User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Stars View Post
    Thanks for putting words into my mouth. I was only making a general statement.
    Sorry. Sometimes I read too much into things people say.

Okay, new question... does anyone here think that people should stop using computers and typing things, or are you simply trying to make sure handwriting remains a common skill so that it can be used where it will be beneficial?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj

The latter, of course.
    Enneagram 9w1 sp/so
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Writing, calligraphy and typology is an art form. Sometimes you have to exposed to it overtime... to let it seep in to appreciate it.

As a kid, I hated practicing handwriting... it was so messy and looked like crap. Hated how my grade school teacher made us practice on lined sheets of paper imitating the sample. All I need to do was to look over at the perfect letterings of the girl who sat next to me and I get upset. Why couldn't I write like that? Then I made up my mind that I didn't care. I ended up making my own form of half print, half "italics" writing... habits taken up from rapid note-taking in lectures.

It's only now, when I became interested in design that I start paying attention to letter and word structure in typography. Only when I practice calligraphy that I notice how it all improved manual dexterity.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    Writing, calligraphy and typology is an art form. Sometimes you have to exposed to it overtime... to let it seep in to appreciate it.

As a kid, I hated practicing handwriting... it was so messy and looked like crap. Hated how my grade school teacher made us practice on lined sheets of paper imitating the sample. All I need to do was to look over at the perfect letterings of the girl who sat next to me and I get upset. Why couldn't I write like that? Then I made up my mind that I didn't care. I ended up making my own form of half print, half "italics" writing... habits taken up from rapid note-taking in lectures.

It's only now, when I became interested in design that I start paying attention to letter and word structure in typography. Only when I practice calligraphy that I notice how it all improved manual dexterity.
    Are you telling me that you're on their side and see my perspective as childish? It's not very clear what you mean.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Are you telling me that you're on their side and see my perspective as childish? It's not very clear what you mean.
    The INFJ answer: I meant to say it depends on your purpose. Being able to handwrite neatly is a very useful thing to have. For example, you're given two notes... one penned with flourishes, the other printed... which will make a better impression? Now compare a wedding invitation in calligraphy vs one that's typed. In some cases, efficiency might not be the only thing of importance.

However you need to factor in the time it takes for you to learn all that. How often would you need to write something for another person by hand? It varies from person to person. You should based your decision on whether it'll be time well spent.

The INTJ answer: Yes. Quite childish. I also noticed that if we're initially bad at doing something... we sort of "give up" on it and never truly see all the things it has to offer. That was what I meant by the "seeping".
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    The INTJ answer: Yes. Quite childish. I also noticed that if we're initially bad at doing something... we sort of "give up" on it and never truly see all the things it has to offer. That was what I meant by the "seeping".
    Just because writing things by hand has aesthetic value and develops a skill that can best be appreciated over time, it's justified to push to keep it as a primary way of composing documents? For the purposes of most kind of writing, I disagree.

Your sense of aesthetics has blinded you, I suppose. You're one of them now. I'm disappointed.

MBTI
    INFP

I think you've missed the point, Athenian. Eldanen and Peguy both talk about retaining both aspects of communication.

You are saying that, since you prefer one over the other, one should be eliminated. This attitude is self-centered and indicates a lack of thought on your part about the value that some things have.

In the Sixties our town fathers decided that all of our beautiful architecture was outdated and destroyed a number of historic buildings, put up new streetlights, so forth.

Recently the city has spent a great deal of money to make modern streetlights look like the old lampstyle lights again because they look prettier, they've decided. How bizarre.

It is an error of each generation to want to discard the old because their way works better. The value lies in keeping some and changing some, not throwing the baby out with the bath water for personal preference. There is a reason, whether you can fathom it or not, why some things have been a tradition for thousands of years. And the reason is not technology.

It's incredible to me to hear you say that something doesn't make sense to you so the culture shouldn't have it. Amazing. Just think - if certain personality types ruled supreme you may not even have a computer with that attitude.

And are you naive enough to imagine that you will always have a computer or that it will always work? You've lived a very priveleged life, if so.

The cultures which survive our coming crises will be the ones accustomed to doing manual labor for their needs. High tech people won't have a clue how to find something to put in a sandwich!

We need a little of everything.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

Arcesso pulli gingerios! Eldanen's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTp

Perhaps we should get rid of arithmetic in the school setting. You know, we have calculators today that can do the job faster and more efficiently. And people can just carry a calculator around with them wherever they go.

</sarcasm>

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Arcesso pulli gingerios! Eldanen's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Feel free to take them off at any time, Jack Flack .