User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj

I happen to do both quite well, and I intend on teaching my [future] kid/s handwriting if the school they attend doesn't.
    Enneagram 9w1 sp/so
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    They actually quit teaching cursive at my mom's school and teach keyboarding instead.

I can't say that I'm disappointed, as I quit writing cursive as soon as I could get away with it and have printed every since.
    You don't know how glad I am to hear someone say that. It's like a breath of fresh air... I was beginning to feel suffocated.

Arcesso pulli gingerios! Eldanen's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Culture revolves more around spirituality and aesthetics.

Civilization revolves more around practiciality and efficiency.

You need both, but sadly there's a great imbalance towards civilization at the expense of culture. We're more interested in kitsch then actual artwork.

Simple example: It maybe more practical or efficient to just get fast food for dinner rather than take the time and effort to cook a full course meal yourself; but which is more rewarding in the end?
    Haha. Exactly my point. In my earlier posts, using your language, I believe I was arguing that culture to some degree sustained and built civilization; without it we'd all be goners.

The fast food example really nails the idea on the head though, I think. It's not only more rewarding in the end that it probably tastes better, but it's also healthier. A good way to burn calories would probably be to expend the energy to cook a full-blown meal every day. "I've been slaving over a hot stove all day long!" as the saying goes.

Oh, and Athenian, think of it this way: what I'm saying is that the act of scribing letters by hand engages more mental processing than punching keys. More mental stimulation and activity, and you have a better product in the end. Yes, it can be tested, I believe. Just hook someone up to a machine that measures brain activity and have them write something on paper. Then have them type something. I haven't read any research on the subject, but I think that it's easy to see without the research that it's true. Why? Just because the process of pushing a key is simpler than the process of writing a letter.

If you view the mind as a feedback loop, you see that the more you can stimulate the mind in output (through writing by hand), the more spontaneous generation of ideas you'll have.

I'm not really using the amount of words necessary to show my point, but I'm tired right now.

Content. Content? DigitalMethod's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ

Well I think handwriting will always be. Maybe instead of paper though tablets of some sort?
    Anyway I don't think one should question if the writing will be neat or not. Because what I've noticed is, people roughly either have good or bad handwriting from the time they learn it. That's a vast generalization - sure. But really I see good and bad handwriting much like I see art ability, you either have it... or you don't. You can practice and get better sure, and it's easier to master than mastering painting or what not, but still.
    "The life of the individual has meaning only insofar as it aids in making the life of every living thing nobler and more beautiful."
    - Albert Einstein

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    You don't know how glad I am to hear someone say that. It's like a breath of fresh air... I was beginning to feel suffocated.
    I've never seen a point in having to learn to write TWICE (print and cursive) as opposed to once, when the first type of writing is signifigantly easier to read!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Eldanen View Post
    Haha. Exactly my point. In my earlier posts, using your language, I believe I was arguing that culture to some degree sustained and built civilization; without it we'd all be goners.

The fast food example really nails the idea on the head though, I think. It's not only more rewarding in the end that it probably tastes better, but it's also healthier. A good way to burn calories would probably be to expend the energy to cook a full-blown meal every day. "I've been slaving over a hot stove all day long!" as the saying goes.

Oh, and Athenian, think of it this way: what I'm saying is that the act of scribing letters by hand engages more mental processing than punching keys. More mental stimulation and activity, and you have a better product in the end. Yes, it can be tested, I believe. Just hook someone up to a machine that measures brain activity and have them write something on paper. Then have them type something. I haven't read any research on the subject, but I think that it's easy to see without the research that it's true. Why? Just because the process of pushing a key is simpler than the process of writing a letter.
    Why does culture have to be based on things that are annoyingly slow and difficult and make no sense to me?

I mean, we still have culture. We still have museums and art galleries... art classes, music, libraries, and more. Why do THOSE specific things have to be so important? Why couldn't we just try to balance them by introducing more aesthetic or spiritual qualities into other areas of our lives? Like maybe giving people Rubix cubes, studying philosophy, crossword puzzles, or something like that to work with.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I've never seen a point in having to learn to write TWICE (print and cursive) as opposed to once, when the first type of writing is signifigantly easier to read!
    That would only be true if you suck at handwriting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Why does culture have to be based on things that are annoyingly slow and difficult and make no sense to me?
    Handwriting is actually faster and more efficient than printing once you are proficient enough at it.
    Enneagram 9w1 sp/so
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Stars View Post
    Handwriting is actually faster and more efficient than printing once you are proficient enough at it.
    And it's still not faster than typing. You're using the same argument I am, and then denying that it has any meaning? Sigh, I give up.

I guess all that matters is that some people like handwriting and think it teaches discipline and character or something. There's not much to be done for that. Sigh.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj

Thanks for putting words into my mouth. I was only making a general statement.
    Enneagram 9w1 sp/so
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Stars View Post
    That would only be true if you suck at handwriting.
    I consistantly failed handwriting when I was a child- nothing like having the school invent something useless for you to learn so that they can fail you in it

(I also failed citizenship apparently getting bored and wandering off is a bad thing to do or something!)
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett