User Tag List

First 678910 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    512 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by A Schnitzel View Post
    Are they inextricable, or this how the system is currently set up?

One can analyze the theme of a literary work without relating it to ideas that are politically oriented.
    Seriously? Are you delusional? How can you study a piece of work without relating it to its historical and political context? Would you really understand it then?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by nonsequitur View Post
    Seriously? Are you delusional? How can you study a piece of work without relating it to its historical and political context? Would you really understand it then?
    Contemporary and historical context to be exact.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    512 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Works View Post
    Contemporary and historical context to be exact.
    Pedant.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

While you might be referring to the historical & political context in Shakespeare's England...I understand that Julius Caesar was a historical joke when comparing it to actual Roman history, is that right? Make no mistake and think I've actually read it. I can't stand Shakespeare.

WTF is this dude saying? A Schnitzel's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    B.S.

First of all you can cut the hysterics. I'm questioning ideas, not personally attacking you.

There are plenty of works of literature that relate much more to the current mind state of the author and transcend the political and economic climate the author was under. Of course a person can look at historical and economic context if it looks fruitful to do so, but that doesn't mean all works have a strong relation to it.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Which reminds me. I'd rather read hastily thrown together historical accounts of some interesting period or event than the most carefully constructed novel. I would say presentation is irrelevant, but it's not, because the more polished it is, the more pretentious it is, and usually the incorporated style is just sad. Metaphors are thin 999 times of 1,000, and when they're not, the themes are absolutely too odd to be deciphered.

I can read interesting true stories all week long, however badly written they are. Give me some good literature though, and I'll fucking throw up.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Jack, how do you tell truth from fiction?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Jack, how do you tell truth from fiction?
    When it says "Fiction" or "Nonfiction" on the cover, maybe?

Styles are different too, you know. Fiction is written with formulas in mind, while true stories by their nature aren't.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    When it says "Fiction" or "Nonfiction" on the cover, maybe?

Styles are different too, you know. Fiction is written with formulas in mind, while true stories by their nature aren't.
    Hmm.

This explains a lot.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    512 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    While you might be referring to the historical & political context in Shakespeare's England...I understand that Julius Caesar was a historical joke when comparing it to actual Roman history, is that right? Make no mistake and think I've actually read it. I can't stand Shakespeare.
    Yep, the history was fictional. But the politics of social classes/divisions, betrayal and republican democracy are equally applicable today.

Quote Originally Posted by A Schnitzel View Post
    First of all you can cut the hysterics. I'm questioning ideas, not personally attacking you.

There are plenty of works of literature that relate much more to the current mind state of the author and transcend the political and economic climate the author was under. Of course a person can look at historical and economic context if it looks fruitful to do so, but that doesn't mean all works have a strong relation to it.
    Not hysterics. You didn't read my tone right. I was wondering if you were actually serious.

Okay, looking at works that explore the "current state of mind" of the author. What about Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment? It's ostensibly about the psychology and inner conflict of the main character, Rasolnikov. But leaving out examinations of what justice means to society and the individual and the role that poverty plays in crime - that's omitting a large chunk of what's relevant to human life and important.

How about you give an example of a great work of literature that does not have a strong relation to history or politics? This feels like I'm shadow-boxing with hypotheticals.