• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

German

GargoylesLegacy

Kickin' Ass since 1984
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w9
Okay, so let's see here...(Littrell, this is a thread for you, too. :D)

Yes - Ja
No - Nein
Thanks - Danke
Left - Links
Right - Rechts

Where - Wo
When - Wann
Why - Wieso, Warum
Who - Wer
What - Was

Where is... - Wo ist...
Toilet - Toilette
Hospital - Krankenhaus (tho, Hospital works too just in case)
Hotel - Hotel
Police - Polizei
Train station - Bahnhof

What time is it? - Wie spät ist es?
half past - halb
a quarter past - Viertel nach
a quarter to - Viertel vor
one - eins
two - zwei
three - drei
four - vier
five - fünf
six - sechs
seven - sieben
eight - acht
nine - neun
ten - zehn
eleven - elf
twelve - zwölf

Hm, what else...is there a certain occasion you need words for or just random?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
von 0 auf 100 in 5,6 sekunden.

With that words you'll get a beer everywhere. :D

GargoylesLegacy

Kickin' Ass since 1984
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w9
von 0 auf 100 in 5,6 sekunden.

With that words you'll get a beer everywhere. :D
*lol* Yeah, awesome. Teach him all the really important stuff, entro. =P

Oh and I had some more ideas, actually.

My name is... - Mein Name ist... / Ich heisse... / Ich bin...
How are you? - Wie geht es dir?
fine - gut
bad - schlecht

Gee, what else can one need? Some more information would be good. ^^°

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
If you actually cant like me you have to say it. But by acknowledging everything I say it will win you no prize.

GargoylesLegacy

Kickin' Ass since 1984
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w9
Well in English you know how it sounds and in German Name is spelt something like this:
N
a [flat a, like in awesome]
m
e [said like in everybody]

Get the idea?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
German tends to be very phonetic. Say it like it's spelled, once you get a feel for pronunciation. Not like french, where you only actually say 4 letters out of the 11.

GargoylesLegacy

Kickin' Ass since 1984
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w9
German tends to be very phonetic. Say it like it's spelled, once you get a feel for pronunciation. Not like french, where you only actually say 4 letters out of the 11.
*lol* VERY true! :D
Though, we don't really pronounce the "h"s in the middle of a word. That letter is just to make others longer.

So for example if I take the word "stehen" (stand). You basically pronounce it ste-en in German. (and by they way the "ste" part is spelt like the STE- in step, so you get the idea).

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
*lol* VERY true! :D
Though, we don't really pronounce the "h"s in the middle of a word. That letter is just to make others longer.

So for example if I take the word "stehen" (stand). You basically pronounce it ste-en in German. (and by they way the "ste" part is spelt like the STE- in step, so you get the idea).

Yep, for some reason I've always intuitively done this, even in english. My grandparents would speak so much I inherited that little quirk. But it still has an actual sound and rule, and spoken words sound like they read, which helps with the language a lot I think.

GargoylesLegacy

Kickin' Ass since 1984
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w9
But it still has an actual sound and rule, and spoken words sound like they read, which helps with the language a lot I think.
Yes it does! From the spelling German is quite easy. You just read what you see. No strings attached. That's actually good. It's kinda freaky how many languages swallow letters, add random stuff or whatever. ^^°

Uhm...oh and what is also different about German is the writing. I just feel like mentioning that "we" actually write the nouns big. In English you mostly just write names that way, in German you write all the nouns like that. I used to combine German writing style with English, so if you ever wanna see how that looks, just check some of my old posts. *lol*

Hm, did I actually forget to mention some stuff in those lists up there? I mean are there any words that belong to basics that I forgot? If you have ideas let me know. Especially since I am not sure what exactly Anentropic IxTx wanted to do with these words. I mean for example when going to a restaurant or whatever the stuff up there won't really help TOO much. *lol* So yup, if anything is missing, let me know. =)

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Yes it does! From the spelling German is quite easy. You just read what you see. No strings attached. That's actually good. It's kinda freaky how many languages swallow letters, add random stuff or whatever. ^^°

Uhm...oh and what is also different about German is the writing. I just feel like mentioning that "we" actually write the nouns big. In English you mostly just write names that way, in German you write all the nouns like that. I used to combine German writing style with English, so if you ever wanna see how that looks, just check some of my old posts. *lol*

I really like this about German. Subjects and nouns are built into the written style of the language and easily identified. There is a clear distinction in the parts of the language. I also love how nouns are just crammed into one word, helps when it comes to agreements and and subject identification. Not to mention I think it's extremely efficient. But what else would you expect from them :)

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Yea the temperament have got the french :D

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCK-Cp9fYFI"]Eric Cantona, the legend :D[/YOUTUBE]

Anentropic IxTx

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
we don't really pronounce the "h"s in the middle of a word That letter is just to make others longer.
So for example if I take the word "stehen" (stand). You basically pronounce it ste-en in German.

I've always done this instinctively as well. Do you ever pronounce the h?

I am not sure what exactly Anentropic IxTx wanted to do with these words

Just learn. :coffee: I'm interested in languages.
And possibly impress my English teacher :dry:

GargoylesLegacy

Kickin' Ass since 1984
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w9
I've always done this instinctively as well. Do you ever pronounce the h?
Well, yeah the H is pronounced. When being in the beginning, like in "Hotel". But somewhere in between...nope. You could, but it is somewhat like an unwritten rule like in English. For Example when you say "Birmingham". Normal English people dun pronounce the H there. If you do people will just know you are not from there. Same with German. =P

Just learn. :coffee: I'm interested in languages.
And possibly impress my English teacher :dry:
Ooh, I see. So I can basically throw any random stuff at you. *lol*

So, how about you greet your teacher with "Guten Morgen" in the mornings, since it means "good morning"? And then you could say something like "Wie haben Sie geschlafen?" (how did you sleep?). :D

Oh and also I just remembered...you sometimes say "Gesundheit" when somebody sneezes, right? There you go, more German.

ZiL

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
567?
My favorite word is:

WIRKLICH?! - "really"

You can say it obnoxiously in so many situations.

OH, and "also" - "well; so; you know" is highly useful, lol. You should read "The Awful German Language" by Mark Twain, he gives a nice rundown on the word "also," among other things.

The Third Rider

MBTI Type
ENFj
:popc1: This is facinating, I always wanted to learn German, for some reason I always felt this attraction towards Germany too, weird. Anyways just like in Spanish you don't mention the H either I see. I should take some classes and have my ass dumped in Germany to see if I can learn the lenguage, that is how I learned English after all.:D