User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    Such as what happened to me? I never knew blind obedience to anti-walmart propaganda constituted "intellectual stimulation"... thanks!
    I bet my bottom dollar that your English comp class was not a high-level English course. It was probably the same English 101/102 class that I took to satisfy a gen ed requirement.

Try taking an advanced rhetoric, linguistics, or literature class if you are looking for intellectual stimulation - not freshman comp. Come on.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post

Hey, fellow English majors.

MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII None

My English teachers have always been nice.. very nice & definitely nice teachers even the one who was in her 60s or maybe even 70s. And one of them went beyond just being a just a teacher of English, though I doubt she realized that.... professional, accommodating without being unjust, precise without being pedantic etc. a good teacher... and I'd think that teaching language isn't easy in the least!

besides, just Eileen & Tallulah are more than twice enough to disprove the op
    in more than one way

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    I bet my bottom dollar that your English comp class was not a high-level English course. It was probably the same English 101/102 class that I took to satisfy a gen ed requirement.

Try taking an advanced rhetoric, linguistics, or literature class if you are looking for intellectual stimulation - not freshman comp. Come on.
    Yeah, I took a Rhetoric & Persuasive Writing class last semester, and had a good teacher. He was someone in whose class you actually enjoyed sitting and discussing. As someone else said, he spent a lot of time re-teaching us what "good writing" entailed--which, even if you don't agree with it, at least provides more options for you to consider "good." He challenged us to think about and write about literary theory and lots of other fields of material that I hadn't seen much in an English class before.

The point is that I learned a lot in his class, and enjoyed it in the process.

My middle-school teachers were very boring for the most part. I had the same English/Literature teacher for all four years of high school, and I have no complaints about her. The other English teacher that my friends had was a little quirky, which was fun unless she was in one of her bad moods. Anyway, in high school, the main focus was literature and interpretation of that.

I guess, putting it into perspective, this means that I was pretty lucky in my experience.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

However, I DID have a few critical theory classes that stretched my brain and helped me see how many different ways there are to approach a text. It may be that you simply don't think that being able to read in a variety of ways is important... or that you just don't get it. Whatever.
    I'm almost sure that a critical theory class (at least the way I've experienced them) would only confirm risen's notion that English teachers are rigid and dogmatic. And I say this not as a criticism of critical theory, but rather because I get the feeling that this whole topic stems more from political conflicts than from problems with course mechanics or design.

And actually, it's not just a feeling that I'm getting. There is a trend in this thread involving those with known non-American-version-of-liberal political leanings having problems with their English teachers/profs/instructors. I think this is the result of one of three things:

1. The teacher/prof/instructor awarded lower grades to student X because his/her work reflected a different political ideology than the professor's (which, in the case of English classes, is usually very liberal in the contemporary American sense of the term).

2. The teacher/prof/instructor didn't present (or entertain) any political perspective as valid other than the one that he/she already held.

3. As a student, person X didn't want to hear any ideas other than the one that he/she had already set out to invest themselves in intellectually and emotionally, and therefore had a de-facto problem with the instructor that encouraged students to look at issues from a different (and probably polar opposite) political perspective.

Personally, I've never really seen any of #1 happening, but I've seen a little of #2 (depending on the instructor, of course), and a lot of #3. Of course, it could just be that people have problems with the overall design of their English courses, or the personalities of their particular instructors...if so, my post doesn't apply to you.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

It's true, I ran into the politics thing in that Rhetoric class, as we studied a lot of political writing (just speaking from my own experience, and then I'll stop talking). Of course the class had a slant, teacher and students mostly agreeing, but I tried not to let it bother me. Things worked out pretty well. Even if you don't like the political slant, I figure you can reapply what's taught to your own political preference. It's not like the politics dictates the literary theory itself, does it?
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I don't think many people take English 101 because they want to.

The people who take the most "advanced" (hehe) English courses most likely don't have a problem with the lesser courses anyway. The systemic problem is that the courses everyone at the institution is required to take are uninteresting, and the teachers often lack the skills to handle people who are worlds above them in intellect, but have trouble following the "senseless" rules of writing in these classes.

As is obvious, I have a lifelong love affair with the run-on sentence, and if I want to use one, I don't need a damn SJ writing "run-on" in red ink.

MBTI
    ENFP

English teachers are victims of a really bad system.. English is not taught well and this is one of the reasons why many English speaking countries suck at learning foreign langs
    ... couldn't drag me away

Željko Ražnatovic: argus
    Željko Ražnatovic: do you want heir's?
    WildHorses: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Željko Ražnatovic: to carry your genealogical code??

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1

No, no, no!

I love all the English teachers that I've had within the past five years or so. Though, I was definitely lucky. All of them had to be qualified to teach where I am, and they're excellent.

Sucks for you guys, though. If they're not into it, they're not into it. Then again, that goes for anyone with a job they're not so in love with.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    I don't think many people take English 101 because they want to.

The people who take the most "advanced" (hehe) English courses most likely don't have a problem with the lesser courses anyway. The systemic problem is that the courses everyone at the institution is required to take are uninteresting, and the teachers often lack the skills to handle people who are worlds above them in intellect, but have trouble following the "senseless" rules of writing in these classes.

As is obvious, I have a lifelong love affair with the run-on sentence, and if I want to use one, I don't need a damn SJ writing "run-on" in red ink.

Classic arrogant NTP!
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?