• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ideas for part time jobs that involve little social interaction?

DigitalMethod

Content. Content?
MBTI Type
INTJ
So yeah it would be nice to have a job. I feel stagnation and it's annoying. Also the cash would be really nice to have.

I only go to college Tuesdays and Thursdays all day. So I have five days off a week.. which doesn't help with the stagnation feeling.

I do really well in school, 3.7. I'm still in high school though so I don't have a diploma. But my guess is the employer would probably like how I'm in college and high school...

It doesn't even have to be part time I'd probably be willing to work 30 hours a week, I just said part time because I assume nothing above the rank of "fast food" or "check-out boy" would hire me with my age (17). I'm pretty qualified though I think.

Oh and I don't think I'd go for a job that involves the majority of the working hours doing service. Gah social interaction. :( Sure I could get cash, but the stress from it just wouldn't be worth it.

So any ideas..? :thinking:

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
Some kind of administrative/clerical or data-entry job? I got one out of high school (though I had connections lol) but college age is probably appropriate. Pretty easy job, limited social interaction, sitting at a computer all day basically, and better paying than a grocery store worker.

DigitalMethod

Content. Content?
MBTI Type
INTJ
Oh that is a good idea.
I'm not sure if they have that around here though... I'll keep it in my mind.
I forgot to mention in the OP. I live in the suburbs (hell).

Hmm one idea I had was, the guy that cleans up movie theaters after movies.
I would prefer that to selling tickets, talking to people (hmm I would rather deal with trash than people, this is enlightening..)

But yes, any other ideas anyone?

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
Oh yea I didn't think about that, the area... I realise I do work downtown
I guess cleaning up in a movie theatre could work...
Maybe a bookstore or library or something. Just cuz that sounds like the kind of place where it's meant to be quiet and less socializing.
I'm not sure. Just... avoid the mall probably.

Owl

desert pelican
MBTI Type
INTP
Night clerk at a hotel. The pay isn't great, but there's next to no social interaction, and, if you get hired at the right place, you get hours to study.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I work as a translator. Involves zero social interaction. But perhaps it's not very easy to find as a job.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
Become a Security Guard for an office building/downtown highrise building..... you get to put on the cold, emotionless face of NT-ness and fraternizing with clients is usually frowned upon. Plus, some sites/shifts allow you to study while getting paid. Best 2 birds I've ever killed with 1 stone was working at a defense contractor for 3 years. Made over 10/hour to study/read all night and take cat naps. If you like third shifts (you won't talk to anyone for hours at a time), this job is awesome as a student.

Willfrey

MBTI Type
IsTP
I was a shipping cleark for a company for a while, where I simply packaged things for transport and took care of all the shipping details. Never had to deal with really anybody unless there was a problem.

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
I recommend you to find a local company (small to medium sized - preferably family-run).

Offer to work for free (part-time, of course) for a month and if they're happy with your work they keep you on. If not you'll go (no obligations).

Even if you aren't up to scratch, they'll most probably slip you a few quid for your efforts. Although I'm sure you are up to scratch.

A friend got a job in a bike shop - fixing them out the back. Little social interaction; seemed to like it.

SilentStream

MBTI Type
INTP
So yeah it would be nice to have a job. I feel stagnation and it's annoying. Also the cash would be really nice to have.

I only go to college Tuesdays and Thursdays all day. So I have five days off a week.. which doesn't help with the stagnation feeling.

I do really well in school, 3.7. I'm still in high school though so I don't have a diploma. But my guess is the employer would probably like how I'm in college and high school...

It doesn't even have to be part time I'd probably be willing to work 30 hours a week, I just said part time because I assume nothing above the rank of "fast food" or "check-out boy" would hire me with my age (17). I'm pretty qualified though I think.

Oh and I don't think I'd go for a job that involves the majority of the working hours doing service. Gah social interaction. :( Sure I could get cash, but the stress from it just wouldn't be worth it.

I've got the exact same problem as you. I've been looking for a non-contact part-time job for ages because I'm going to university this year, but it is almost impossible to find when you live in the suburbs. I used to work part-time as a Dental Nurse - but that was hell. So at the moment the best job I could find that didn't involve social contact is to get a letterbox 'junkmail'/brochure delivery round. It doesn't pay much but I enjoy the exercise and the mindless repetitive work that allows my mind to do what it wants to. A boring clerical 'behind the scenes' job sounds promising though. How about being some sort of courier? Or you could be a cleaner, or perhaps you could do night-time stock-take sort of work at the local supermarket.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
I've got the exact same problem as you. I've been looking for a non-contact part-time job for ages because I'm going to university this year, but it is almost impossible to find when you live in the suburbs. I used to work part-time as a Dental Nurse - but that was hell. So at the moment the best job I could find that didn't involve social contact is to get a letterbox 'junkmail'/brochure delivery round. It doesn't pay much but I enjoy the exercise and the mindless repetitive work that allows my mind to do what it wants to. A boring clerical 'behind the scenes' job sounds promising though. How about being some sort of courier? Or you could be a cleaner, or perhaps you could do night-time stock-take sort of work at the local supermarket.

Seriously guys, try being a Security Officer. It's perfect for what you want

SilentStream

MBTI Type
INTP
Seriously guys, try being a Security Officer. It's perfect for what you want

I don't think anyone is ever going to hire me for a job like that. I'm 20 yrs old, female and rather too small to look tough. But I wish I could, sounds perfect.

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
My INTJ ex worked as a guard in his early college years (the ones that watch the front gates of private homes). I think 18 was the minimum age..

For him, he really liked the fact that:
1. Not only did it require little interaction.. (other than a hello & goodbye wave to the residence)
2. He got to sit there & do his homework..

It paid him well. He worked in the rich residential area though.. That's a thought..

groovejet02

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
It's really hard to get a satisfying part-time job when you're still studying for a degree. I did part-time work in retail and I was annoyed. Plus, the pay was crap. Try freelancing? Possible options include writing, editing, translating, web design, etc depending on skill. Has anyone tried Elance?

alicia91

Two of my sisters work as security guards. One is 5' and about 100 pounds the other is 5'2" and 105. I don't think size is much of an issue since they get a lot of training. They both like the job, for one it brings in money while she works on her freelance writing the other is waiting to get into the police academy.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Why don't you try working for yourself? Have you ever thought of cleaning houses? I'm not kidding. I used to clean houses for extra cash, I stopped waiting tables because of house cleaning as a matter of fact. Why?

Put in 6 hours at a restaurant and you get a completely random take home amount of cash depending on who sat in your section. Put in 6 hours of cleaning houses and you walk off with about $100-$120 (I charged $50 for a 3 bedroom/$60 for a 4 bedroom IF THEY WERE KEPT IN ORDER BETWEEN CLEANINGS) and you didn't work too hard.

Most of my clients left the place when I was there so I just rocked out on the house stereo and cleaned the place up. If you have a new client, and their place is in disarray, charge them $150 to clean it up real good the first time, and make it clear that you need them to maintain that as much as possible if the price for bi-weekly maintenance is going to remain at $50-$60.

You'll get to the point where you spend less than 3 hours on a house. Start with the bathrooms, do them up right, don't forget to dust, clean up the kitchen, vaccuum, mop the tile/wood, and you're out of there!

It's good experience to drum up your own business, you will get referrals if you do one client's place well, and you don't have to deal with cashing out lazy bus boys or other staff.

:D

groovejet02

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Nice recommendation, Halla74 :)

I think the major reason why people aren't so enthusiastic of cleaning houses is because of their pride. Which is a shame because of the money one can make doing this, as you pointed out. Someone once said that no job is too low for anyone. One of the best advices I've ever heard :D

sunset5678

MBTI Type
XNTJ
I prefer jobs with social interaction, but where its doing group jobs or projects. As long
as its focused to a point.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I worked as a receptionist/switchboard operator in a mental hospital on the night shift while I was in college. I could study all night and there was no one to bother me except the occasional admission, which could be alarming, but mostly it was extremely quiet.