can you flee? What road will you use to escape us? Our horses are swift, our arrows sharp, our swords like thunderbolts, our hearts as hard as the mountains, our soldiers as numerous as the sand. Fortresses will not detain us, nor arms stop us. Your prayers to God will not avail against us. We are not moved by tears nor touched by lamentations."

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9/5?

Writing, much to my dismay. I would have said math most of my life (most of 24 years, that is... "most of my life" makes it sound like I'm older) and I definitely prefer math and am better at it, but I'm definitely going with writing.
    "There are no answers, only choices."
    -Jennifer

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

It would be writing. It's maths auxilery. 2=two, +=plus, ==equals, ect.
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

Society

if you are asking in absolute terms - let's say if you had a head injury and had to choose between your ability to to do any form of math and your ability to do any form of writing - then i'd have to pick writing as the more useful skills.

if we are talking about the higher end, in a situation where you have the basics of both, than math becomes more useful.

if we are talking as a society, then writing wins again. all the conclusions we can use math to reach aren't worth shit if we can't accumulate the knowledge.

p.s.
    for the smartass who'll include computations under math:

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Numbers put measures on things, whereas words expand and can take on multiple dimensions, thereby rendering words vastly superior!