INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTp

Default Handwriting & Cursive Fading?

CBS News: Penmanship

Thoughts anyone?

I personally think handwriting is a mode of communication that transmits a lot of deep information subconsciously. I recently signed up on a forum of which I'm a member to the snail mail exchange program and found a pen pal. After receiving my first letter, I thought to myself, "Gee, this is fun!" The person who sent me the letter used pink stationary, matching letter card and envelope, and used red cherry ink (gradient medium-dark red ink) from a nibbed fountain pen. Needless to say, after reading it, I stored the letter in my drawer. I've already read the thing several times just to absorb the meaning from it.

Forms of contact like e-mail and instant messaging, to me, seem more transient. Perhaps it's possible to make a deep connection with another person online if you're intuitive enough (note: not MBTI iNtuition), but there still seems to be something of a person's character that bleeds through in a note that's sent by the post. Not only do you have the color of ink that they choose, but their handwriting, the type of paper they write it on, and so forth.

I really feel that communication is gaining a lot of bandwidth at the price of depth. There's only so much information that can be exchanged over a telephone call: for detail, writing is a must. Also, I really feel a deeper connection with my subject and I actually take time to think and parse my words when I'm writing on paper, versus at a keyboard. If a person knew that it took time to write something, perhaps they'd think twice before writing something they didn't really want to say.

God help them all if they don't have access to a computer keyboard or a cell phone 24/7. (Actually, most of them have the latter at all times.)

I think modern culture is having its effect. I recently read an accepted thesis that had many instances of the simple grammatical error of not capitalizing the personal pronoun "I."

Sniffles

They keep saying this every year or so. There's always going to be handwriting of some kind.

Arcesso pulli gingerios! Eldanen's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    They keep saying this every year or so. There's always going to be handwriting of some kind.
    True. The question is whether or not it'll be any good. In 8th grade English I often turned in assignments where the teacher called me up to her desk a few moments later asking me to tell her what I wrote. I usually replied with, "I have no idea."

I remember commenting once on a History teacher's handwriting, that I thought that it looked nice, and she told me that she and her classmates would often sit and copy one letter over and over taking up several sheets of paper to increase their letter-drawing skill.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Eldanen View Post
    True. The question is whether or not it'll be any good. In 8th grade English I often turned in assignments where the teacher called me up to her desk a few moments later asking me to tell her what I wrote. I usually replied with, "I have no idea."
    Touche. I often have trouble reading my own handwriting, since I write in a weird mix of cursive/printing.

A great sense of balance needs to be instilled in kids. Yes computers are great, but one has to also know how to operate without them as well. A big part of my life as a young person has been to trying to discover that balance.

Kids don't know what they're missing really.

MBTI
    INFP

Many of the rules of good grammar have been discarded as the sheer force of ignorance of language as an art form has flooded our culture.

I have old family letters from the eighteen hundreds and even the laborers in the family wrote beautifully, both in content and in hand-writing style.

I doubt, that given the present state of education in this country we can afford to devote much time to teaching handwriting skills. The preference now is given to the most expedient methods.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTp

I seem to remember a scene in a movie that I watched a long time ago, or perhaps it was a scene from 1984 I visualized where the common people had to dictate what they wanted to remember into a machine. None of them knew how to write. (Or read for that matter, so it's only partially related.) Please forgive the reference to 1984. I'm not making a political statement here. It's just something I remembered.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I hope handwriting does go out the window. It takes more time than typing and has no advantage over it. It's a waste of time, energy, and material.

I personally can't write in cursive. I refused to learn it, telling my mother when I was 7 "Handwriting is going to be obsolete. Why should I waste my time learning that when I can type on a computer?" She accepted that logic, and to this day I've gotten by just using print or typing on a computer. And she admits now, that things do sure enough seem to be going in that direction. Don't get me wrong, my print is quite legible... I just don't see the need to use a pen any more than necessary.

The only real remnants of it are in quick post-it notes and signatures. We won't be able to obsolete those as long as we use physical paper as much as we do.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I hope handwriting does go out the window. It takes more time than typing and has no advantage over it. It's a waste of time, energy, and material.
    Efficiency is the end of all things now?

Oh well, pray your city is never hit by an EMP bomb anytime soon.

MBTI
    INFP

Erg, I think this is absurd. I can't think of a future where my kids won't be able to WRITE WITH THEIR OWN HANDS.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Efficiency is the end of all things now?

Oh well, pray your city is never hit by an EMP bomb anytime soon.

I was thinking about some cataclysmic event like that. Tools are okay until you become reliant on them for survival. Then your species becomes endangered.

Oh, and Athenian, I tried to explain some possible advantages to handwriting over typing in my original post. Do you have any thoughts on what I said about the subconscious influence of it, that is, some extra bits being transferred through it that don't carry over in typing?