Kickin' Ass since 1984 GargoylesLegacy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    esTp

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    German tends to be very phonetic. Say it like it's spelled, once you get a feel for pronunciation. Not like french, where you only actually say 4 letters out of the 11.
    *lol* VERY true!
    Though, we don't really pronounce the "h"s in the middle of a word. That letter is just to make others longer.

So for example if I take the word "stehen" (stand). You basically pronounce it ste-en in German. (and by they way the "ste" part is spelt like the STE- in step, so you get the idea).
    Rule #1: Driver picks the music. Shotgun shuts his cakehole.

Again, Demons I get, but people are just crazy.

ESTP? o.O

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GargoylesLegacy View Post
    *lol* VERY true!
    Though, we don't really pronounce the "h"s in the middle of a word. That letter is just to make others longer.

So for example if I take the word "stehen" (stand). You basically pronounce it ste-en in German. (and by they way the "ste" part is spelt like the STE- in step, so you get the idea).
    Yep, for some reason I've always intuitively done this, even in english. My grandparents would speak so much I inherited that little quirk. But it still has an actual sound and rule, and spoken words sound like they read, which helps with the language a lot I think.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    esTp

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    But it still has an actual sound and rule, and spoken words sound like they read, which helps with the language a lot I think.
    Yes it does! From the spelling German is quite easy. You just read what you see. No strings attached. That's actually good. It's kinda freaky how many languages swallow letters, add random stuff or whatever. ^^

Uhm...oh and what is also different about German is the writing. I just feel like mentioning that "we" actually write the nouns big. In English you mostly just write names that way, in German you write all the nouns like that. I used to combine German writing style with English, so if you ever wanna see how that looks, just check some of my old posts. *lol*

Hm, did I actually forget to mention some stuff in those lists up there? I mean are there any words that belong to basics that I forgot? If you have ideas let me know. Especially since I am not sure what exactly Anentropic IxTx wanted to do with these words. I mean for example when going to a restaurant or whatever the stuff up there won't really help TOO much. *lol* So yup, if anything is missing, let me know. =)

ESTP? o.O

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Yes it does! From the spelling German is quite easy. You just read what you see. No strings attached. That's actually good. It's kinda freaky how many languages swallow letters, add random stuff or whatever. ^^

Uhm...oh and what is also different about German is the writing. I just feel like mentioning that "we" actually write the nouns big. In English you mostly just write names that way, in German you write all the nouns like that. I used to combine German writing style with English, so if you ever wanna see how that looks, just check some of my old posts. *lol*
    I really like this about German. Subjects and nouns are built into the written style of the language and easily identified. There is a clear distinction in the parts of the language. I also love how nouns are just crammed into one word, helps when it comes to agreements and and subject identification. Not to mention I think it's extremely efficient. But what else would you expect from them

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Yea the temperament have got the french

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCK-Cp9fYFI"]Eric Cantona, the legend [/YOUTUBE]
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LII?

we don't really pronounce the "h"s in the middle of a word That letter is just to make others longer.
    So for example if I take the word "stehen" (stand). You basically pronounce it ste-en in German.
    I've always done this instinctively as well. Do you ever pronounce the h?

I am not sure what exactly Anentropic IxTx wanted to do with these words
    Just learn. I'm interested in languages.
    And possibly impress my English teacher

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    esTp

Quote Originally Posted by Anentropic IxTx View Post
    I've always done this instinctively as well. Do you ever pronounce the h?
    Well, yeah the H is pronounced. When being in the beginning, like in "Hotel". But somewhere in between...nope. You could, but it is somewhat like an unwritten rule like in English. For Example when you say "Birmingham". Normal English people dun pronounce the H there. If you do people will just know you are not from there. Same with German. =P

Just learn. I'm interested in languages.
    And possibly impress my English teacher
    Ooh, I see. So I can basically throw any random stuff at you. *lol*

So, how about you greet your teacher with "Guten Morgen" in the mornings, since it means "good morning"? And then you could say something like "Wie haben Sie geschlafen?" (how did you sleep?).

Oh and also I just remembered...you sometimes say "Gesundheit" when somebody sneezes, right? There you go, more German.

ESTP? o.O

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    567?
    Socionics
    ILE

My favorite word is:

WIRKLICH?! - "really"

You can say it obnoxiously in so many situations.

OH, and "also" - "well; so; you know" is highly useful, lol. You should read "The Awful German Language" by Mark Twain, he gives a nice rundown on the word "also," among other things.
    ALL AROUND THE WORLD PEOPLE EATIN' GUMBO

MBTI
    ENFj

This is facinating, I always wanted to learn German, for some reason I always felt this attraction towards Germany too, weird. Anyways just like in Spanish you don't mention the H either I see. I should take some classes and have my ass dumped in Germany to see if I can learn the lenguage, that is how I learned English after all.
    ENFJ 3W4

If you read this I am sorry to say that you just lost 5 seconds of your life that you wont be getting back.*

*Actual time may vary.

MBTI
    INTJ

Michel Thomas ftw
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume