User Tag List

First 6789 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    Understood your view point. I just see so many cases in which handwriting is quicker than typing. If it's only a brief note... page or two... it's easier writing it out in a notebook than to open up the computer, type it up and print it.
    Okay, and now I finally get your viewpoint. I agree with you there. I had been thinking about something much longer.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    It won't be long until computer skills become the new basics.
    I'm wondering what will happen when the next generation comes along and complains that learning how to use a keyboard takes too much time and effort!
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    I will look forward to the day when the youth of today lament the loss of text speak, "In my day we wrote with a beautiful mixture of letters and numbers, kids these days with their telepathic brain implants wouldn't know their rs frm thr Lb0s..."
    Haha. You beat me to it!

And just wait until they call you an old Fuddyduddy. Man, that's gonna sting the first time around.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    *sigh* why is it that people are so against doing something more efficiently?
    Did you take time to read every post here, Whatever? If so, I'm wondering why you still see this as an argument against keyboarding.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    Did you take time to read every post here, Whatever? If so, I'm wondering why you still see this as an argument against keyboarding.
    I did- and my wondering is why cursive is forced upon unwilling people in the first place!

it just seems like a bad idea to me, that's all.....
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Haha. You beat me to it!

And just wait until they call you an old Fuddyduddy. Man, that's gonna sting the first time around.
    I'll kick them up the bum and tell them to respect their elders and that when I was young I would never have thought of such a thing, that back around the turn of the century people were always kind and respectful to each other and the education system was perfect (oh yeah and we knew the meaning of hard work, no house robots for us!).

That should about do it.

MBTI
    INTJ

I'm another poor performer in the handwriting arena (the only "C" I ever got was in penmanship). I write left handed but do most else right handed, so there is probably some dexterity issues that added to the challenge. I also write very fast - I hate trying to get my hands to catch up to my thoughts.

I do MORE writing via computer these days. But I still maintain appreciation for handwriting as a tool for really quick, short, and portable notes. I also agree with the OP contention that there are many subtle and multifaceted characteristics communicated in hand writing that do not exist in typing.

I read some books on handwriting analysis. It is stunning how many definable personality traits are displayed in handwriting. In addition, there are many pathologies that are displayed in handwriting.

I also read a book that explored the idea that if pathologies (or negative traits) can be displayed in handwriting, there may be a theraputic effect by practicing writing and eliminating the characteristics related to negative traits and integrating characteristics related to positive traits.

I spent some time doing this out of curiosity as kind of a self-therapy. I enjoyed it, and I think it had a positive effect. I suppose the effect may have been due to my making a concerted effort to recognize and modify personality traits. But changing my handwriting may have contributed too.

Here's the link for those interested.

Amazon.com: Your Handwriting Can Change Your Life!: Vimala Rodgers: Books

MBTI
    INFP

They made me take chemistry. I don't know why they forced it on me. I have no use for it and I didn't like doing it. Was that ever dumb!

Odd how well-rounded my education turned out to be. . .

More seriously, it is true that they have too many things to teach in elementary these days. That's because they're having to teach children the basic things they should be learning at home and aren't. Like morality (Eekers on that one) and courtesy and other things the parents are tired of working all day then trying to "force" upon their children hoping they'll grow up with a llittle civility other than just being skilled cell-phone communicating creatures.

I was at "The Nutcracker" over Christmas and a twenty-something in front of me spent the time using his cell to stay in touch with his buds. Strange behavior indeed. Sumpin wrong with this picture. . .

Arcesso pulli gingerios! Eldanen's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTp

They made me take chemistry. I don't know why they forced it on me. I have no use for it and I didn't like doing it. Was that ever dumb!

Odd how well-rounded my education turned out to be. . .

More seriously, it is true that they have too many things to teach in elementary these days. That's because they're having to teach children the basic things they should be learning at home and aren't. Like morality (Eekers on that one) and courtesy and other things the parents are tired of working all day then trying to "force" upon their children hoping they'll grow up with a llittle civility other than just being skilled cell-phone communicating creatures.

I was at "The Nutcracker" over Christmas and a twenty-something in front of me spent the time using his cell to stay in touch with his buds. Strange behavior indeed. Sumpin wrong with this picture. . .
    I'm just glad that I won't be a kid during the time when all this backlashes and parents start reigning their kids in again, hahaha!

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I'm wondering what will happen when the next generation comes along and complains that learning how to use a keyboard takes too much time and effort!
    Well, life has been getting more and more ergonomically friendly as time goes on, but I think that's a good thing and that it improves quality-of-life.