User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalMethod View Post
    So yeah it would be nice to have a job. I feel stagnation and it's annoying. Also the cash would be really nice to have.

I only go to college Tuesdays and Thursdays all day. So I have five days off a week.. which doesn't help with the stagnation feeling.

I do really well in school, 3.7. I'm still in high school though so I don't have a diploma. But my guess is the employer would probably like how I'm in college and high school...

It doesn't even have to be part time I'd probably be willing to work 30 hours a week, I just said part time because I assume nothing above the rank of "fast food" or "check-out boy" would hire me with my age (17). I'm pretty qualified though I think.

Oh and I don't think I'd go for a job that involves the majority of the working hours doing service. Gah social interaction. Sure I could get cash, but the stress from it just wouldn't be worth it.

So any ideas..?

I've got the exact same problem as you. I've been looking for a non-contact part-time job for ages because I'm going to university this year, but it is almost impossible to find when you live in the suburbs. I used to work part-time as a Dental Nurse - but that was hell. So at the moment the best job I could find that didn't involve social contact is to get a letterbox 'junkmail'/brochure delivery round. It doesn't pay much but I enjoy the exercise and the mindless repetitive work that allows my mind to do what it wants to. A boring clerical 'behind the scenes' job sounds promising though. How about being some sort of courier? Or you could be a cleaner, or perhaps you could do night-time stock-take sort of work at the local supermarket.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Quote Originally Posted by SilentStream View Post
    I've got the exact same problem as you. I've been looking for a non-contact part-time job for ages because I'm going to university this year, but it is almost impossible to find when you live in the suburbs. I used to work part-time as a Dental Nurse - but that was hell. So at the moment the best job I could find that didn't involve social contact is to get a letterbox 'junkmail'/brochure delivery round. It doesn't pay much but I enjoy the exercise and the mindless repetitive work that allows my mind to do what it wants to. A boring clerical 'behind the scenes' job sounds promising though. How about being some sort of courier? Or you could be a cleaner, or perhaps you could do night-time stock-take sort of work at the local supermarket.
    Seriously guys, try being a Security Officer. It's perfect for what you want

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    Seriously guys, try being a Security Officer. It's perfect for what you want
    I don't think anyone is ever going to hire me for a job like that. I'm 20 yrs old, female and rather too small to look tough. But I wish I could, sounds perfect.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4, 7
    Socionics
    IEE

My INTJ ex worked as a guard in his early college years (the ones that watch the front gates of private homes). I think 18 was the minimum age..

For him, he really liked the fact that:
    1. Not only did it require little interaction.. (other than a hello & goodbye wave to the residence)
    2. He got to sit there & do his homework..

It paid him well. He worked in the rich residential area though.. That's a thought..

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

It's really hard to get a satisfying part-time job when you're still studying for a degree. I did part-time work in retail and I was annoyed. Plus, the pay was crap. Try freelancing? Possible options include writing, editing, translating, web design, etc depending on skill. Has anyone tried Elance?

Two of my sisters work as security guards. One is 5' and about 100 pounds the other is 5'2" and 105. I don't think size is much of an issue since they get a lot of training. They both like the job, for one it brings in money while she works on her freelance writing the other is waiting to get into the police academy.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalMethod View Post
    So yeah it would be nice to have a job. I feel stagnation and it's annoying. Also the cash would be really nice to have.

I only go to college Tuesdays and Thursdays all day. So I have five days off a week.. which doesn't help with the stagnation feeling.

I do really well in school, 3.7. I'm still in high school though so I don't have a diploma. But my guess is the employer would probably like how I'm in college and high school...

It doesn't even have to be part time I'd probably be willing to work 30 hours a week, I just said part time because I assume nothing above the rank of "fast food" or "check-out boy" would hire me with my age (17). I'm pretty qualified though I think.

Oh and I don't think I'd go for a job that involves the majority of the working hours doing service. Gah social interaction. Sure I could get cash, but the stress from it just wouldn't be worth it.

So any ideas..?
    Why don't you try working for yourself? Have you ever thought of cleaning houses? I'm not kidding. I used to clean houses for extra cash, I stopped waiting tables because of house cleaning as a matter of fact. Why?

Put in 6 hours at a restaurant and you get a completely random take home amount of cash depending on who sat in your section. Put in 6 hours of cleaning houses and you walk off with about $100-$120 (I charged $50 for a 3 bedroom/$60 for a 4 bedroom IF THEY WERE KEPT IN ORDER BETWEEN CLEANINGS) and you didn't work too hard.

Most of my clients left the place when I was there so I just rocked out on the house stereo and cleaned the place up. If you have a new client, and their place is in disarray, charge them $150 to clean it up real good the first time, and make it clear that you need them to maintain that as much as possible if the price for bi-weekly maintenance is going to remain at $50-$60.

You'll get to the point where you spend less than 3 hours on a house. Start with the bathrooms, do them up right, don't forget to dust, clean up the kitchen, vaccuum, mop the tile/wood, and you're out of there!

It's good experience to drum up your own business, you will get referrals if you do one client's place well, and you don't have to deal with cashing out lazy bus boys or other staff.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Nice recommendation, Halla74

I think the major reason why people aren't so enthusiastic of cleaning houses is because of their pride. Which is a shame because of the money one can make doing this, as you pointed out. Someone once said that no job is too low for anyone. One of the best advices I've ever heard

MBTI
    XNTJ

I prefer jobs with social interaction, but where its doing group jobs or projects. As long
    as its focused to a point.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I worked as a receptionist/switchboard operator in a mental hospital on the night shift while I was in college. I could study all night and there was no one to bother me except the occasional admission, which could be alarming, but mostly it was extremely quiet.